Last Plextor burner made by Plextor?

vbimport

What was the last Plextor DVD dual-layer burner actually manufactured by Plextor? Was the PX-760 series manufactured by the Plextor corporation?

For years they were such a great company and I want to know at which model they began farming out their manufacturing process.

The PX-760 is the last DVD burner [I]designed[/I] by Plextor. More recent drives are not original Plextor designs but rebranded drives from other optical drive manufacturers (with custom firmware).

I’m not sure how long Plextor have been outsourcing the [I]manufacture[/I] of the original Plextor-designed drives, however.

So I’d say the Plextor PX-760 is the last real Plextor DVD burner, although that is not quite what you’re asking.

[B]DrageMester[/B], thank you kindly for taking the time to respond. Actually you answered both my forum question and the question that was on my mind but not typed out.

Speaking of the [B]Plextor PX-760[/B], everything I’ve read about it is positive and it has all the features I care about, which could be summarized in a sentence. All I care about in a [I]dual-layer[/I] burner is that it [B]1)[/B] be well built, [B]2)[/B] be reliable, and most importantly, [B]3)[/B] burn with absolute and unswerving fidelity to the source audio and video. Assuming I can acquire one, will the [B]PX-760[/B] meet my needs?

In your opinion, is there any [I]other[/I] dual-layer burner that I should consider?

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2150618]All I care about in a [I]dual-layer[/I] burner is that it [B]1)[/B] be well built, [B]2)[/B] be reliable, and most importantly, [B]3)[/B] burn with absolute and unswerving fidelity to the source audio and video. Assuming I can acquire one, will the [B]PX-760[/B] meet my needs?

In your opinion, is there any [I]other[/I] dual-layer burner that I should consider?[/QUOTE]

The answer to your first question is yes.

In regards to the second question, here is a list of the great IDE/PATA burners to consider (assuming that you specifically want an IDE/PATA burner, which the PX-760A is):

1. BenQ DW1640
  2. Plextor PX-760A
  3. Optiarc AD-7200A
  4. Pioneer DVR-115D

If looking at SATA burners, then the list is a little different:

1. Samsung SH-S203B
  2. Optiarc AD-7200S
  3. Pioneer DVR-215D
  4. Plextor PX-755SA

The above assumes you are located somewhere in North America.

Note that, like genuine Plextors, genuine BenQ drives are no longer in production, so if you want one, you’ll have to do some hunting.

Also, the reason the PX-755SA is recommended for SATA instead of the PX-760SA is because in North America, the PX-760SA is impossible to find, whereas the PX-755SA does pop up every now and then.

[B]negritude[/B], thank you for your opinion. I’d love to get the Plextor, but they are running appx $200 including shipping for a new one. As much as I love Plextor (when Plextor was Plextor), $200 is tough to justify. Unless I’m playing Texas Hold-em.

Me and my OCD will research the heck out of your list. I have an incredibly ignorant question. Seeing my signature you will notice that I have a BadAxe2 Mobo. I believe that one of my up-front 3.5 inch drive bays is SATA, but I’m not sure. I can’t find the answer online - might have to give Intel a ring in the morning.

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2150460]What was the last Plextor DVD dual-layer burner actually manufactured by Plextor? Was the PX-760 series manufactured by the Plextor corporation?

For years they were such a great company and I want to know at which model they began farming out their manufacturing process.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure that any Plextor DVD drive (apart from maybe a few prototypes) were actually made in Plextor’s Japanese factory. However, all the PX7XX drives with the exception of the 740 were Plextor designs which were made by a contract manufacturer in China.

Cheers

James.

Well the PX-750A wasn’t a Plextor original design either, which can be a bit confusing as the PX-755A was.