Last 100 days to upgrade to Windows 10 for free start today

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Last 100 days to upgrade to Windows 10 for free start today[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The last 100 days of Microsoft’s offers to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to switch to Windows 10 for free start today.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/last-100-days-upgrade-windows-10-free-start-today-79171/](http://www.myce.com/news/last-100-days-upgrade-windows-10-free-start-today-79171/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think that countdown more or less times out and then there is a rush the last few days maybe.

There is too much going against upgrading that Microsoft has not sorted out and so at least Windows 7 users are likely to not jump the train.

I would choose to upgrade to windows 10 and make a copy of that upgrade so this way I will have a legit copy of win10, and as far as I know MS does not care if you had a legal or a not so legal copy of win7 or 8/8.1 and then go back to win7 for as long as needed so that windows 10 get all their problems solved, and later have an 100% legal copy.

In my book its a win, plus many problems should be fixed, remember that every OS that microsoft had need a service pack to fix all the major bugs, plus not sure if direct x12 will be available for 7 or 8 and for gamers this might be another plus, again not sure if DX12 will be on windows 7 or 8.

My thoughts on why i see the free upgrade as huge plus.

I’ve already seen two computers where the “Get Windows 10” screen gets stuck. Basically what happens is when the icon is clicked in the task tray and the continue button is clicked, it says “Starting download…” with the spinning circle and goes no further, even when left sitting on that screen for several hours. If the screen is closed and reopened, it’s back at the start inviting the user to upgrade.

It makes me wonder just what percentage of people have run into this same situation. Quite a popular search also on Google based on its auto-completion:

The main workaround that generally works is the Media Creation Tool with its “Upgrade this PC now” option.

Although I’ve only watched the upgrade take place on a handful of computers (mainly at my workplace), so far I haven’t seen any installation fail mid way through the actual upgrade. I remember the pain Windows Vista had with its service packs that kept failing during the installation, especially Service Pack 1, resulting in a lengthy reverting process waiting for it to undo and only for the same thing to happen again, such as after trying various hot fixes and the System Readiness Tool that seldom resolved the issue.

[QUOTE=vroom;2772748]I would choose to upgrade to windows 10 and make a copy of that upgrade so this way I will have a legit copy of win10, and as far as I know MS does not care if you had a legal or a not so legal copy of win7 or 8/8.1 and then go back to win7 for as long as needed so that windows 10 get all their problems solved, and later have an 100% legal copy.

In my book its a win, plus many problems should be fixed, remember that every OS that microsoft had need a service pack to fix all the major bugs, plus not sure if direct x12 will be available for 7 or 8 and for gamers this might be another plus, again not sure if DX12 will be on windows 7 or 8.

My thoughts on why i see the free upgrade as huge plus.[/QUOTE]
Probably a better idea :iagree:

[QUOTE=vroom;2772748]I would choose to upgrade to windows 10 and make a copy of that upgrade so this way I will have a legit copy of win10, and as far as I know MS does not care if you had a legal or a not so legal copy of win7 or 8/8.1 and then go back to win7 for as long as needed so that windows 10 get all their problems solved, and later have an 100% legal copy.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I did but I didn’t install Windows 10.

I wonder, is that deadline for an actual installation of Windows 10 or just a deadline for an online upgrade or access to a download? In other words, if I download Windows 10 and burn it to a DVD using Microsoft’s own “Media Creation Tool” before the deadline, will Microsoft honor the installation after the deadline since I actually acquired Windows 10 before the deadline? Does anyone know for sure?

[QUOTE=pcarey;2772765]I wonder, is that deadline for an actual installation of Windows 10 or just a deadline for an online upgrade or access to a download? In other words, if I download Windows 10 and burn it to a DVD using Microsoft’s own “Media Creation Tool” before the deadline, will Microsoft honor the installation after the deadline since I actually acquired Windows 10 before the deadline? Does anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]

I think that this has to do with the activation, and MS is giving you the option to activate your copy of win10 for free, but it probably has to be done within this last 100 days, if not I will assume that you will be required to buy a key to activate win10.
So the best idea would be to upgrade now, but if you can, make two images of your hard drive, one with the current OS and one with the new and activated win10 so that you can choose what OS you like to have and also not have t worry about activating win10 later.

@Sean

I think that MS and a lot of us would like to forget windows [B]vista[/B] and [B]me[/B].

