Latest consensus on the best DVDR media

Spent a few hours tonight searching these forums for the latest information, but there still seems to be opposing views regarding which brands/MIDs are the best media currently available, and whether +R discs have any advantage over -R if bit-setting isn’t used. Also, it is difficult to digest the wide assortment of information and opinions expressed in threads on these subjects when many of them span hundreds of posts over several years.

How about a new thread that sums-up which media currently rates best, closing it after a few days and make it sticky? This way it won’t turn into a thread that is too long or too contradictory or too old to be relevant and concise. :disagree:

Questions:
Is it still true that Verbatims can be the best overall DVDR (write quality/longevity) but it is difficult to consistantly find good batches?

Is it still true that while TY media may not have as durable bonding adhesive as Verbatim does, thereby possibly having a shorter life-span, there is more consistancy in dye quality batch-to-batch, and it is easier to find grade-A batches? (I have 4-YO TYGO2 discs, and all are still well-bonded and pass a TRT perfectly.)

My goal is to buy several hundred DVD-R Inkjet printables and I thought the 8x TYG02’s (Premium, not the value-lines) at Supermediastore with free shipping looked like a good deal; seems like I’ve read that they are better than the newer 16x media. But I also wonder where all this 8x stuff keeps coming from if it’s been out of production for a year or more? Will consider Verb -R media if someone can point me to a verified good batch at a decent price… :slight_smile:

Currently have a NEC 2500 and 3550, and may soon also buy a Pioneer 112 or Sammy. All I care about is media that will get excellent write quality with these drives in burning video DVDs.

Thank you in advance. :bow:

Well after seeing many tests with professional scanning equipment, I’m sort of skeptical about the whole disc scanning thing.

Recently a comparison was done @ CDRInfo.com and the professional equipment showed burns that were good in Kprobe, were crap in the Datarius professional scanner. They use these machines to test pressed discs for errors as part of quality control - CDRInfo got their hands on one and use it for their media tests.

It seems that on these forums - the best disc is the one that scans the best. I don’t agree with this style of thinking, especially after seeing results in the Datarius. Bad batches are a funny issue IMO. Just because they scan worse, they are called bad batches. One of my previous MCC004 spindles all scanned with 2000 total PIF. My most recent one scans with less than 200 on every disc @ almost any speed. They both work fine though. I don’t think it’s wise to label one as worse unless one spindle shows better results @ 16x and another shows massive errors @ 16x with TRT problems. That’s pretty clear and cannot be disputed. But even those spindles with bad 16x burns, will still usually burn very acceptably @ 8x.

I personally do think Verbatim 16x discs are the best right now. Not just because of how they scan in my home drive but also but more so that they are:

• Very widely available
  • Almost all new drives have good FW support for it
  • Are compatible at a wide range of speeds (I’ve burnt it @ 2.4x without problems!)
  • Can be very cheap (TY is almost always more expensive)
  • Have been good over time & in aging tests
  • Most importantly, they work well in most players without issues

Compare it to TY, which IMO is pretty close with everything else but loses out on being cheap and available.

EDIT: You can buy the G02. I’ve used many of them without problems but I don’t think there’s much point if you can get verbatim for cheaper. Verbatim’s 8x -R are quite good for archive as they pass all accelerated aging tests very well. They are also very compatible with players and scan well in home drives. Another lesser known 8x disc is CMC MAG E01, which I rate right up there with Verbatim 8X -R MCC02RG20. I’d pick both of these over any TYG02. Especially since my E01s are about 2x cheaper than any G02 disc I can get.

I’d add Infiniti 16x +R (MCC004). These are the same media as Verb +R (not made in Japan) and of equal or better quality. Not so easy to find though.

And there will always be opposing views! Make your own mind with what you’ve read, we don’t need another “what’s the best media” thread IMO. A new one pops every week or so. :rolleyes: :doh:

Me neither :wink: - With or without Datarius. :bigsmile:

The best disc to me is the one I can still get my data off or watch flawlessly a year or so down the line :slight_smile:

Agree with you about CMC MAG E01 :iagree:

Yep, although I’m aiming at considerably longer than one year! :slight_smile:

LOL! ;)…I meant at least :smiley:

Complain complain…Do it this way. No don’t do it that way. Do it my way :rolleyes:

I expect 5 years at least, and more or less 12-15 years (from preliminary results of my 2 years survey, looks like even a lifespan of 50-60 years wouldn’t be too much to ask from some discs… :))

I read about that in my recent searching as well and glad for the info. For over a year now I’ve only used the TRT BECAUSE of the the number of discs with poor error scans that somehow still manage to read well at the TRT max speed. That is the true measure of a good burn in my opinion. Regarding bad batches, I meant mostly lots with bad dye distribution, poor bonding, or poor write/read quality in actual playback – not ENTIRELY based upon K-Probe scans, etc.

Hard to make up one’s mind when so many old, long, contradictory, and outdated threads exist here. :rolleyes: To fight the frequent asking of the same question, why not make this one sticky? :iagree:

That is indeed good news. Last year I got caught up in the panic of members here reporting that well-respected brands/MIDs were showing high PI/PO error rates after just a few months, leading many to believe the best DVDR media might only have a lifespan of a few years.

Thank you all for the responses! :slight_smile:

Whatever way you put it, you won’t ever have a “consensus” if the question you ask is “what’s the BEST DVDR media”, because first there are different opinions on this question, second it depends on what are your expectations behind the adjective “best”!

For some, it will be the best quality/price ratio, for others “the best money can buy”, for others “the most peace of mind media”, for others “the best scans”, for others “the best video compatibility”, the list goes on. Heck, for some, Ritek G05 can be the “best” media if it’s for very short-term use!

