Large usb drives & acronis hang system

This problem is taking me for a ride…

I can not mount arconis images (home version 2009 - complete partition images).

I can no longer mount any western digital usb external hard drives (120gb ntfs) or toshiba usb drives (300gb) usb drives.

The computer just hangs when I try to mount acronis images or the above usb drives.

Now here is a the kicker… I CAN still mount any 2gb to 8 gb usb drive, both NTFS as well as fat32…

Any feedback on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

( Using standard computer build - Antec 900 case, asus motherboard, intel e6600 processor, kingston ddr2 memory, western digital dual drives, windows xp pro with service pack 3.)

(Note: prior to upgrading to service pack 3, mounting acronis images and usb 100gb+ drives was never a problem. ) I can’t say for sure that serive pack 3 is the problem.

Hello [B]liman23[/B],

Could you check that you’re using the latest build of your Acronis Software? You can download the latest build at Acronis Update page. Please note that you should register your Acronis True Image 2009 Home to be able to download latest build of the software.

Download it, install and check if the issue is fixed. If you’re using the latest build and the issue still exist - you can try to temporary uninstall Acronis True Image 2009 Home in order to find if this issue is related to Acronis drivers.

Please share the results of your investigation.

Thank you,

Michael

Sounds like a good next step… I had already spoken with acronis tech support and they admitted there was a problem with there drivers … last release. I was given a download site for drivers that were suppose to fix the problem.

Anyway… as you suggested… time to uninstall acronis and see if my larger usb drives will now mount without hanging.

I uninstalled acronis. The problem is still present so acronis is elimated as the possible problem.

Note: usb thumb drives up to 8gb formatted NTFS boot up without a problem.

Note: Iphone 3G S connects without a problem.

Note: WD and Toshiba usb portable drives seem to hang up my system shortly after inserting into usb socket. WD digital is 120gb and the toshiba is a 300gb. Both drives rely in usb power to operate. Both drives work fine on my toshiba m4 laptop which is also upgraded with windows xp pro service pack 3.

Basically, Prior to the installtation of service pack 3, this problem did not exist.
Also remember I can no longer mount acronis images as virtual drives as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After upgrading to service pak 3, I could no longer mount my acronis backup file as virtual drives or mount my portable usb drives… Computer makes the ‘mounted sound’, but no new drive is shown as mounted… Computer hangs at this point.

I uninstalled acronis. The problem is still present so acronis is elimated as the possible problem.

Note: usb thumb drives up to 8gb formatted NTFS boot up without a problem.

Note: Iphone 3G S connects without a problem.

Note: WD and Toshiba usb portable drives seem to hang up my system shortly after inserting into usb socket. WD digital is 120gb and the toshiba is a 300gb. Both drives rely in usb power to operate. Both drives work fine on my toshiba m4 laptop which is also upgraded with windows xp pro service pack 3.

Basically, Prior to the installtation of service pack 3, this problem did not exist.
Also remember I can no longer mount acronis images as virtual drives as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem solved.

I went to download an updated copy of usb-monitor. In order to install, the older driver had to be removed. After removing the old usb monitor driver, all my portable drives now mount. One thing I noticed is that a seek goes out to my drive A: / floppy drive when mounting my usb drives.

On the matter of mounting acronis backup images, this problem still is present. It appears I have two different problems which one is solved.