Laptop won't start. Help please

vbimport

Hi. I have a compaq laptop. It has windows 7 Home Basic. I was shutting it down and it was telling me to wait as it was installing some updates.But I did not give it time and pressed the power button to force it to shut down. I know it’s my fault. Now it won’t start. I press the power button but it does not power on. The power button is blinking and the screen is black. I only hear the fan turning but then complete silence. What to do? Please do help. Thanks in advance

Try removing the battery, unplug the power adapter, press and hold power button for 30 seconds, put in the battery and power plug and try booting.

[QUOTE=overclocking;2529768]Hi. I have a compaq laptop. It has windows 7 Home Basic. I was shutting it down and it was telling me to wait as it was installing some updates.But I did not give it time and pressed the power button to force it to shut down. I know it’s my fault. Now it won’t start. I press the power button but it does not power on. The power button is blinking and the screen is black. I only hear the fan turning but then complete silence. What to do? Please do help. Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

What exactly kinda updates are you talking about Bios update or windows update? Needs some more clarification on what exactly what you were doing at the time of the shutdown. The problem your describing sounds like a bios update error and is going to need a force bios update to fix the corrupted bios…???

Probably a hardware issue
//Danne

No…I was not doing anything related to bios updates guys. Windows was installing it’s usual updates on shut down. I was in a hurry. I did not give it time to install the windows updates (although it was said to not remove the power plug as important updates was installing) and force it to shut down by pressing the power button. please help

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2529772]Try removing the battery, unplug the power adapter, press and hold power button for 30 seconds, put in the battery and power plug and try booting.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for you help. I did try that trick. But it did not work. Do you have any more advice? Thank you

You might have to try and boot to the windows CD and try letting it repair your windows install.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2529938]You might have to try and boot to the windows CD and try letting it repair your windows install.[/QUOTE]

But the computer is not starting. I press the power button. I only hear some internal activity, nothing appears on the screen and then complete silence and the power button starts flashing

@eric93se

Atleast it should show the bios post to do what you said? But it’s not showing anything. But thanks. I’m gonna try it

Tough one. I think Diizzy is right in his conclusion that it’s a hardware problem. If there is still warranty on your machine, contact the manufacturer for the warranty procedure.

some friends told me it happened because of a bad update. I shouldnt have force my computer to shut down when it was doing a windows update. What are the remedials to a bad update?

If there is only a bad Windows update, then your system should still start and you should be able to run the “restore factory state” procedure.
Since you can’t read the manuals that are preinstalled on your laptop, you may check if there is a version available on HP/Compaq website.

Michael