[QUOTE=vroom;2772748]
[/QUOTE]
Don’t forget Windows 10 has already had what we would previously call a service pack in the November update and that was a right mess. It’s slowly getting better but there are still tons of issues with 10 and what irks me is a lot of them are silly little things which should never have been released to the public and should’ve been squashed before RTM.

[QUOTE=pcarey;2772765]I wonder, is that deadline for an actual installation of Windows 10 or just a deadline for an online upgrade or access to a download? In other words, if I download Windows 10 and burn it to a DVD using Microsoft’s own “Media Creation Tool” before the deadline, will Microsoft honor the installation after the deadline since I actually acquired Windows 10 before the deadline? Does anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know you will have to install and activate your Windows 10 for it to be registered on Microsoft’s servers as an upgrade, so just downloading an ISO or getting a genuineticket.xml isn’t going to work after the 29th July. Once it’s activated you can go back to your current OS in the knowledge that Windows 10 will auto activate without requiring a license key the next time you install it on that machine.

[QUOTE=roho;2772777]Don’t forget Windows 10 has already had what we would previously call a service pack in the November update and that was a right mess. It’s slowly getting better but there are still tons of issues with 10 and what irks me is a lot of them are silly little things which should never have been released to the public and should’ve been squashed before RTM.[/QUOTE]

For me windows10 was rushed out to the public, and for some reason MS
expected that every user will be willing and happy to give them feedback and also their data in the hope that this will improve windows 10.

To me this shows that either they didnt had any idea about the direction that they wanted to move, or they were afraid what the users will say.

I agree that some things should have stayed inside MS and very few selected
users, but the good part is that at least they are trying to fix them, they
still want our data and feedback but i guess that this want change anytime soon.

Anyway I started to get off topic here, sorry for this.

I’ve yet to upgrade so I’ll have to bite the bullet at some stage and give it a go. I’m not looking forward to the potential problems though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=vroom;2772776]I think that MS and a lot of us would like to forget windows [B]vista[/B] and [B]me[/B].[/QUOTE]
I think it was more targeted at [B]Windows 7[/B] the best selling O/S that they want people to stop using and looking for to still install on Windows 10 machines.

[QUOTE=Seán;2772753]I’ve already seen two computers where the “Get Windows 10” screen gets stuck. [/QUOTE]

Make that 3 now.

A work colleague in the UK called me asking for help and it’s the same issue on his end. He said his computer keeps nagging him to upgrade to Windows 10, but every time he tries doing so, it says “Starting download…” and a short while later, it’s back at the get your free upgrade screen as if he never started the download.

If you have a store bought PC I recommend you “upgrade” with a clean install, on 7 you can do that by using your 7 licence or with 8/8.1 it will pick up your licence from the bios. I have seen too many upgraded pcs go a bit freaky to recommend doing an upgrade install.

On if you are on windows 7 and not bothered with the shiny stick with 7

Does anyone here know where one might download a full, latest-version ISO file of Windows 10? It seems if one goes the MS website route, the upgrade gets done by starting on the PC you’re clicking with.

I want to download an .ISO first so that I can control when I choose to download it, and second so I can use the .iso to install to a different PC than that which I am using to do the download.

[QUOTE=DukeOfUrl;2772840]Does anyone here know where one might download a full, latest-version ISO file of Windows 10? It seems if one goes the MS website route, the upgrade gets done by starting on the PC you’re clicking with.

I want to download an .ISO first so that I can control when I choose to download it, and second so I can use the .iso to install to a different PC than that which I am using to do the download.[/QUOTE]

If you scroll down on the page here, you should be able to download it :iagree:

After the licence agreement screen on the media creation tool, choose the option “Create installation media for another PC”. On the following screen uncheck “Use the recommended options for this PC”, then choose the Windows 10 Edition and whether to get the 32-bit or 64-bit architecture.

There is also a ‘both’ option for the architecture, although I haven’t checked whether that downloads two ISO files or a combination one.

Finally on the next screen it will give the option to create a bootable USB stick or to save the ISO file.

I also found that the ISO file can also be used to do an in-place upgrade - Just extract the ISO file (e.g. using 7-Zip) to somewhere handy such as ‘C:\Windows 10’ and run the setup file inside. I did this on process on one computer that kept getting stuck at the ‘Starting download…’ screen with the Get Windows 10 screen for the tasktray icon.

Thanks a lot fellas, I should have been able to search and find that myself, but it is nice too to have confirmation of it from yins.

:o

In theory anyway it seems it may be possible to do an in-place upgrade from XP to 10 (for free!!!), by using Vista and Seven. When I get some time I may try this: