Late fees are back at Blockbuster

vbimport

Late fees are back at Blockbuster.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/gVpHp2.jpg[/newsimage]Remember five years ago, when Blockbuster proudly announced "The End of Late Fees?" Those happy days are over.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/late-fees-are-back-at-blockbuster-26696/](http://www.myce.com/news/late-fees-are-back-at-blockbuster-26696/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Blockbuster sucks. If their rental prices weren’t so crazy maybe they’d get more business. With piracy rampant you’d think they would wise up and not charge $6 to rent a movie.

The author makes a good point though, with Redbox and Netflix starting to delay new releases for 30 days from some studios (such as Warner), Blockbuster might be the only option if you want to rent a new release immediately. Lame! I still doubt it will help save Blockbuster B&M stores, which appear to be going the way of the Dodo.

I agree with the first poster, 6 bux is too much for a rental. I can go to a more local rental store, and get a dvd rental for 4 bux, bluray for 5.

as for late fee’s thats understandable. how are you supposed to earn a profit if you can’t only rent out the movie as little as 3 times a month… lol

I went to get a pizza last night at Domino’s, so I had 15 minutes to kill while it cooked. I go next door to the Blockbuster, which is pretty big, just to see what’s out. I get to the door and look in and I don’t see anyone. Not even people who work there, plus the lights look pretty dim. I figure maybe the place is closed, but I try anyway and the door opens. There were two guys off to the side, that’s why I couldn’t see them. I was just amazed. This place really is quite big. Walls of movies. Not one customer, including me. Remember, I’m just killing time.

All I’m saying is why don’t they have a small store and stop putting 100 of the same movie on the wall? Blockbuster needs to evolve. They’ll be dead in a few years if they don’t smarten up. Small store = cheaper rent = survival.

On the way out I asked the guy how much a rental was. Almost $6 with tax. Yeah, good luck with that.

I do think they would do better in a smaller corner-shop type store like Duke mentions. DVDs don’t take up much space and you really don’t need to show off the front cover of every DVD, which means they could easily fit the same number in a small coffee-shop size area, which would in turn greatly cut the cost of rent, airconditioning/heating, lighting, cleaning and so on and in turn stop passing this cost on to their customers hidden in the rental fees.

I still remember in my childhood where my parents went out to rent a movie each week, renting them at a small busy local video store. I remember the store had just a single person working there at the cashier with a terminal to check in/out the rentals. There was no Blu-ray let alone DVD back then and we didn’t care; we just looked forward to the weekly movie. :smiley:

At $6 a rental, it’s probably more worth while going to the cinema instead.

I still remember in my childhood where my parents went out to rent a movie each week, renting them at a small busy local video store. I remember the store had just a single person working there at the cashier with a terminal to check in/out the rentals. There was no Blu-ray let alone DVD back then and we didn’t care; we just looked forward to the weekly movie.

In my childhood, there was no VHS tapes, no cd/dvd rentals etc… we had to go to the actual Movie Theater to watch a new movie… that or wait [U][B]a few years[/B][/U] till it showed up on TV… Now I don’t have to rent or buy anything … it will be on TV within the year… So I don’t get to watch it when it’s “the in thing” Big deal… Nothing comin out IMO that can’t wait… my life won’t end and my social circles will not ostracize me for not being “up” on the newest box office hits…

But I’m old so what do I know eh :confused:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2499775]In my childhood, there was no VHS tapes, no cd/dvd rentals etc… we had to go to the actual Movie Theater to watch a new movie… that or wait [U][B]a few years[/B][/U] till it showed up on TV.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I wasn’t aware that retirement homes had internet access nowadays. Very progressive, Soul. So, umm, your days consist of just sitting back and waiting for Charlie Chaplin to come on TV while your teeth soak in a glass? Man, I can’t wait to get old. Sounds like a hoot.

:slight_smile: