LASER 90MIN CD's and Standalone DVD player support for 90-99MIN cd's?

vbimport

I have recently purchased an Asus 5224A writer, went into the shop yesterday and got tempted to buy the only available 90MIN cd’s there, which were Laser 90MIN gold premium. Now after finding that they didn’t work as required in Nero 6, I switched on the Overburn function and set 99:59 for cd length in preferences.
Nothing, still showing me a 703MB cd in cd info. May these cd’s be fakes or does the Asus 5224A (1.35 firmware) not support such cd’s ?

Also rather then buying a DVD-R drive I figured that with the availability of DIVX movies soon becoming as broad as mp3 files I’d rather buy a new DVD-player with Divx/xvid support. Now I know none of you probably have yet bought those new dvd players. But I am still curious how to the 90-99 MB cd’s perform in normal Standalone DVD players ? Do they properly finction and Readable ?

Since having 900MB of DIVX data on a cd is almost DVD quality
this would be a great plus if such cd’s were supported.

It will still show as an 80 min cd in nero, however it will still burn until the end of the CD/overburning limit (whichever comes first).

Hi I recently brought the same above cds. This is the first time ive seen 90 mins CDs (48x) here in Australia, seem hard to find.

Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:27:00
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB
Manufacturer Maybe = CDtech,OfficeDepot
Smart-Burn Speed Limit = 32X(Write)

Seems like they are 700mb cds and 32x, wasnt happy so i tried to burn 87 mins of data on it. I had to enable overburning to do this. Worked fine. Tested it with Kprobe and no problems ave C1 was 4.372.

I also tested it with CD Speed Overburning test, got 93:30.52 (821 mb) with a Liteon 52246S.

Guess Im happy they work, just a little strange :wink: