Laser disc video format

I am about to aquire a laser disc player and several titles for it from friend. You know what I’m talking about, the 12" “cd”.

Anyway, he told me it can play music cds so i was wondering:

What kind of video format does it use to play movies? Is it like (S)VCD, DVD or what is it?

I searched to no avail and thought someone here might know. I want to be able to use it to play dvd backups such as dvd player can play (s)vcd. I know i would probably have to convert it, but would it be possible.

If i just knew what video fomat i used i might be able to use it as a “dvd” player.

This may sound dumb, but the fact is, my dvd player is my compter and it has 13in. monitor. I would like to watch movies on televsion without having to buy a dvd player.

TIA.

It uses an Analog-esque scheme, I believe (I never worked on Lasediscs, so I’m not sure). So, it might play SVCD’s, etc., but it would have to have 2 sets of circuits, one for SVCD (with Laser et al), and one for LaserDisc.

Essentially, it would be a SVCD player and a laserdisc player forced into one box, which I doubt exists.

ok i will do some searching on analog-esque and see if i can find anything

Thanks, this concept of big cds is pretty crazy.

Also i got it opened up and there is only one laser. By two circuits you mean that they go to the same laser correct?

Also i am having my doubts as to whether this is feasible because the larger discs sit higher in the tray and the smaller ones go down a level further. There are two buttons to open and close it. On is labeled cd, the other is labeled ld. When you press the cd open/close it automatically knows what height to set the laser at. Same goes for ld. So even if i was able to burn into the format it can read, i would still have a problem because: 1. If i push cd to get the height set for a cd, then it expects to read music. If i press ld, i get the height for the ld and thus it won’t read the cd as an ld.

Maybe there is some way i could rig it, but it seems like more trouble than its worth.

Me thinks i just buy standalone dvd unit and dvd burner once i save the money because then it would be a lot easier.

Originally posted by kwkard

Me thinks i just buy standalone dvd unit and dvd burner once i save the money because then it would be a lot easier.

Yep, the best solution. It will NOT play DVD’s, will play Audio and LD formats only.

I hope you didn’t pay alot for it…it’s a thing of the past…

Although there are a few movies available on LD that haven’t been released on DVD yet…The INDIANA JONES series comes to mind first. I am still ticked at George Lucas on that one. That jerk will spew out EP1 & EP2 but won’t give us Raiders, or the 1st Star Wars trilogy on DVD. ARGH!

i know what you mean, i’ve been wanting the indiana jones movies on dvd for quite some time now.

I didn’t pay a lot for it, in fact i got it for free. So its really not that big of a deal that its outdated, i just wanted to experiement with it.

it depends on the make and model of the player as to what exactly it is able to play. without knowing that we cant help ya much.

but there are LD players that can play VCD (my magnavox does) and pioneer is still making LD/DVD combos that can handle vcd and svcd.

its a mitsubishi don’t remember model number. But i already tried, can’t play vcds or svcds and certainly not dvds.

Originally posted by Smoker
[B]it depends on the make and model of the player as to what exactly it is able to play. without knowing that we cant help ya much.

but there are LD players that can play VCD (my magnavox does) and pioneer is still making LD/DVD combos that can handle vcd and svcd. [/B]

I doubt that. CD-V is not the same thing as VCD, and I’ve never yet seen an LD player (except for the Pioneer combo DVD/LD models) that can handle any digital video format. CD-V is a CD-sized disc containing something like 5 minutes of analog video and 20 minutes of CD format digital audio, and the audio portion will play on a CD player. CD-V discs do not contain the conventional analog soundtracks of an LD, and so can only be played on players that specifically support them.

And it’s not an “Analog-esque” format, it’s an analog format (with digital sound added sometime in the '80s, and then DTS and AC-3 worked in in the '90s). (I have 7 players and around 300 movies - inluding the original Star Wars trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Last Crusade, which I’ve had since before DVD existed…:slight_smile: (I didn’t like Temple of Doom so I never bought it)

LD is the grandfather of CD and DVD, some of the patents developed for LaserDisc are still used in DVD. LD has been around since the late '70s (originally known as MCA DiscoVision).

If you’re in the USA, take a look on eBay, you’ll find lots of players and movies, usually for good prices.

If you’re looking to “copy” LD movies, you can copy them to videotape, or you can use a capture device to get them on the PC in whatever format you want.

remember neither ld nor vcd were ever very popular in the united states.so that could explain why you have yet to see a combo ld,vcd player. but parts of asia saw quite a few of them, and parts of europe had a couple models at least.

What resolution are LD’s at? iirc, they were supposed to offer higher quality than VHS tapes, but they can probably do that in other ways… i mean, it’s not like LD’s would degrade, so they’d have higher quality that way, sorta…

Also, does anyone know how much space there is on an LD? Like 80min CD’s have 700MB of space. How much does a LD have?

Let’s not forget that some LDs had a problem with laser rot!!
A typical CLV LD has a capacity of 60 minutes of video & audio per side, whereas a CAV LD can hold up to 30 minutes of same per side.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_15020673_36104,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

Pioneer DVL-919
DVD/LD/CD Player

Component Video Output Yes
S-Video Output 2 (Gold-plated)
Video Output 2 (Gold-plated)
Audio Output 2 (Gold-plated)
Coaxial Digital Output (for Dolby Digital L PCM/DTS) Yes (Gold-plated)
Optical Digital Output (for Dolby Digital L PCM/DTS) Yes
Pioneer SR (System Remote) Terminal Yes
AC-3 RF Output (for LD) Yes (IN/Out)