"Laser" branded 4x DVD-R, any good?

Hi all,

Recently bought a LiteOn SOHW-812S burner, firmware upgraded to US0N. And the sales dude threw in a 25 disc spindle of “Laser” branded 4x DVD-R for a really cheap price. AUD $12.50… in hindsight i knew it was too good to be true.

here is a link to the product is question

Anyway they seem to burn alright at 4x with nero 6.3.1.1.7 but both my liteon 812S burner and pioneer 106 DVD-ROM can’t read the resultant disc back at all.

I did a disc info in Kprobe, they show up as SKC Co. Ltd … will post the full info later when i get home.

Question:

is there anything I can do to get these disc working or are they just plain crap? maybe burn at 2x?

otherwise i think i’ll toss them in the bin and cut my losses.

cheers

segan

I have a 50 pack of the laser -R media, the ones i have, have got the media code “Vanguard” , what media code are the ones you have?

Personally my experience with these discs has been a little annoying. I have a liteon 811s and the discs burn fine, the problem is the PO errors are high at around the 60% mark of the disc. Which means my dvd player skips trying to read em. So far the best firmware i have found to work with these discs is HS0K, I still get the occasional coaster, but with that firmware I’m getting pretty good success out of em. But after each burn i need to kprobe to see if the burn is good, which is annoying and waste of my time. Never touching laser media again, it just sucks with liteon drives.

here’s the disc info from kprobe, media ID is SKC Co.,Ltd.

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer SKC Co., Ltd.
Media ID SKC Co.,Ltd.
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2297888
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track