Latest driver models who support scanning (disc quality)

vbimport

Hi;

First of all many thanks for this amazing Forum with so important information!

I passed the whole day reading the posts and now I understand that to perform CD Quality tests using CDSpeed or DVDInfoPro for example the recommended drivers are BENQ and LITEON.

Question: Could somebody please identify the latest model names from any brand who can support the full scanning?
Currently I live in Hong Kong (I am Brazilian) and basically here only can find the latest models available for purchase.

Thanks for the help! :bow:

All the current LiteOn DVD burners support quality scanning on DVD media with Nero CD-DVD Speed (and Nero DriveSpeed). I don’t use DVDInfoPro for that purpose, so I can’t comment on that.

LiteOn DVD burners will scan CD media, but they are unfit for the purpose, since they don’t report all the relevant errors.

The older Nexperia chipset based BenQ drives e.g. DW1655/1650/1640/1620 are excellent for scanning CD media, but those drives haven’t been in production for a while and are very hard to find.

The newer BenQ DVD burners are based on the same MediaTek chipset as the LiteOn DVD burners, and I believe they can all perform quality scanning like LiteOn drives, but I haven’t studied if they are as well suited for DVD scanning as the LiteOn drives.

You could check for more detail in our LiteOn/Sony and BenQ/Philips forums.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2132181]All the current LiteOn DVD burners support quality scanning on DVD media with Nero CD-DVD Speed (and Nero DriveSpeed). I don’t use DVDInfoPro for that purpose, so I can’t comment on that.

LiteOn DVD burners will scan CD media, but they are unfit for the purpose, since they don’t report all the relevant errors.

The older Nexperia chipset based BenQ drives e.g. DW1655/1650/1640/1620 are excellent for scanning CD media, but those drives haven’t been in production for a while and are very hard to find.

The newer BenQ DVD burners are based on the same MediaTek chipset as the LiteOn DVD burners, and I believe they can all perform quality scanning like LiteOn drives, but I haven’t studied if they are as well suited for DVD scanning as the LiteOn drives.

You could check for more detail in our LiteOn/Sony and BenQ/Philips forums.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

DrageMester;

Many thanks for your nice reply!

All CDFreaks members;

I checked and read the LiteOn posts and I still would like some recommendations; I still have some doubts…

I will purchase LiteOn and would like to use this model for the following functions:

• Has Lighscribe (desirable)
  • Can perform the full Quality DVD scanning and should have jitter testing
  • Will be used for DVD quality checking; mostly DVD+R DL media. CD checking I don’t mind.
  • Either IDE or SATA is fine for me

I already have other burners for writing (DVR-115, DVR-215, TS-H353B,DVR-111)

Checking the LiteOn website I found the following models:

iHAS422
iHAP422
iHAS220
(these three models seems to be the latest ones and is preferable)
DH-20A4H
DH-20A3L
DH-20A3H
LH-20A1L: the review says it is not good for DL, also do not confirm whether have full checking
LH-20A1H: have jitter testing but looks an old model and no lighscribe
DH

Which models can perform the functions I need?

Thanks for the support!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2132181]The newer BenQ DVD burners are based on the same MediaTek chipset as the LiteOn DVD burners, and I believe they can all perform quality scanning like LiteOn drives, but I haven’t studied if they are as well suited for DVD scanning as the LiteOn drives.[/QUOTE]

The newer BenQ burners are Lite-Ons. Same drives, not just same chipset. Only difference is firmware, and you can cross-flash back and forth.

[QUOTE=joliverio;2132264]

• Has Lighscribe (desirable)
  • Can perform the full Quality DVD scanning and should have jitter testing
  • Will be used for DVD quality checking; mostly DVD+R DL media. CD checking I don’t mind.
  • Either IDE or SATA is fine for me
    [/QUOTE]

Your two best choices if you want to buy a burner right now and can’t wait are the DH-20A3H (IDE+LS) or DH-20A3L (SATA+LS). Unfortunately, they have been discontinued so they may be hard to find, or at least find cheap.

Your two best choices if you can wait a little longer for them to be released are the iHAP422 (IDE+LS) or iHAS422 (SATA+LS). Those are the newest 22x burners that Lite-On is about to unleash.