Then you have the different burners, firmware version etc…

So the “best” media doesn’t exist, just like the “best” car doesn’t, the “best” film doesn’t, the “best” woman or man doesn’t etc… etc…

That’s why, I think, the sticky threads are organized in a different fashion, to reply more specific questions.

I agree with Francksoy… so classify my reply as a “best media for ME” post where “peace of mind” is most important.

After playing with homebrew quality scanning for a while, I’m starting to think that Arachne’s point is the most valid one I’ve heard on these forums, ever. Comparing TRTs and DQ scans is kinda fun, but I think the secondary opinions I develop while scanning have become more important than the scans themselves–have I ever lost data on this MID, how is it in my stadalones, have I ever had slowdowns while reading from it, have I noticed any physical weirdness (splotches, nicked edges, separating layes, uneven dye, sloppy bonding, etc.), does it change color over time, do other people have problems reading my burns, etc. Here are a few media I have “good feelings” about.

T01: Never had any complaints. Old discs have held up very well. Too slow to interest me anymore.

T02: A remarkably uniform media. Offers very clean initial burns, and the only T02 I’ve caught degrading was thrown in the trunk of a car here in the desert for two years. Even then it is perfectly readable through the scratches. This is the most plentiful disc in my hoarded stockpile even if I rarely use it anymore.

MAXELL-002: Way to go, Hitachi. These things have been wonderfully stable, even if I think they might be a bit more fragile than other discs. I use them when making multiple copies of important stuff, normally with MCC-004 as the other medium. In the last couple weeks I was able to find 425 MAXELL-002’s… I think I bought every last one in my town.

MXL-RG03: Stable but fragile, consistent and widely compatible. I think it’s archival grade if you take care to store it properly. My local Sears has about 10 50pc spindles of this stuff, but I normally don’t buy any.

TYG02: Stable, a bit fragile, widely compatible. I don’t use this media much anymore.

MCC-002: Most of the older DVDs I have are this MID. They’re very durable, and they seem stable. All my MCC-002 are still readable even though I always overspeeded them to 8x. I have a single MIS 50pc spindle left.

MCC-003: These were wonderful @ 12x on a PX-712A. They were my favorite disc for a while. Durable, haven’t noticed any stability issues.

MCC-004: I’ve only burned these in the last couple years, but they feel the same as the previous MCC-00X discs–durable and stable. Recent consistency issues or not, I still trust them for long-term archiving along with MAXELL-002.

Mistaken you are for The Best man does exist… that would be me :bigsmile:

:clap: :clap: Now that’s a sensible approach of (to? :confused: )scanning (IMO)*. :iagree:

Yoda, technically, you’re not a man, you’re a tiny green-ish shrinky wrinkely alien with hairy ears… :bigsmile: - but OK, you’re the best at it… :flower:

*Please someone correct me, approach [I]of [/I]or approach [I]to[/I]?

Oh and as usual, my favorite [I]current[/I] media is in my signature…:wink:

Maybe the widest consensus is that Made-in-Taiwan-Verbatim-branded MCC004 would be the most commendable blanks now that YUDEN000T02 gets difficult to find, …but even this can be disputable.

Whatever way you put it, you won’t ever have a “consensus” if the question you ask is “what’s the BEST DVDR media”, because first there are different opinions on this question, second it depends on what are your expectations behind the adjective “best”!

For some, it will be the best quality/price ratio, for others “the best money can buy”, for others “the most peace of mind media”, for others “the best scans”, for others “the best video compatibility”, the list goes on. Heck, for some, Ritek G05 can be the “best” media if it’s for very short-term use!

Then you have the different burners, firmware version etc…

So the “best” media doesn’t exist, just like the “best” car doesn’t, the “best” film doesn’t, the “best” woman or man doesn’t etc… etc…

That’s why, I think, the sticky threads are organized in a different fashion, to reply more specific questions.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I was just trying to simplify the term a bit. But don’t most people want media that is reasonably priced yet gives very good writing and longevity? Only a small percentage are looking for the lowest priced media that will still get decent writes much of the time when coupled with the right burner/firmware, and fewer still seek the most expensive archival grade discs, etc… :wink: Regardless of user-opinion, the media’s cost, or intended use, it will be helpful for new or infrequent visiters here to find the latest information, if it is kept in a single thread that is locked before it becomes too long/outdated, and then “stickied” so others can find it.

So it looks like MCC-004 media is the current favorite here. (I assume that is the typical MID for Verbatim 16x – correct?) Seems I’ve read lately that the MIS or MIT batches are the best and MII should be avoided? Any MIJ available? Does RIMA have a good reputation for Grade-A Verbs, or are there other etaillers in the USA that are decent as well?

Thanks again!:slight_smile:

Have you read this thread? It’s not stuck though.

Thanks for the link – I’ll read it now. :slight_smile:

I’m in SW Missouri by the way :cool:

I didn’t say that. I was only saying that the way I see things, if consensus is what you’re after, MCC004 is probably what you’re looking for. Consensual stuff and favorite stuff are (sometimes VERY) different things. :wink:

Put differently, you’ll find very few people (almost no one) saying that Made in Taiwan Verbatim-branded MCC004 is not good media, which doesn’t mean that it’s the overall “favorite”, because there are many favorites, namely YUDEN000T02, MCC 003, MCC 004, TYG02, CMC MAG E01, TYG03 and YUDEN 00T03 for the most part, and also MAXELL002, MAXELL003… The consensus here about MCC 004 is not “has the most adepts”, but “has the least detractors” and “is easily available”. :bigsmile:

(I assume that is the typical MID for Verbatim 16x – correct?)
16X +R. It’s MCC 004 in all cases in the US, in Europe there is a Verbatim line that is called “Pearl whites” that is mostly non-MCC stuff. The “regular” Verbs are always MCC-technology discs.