‘Large amount of 3TB HDDs from WD and Seagate defective’

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: ‘Large amount of 3TB HDDs from WD and Seagate defective’[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/09/myce-blackblaze-sept-2014-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Backblaze, a provider of cloud storage that gathers statistics about the reliability of hard disk drives (HDDs) reports that a striking amount of 3TB desktop drives from Seagate and Western Digital fail while Hitachi disks fail considerably less.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/large-amount-of-3tb-hdds-from-wd-and-seagate-defective-72795](http://www.myce.com/news/large-amount-of-3tb-hdds-from-wd-and-seagate-defective-72795)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not good since I just got my first 2 4TB drives . The WD brand

I can attest to the validity of the claim. Seagate, WD…doesn’t matter. I’ve lost drives from both companies.

My Seagate 3TB (ST3000DM001) is still going strong, which is mainly used for non-critical data, such as temporary video recordings. It currently has 8759 hours and still showing a good health status in CrystalDiskInfo.

The longest running hard disk I have is a Western Digital RE4-GP 2TB (WD2002FYPS) with 27,458 hours, which is my main data hard disk.

My workplace has a server with four regular 80GB SATA Maxtor hard disks that has been running 24 hours a day since 2004. Although I had bad experience with Maxtors and even had an 80GB desktop HDD fail, that server is still on its original 4 hard disks (2 pairs in RAID0) and in good health status the last time I checked.

One can never tell can one.
I had a couple Hitachi go out on me during the first 1 year, and a Seagate did the same.
But I have several of both bought at the same time that are still going strong after 4 years.

I don’t trust ANY hd brand,as I had a Maxtor and a WD Raptor dying in the past…:disagree:
The only thing I trust,is HD Sentinel Pro to monitor my 6 drives…:bow::bow:

Drives manufactured with components that affected by the flood in China last year.

I also believe that the flood may have something to do with it. I suppose there’s really no way of knowing but maybe the manufacturing dates can help.

Looks like I should be glad that my two HDDs are 2 TB and a 4 TB HGST drives.
But so far - knock on wood - I never had a drive fail on me before it was replaced.

Seagate does the most volume in production so higher failure rates are expected… but this does seem to be an outlier at work here too… failure rates approaching 10% are a going to be a financial burden to the company either from it’s RMA obligations OR it’s reputation which will amount to lower market share.

I’ve still yet to justify upgrading a HDD so far… most likely that will be with 4k video, when the time comes.

knock on particleboard the only drive I’ve had fail on my personal desktop in the last year was a WD 1.5TB “Green” drive that dies in the first 70hours
(Before I actually put any data on it)

It may be that those drives are less well-suited to the data center environment. Or it could be that getting them by drive farming and removing them from external USB enclosures caused problems. We’ll continue to monitor and report on how these drives perform in the future.

They used disks from external usb enclosures. Don’t forget this. It was mentioned in the article as well.

It should not matter, but maybe it really does matter and these kind of disks have a serious less lifespan than normal standalone series.

On July 25th of this year, Backblaze took $5M in venture funding. At the same time, Costco was offering 3TB external drives for $129 about $30 less than we could get for internal drives. The limit was five drives per person. Needless to say, it was a deal we couldn’t refuse. Old habits die hard.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2737693]We’ve just posted the following news: ‘Large amount of 3TB HDDs from WD and Seagate defective’[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/09/myce-blackblaze-sept-2014-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/large-amount-of-3tb-hdds-from-wd-and-seagate-defective-72795

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

This is the most biased reporting I ever heard it’s so fishy it smells…worse then a fish market. I could’ve sworn I read another similar discussion saying the very same think about WD and Seagate failures but was found to have very little in the way of credentials to backup their story line. I had more success with WD drive and far less failures as the story says. They only have their so called test to show but no one else can substantiate their tests this is what makes this story even more fishy. This story I believe as much a rubbing salt in a open wound. A big propaganda story…something only that could come from a COLD WAR machine.