Laser problem with hpdvd 640

vbimport

yeah the drive has been giving problems for awhile now. Every time you put a disc in it makes a weird sound and then stops. I finally got fed up with it and opened it, put a disc in then see what was wrong. the laser moves up to read it but hits the motor that spins the disc. Then it backs up and continues to do this 2 or 3 times then stops. so how do i fix the lasers track or w/e is wrong with it

If its an old drive you can try cleaning the lens. You do it very very gently with a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol. Just wipe it two or three times and let it dry on its own.

yeah i tried that before anything, but its the thing the laser is mounted out. it moves to read the disc but doesnt stop and hits the motor. then moves up a little bit and hits it again 1 or 2 more time. is there anyway to reset the laser ot something? :sad:

Did you try another disc, because what your describing is just the laser is not able to read the disc. So either bad disc or bad laser.

At $20 for a new drive I wouldn’t go crazy trying to fix it. :slight_smile:

yeah im prolly going to replace it, its not a bad disc so the laser is the problem. I fixed my xbox drive so i thought this would be kinda the same but WRONG. lol

thanks for you time :slight_smile: