Laptop suggestions

Hi, I’m a newbie and feel so intimidated posting to this type of forum. I’ve been a member here for a while but 'till now just lurking.

I am retired because of a disability - the mother of 3 and grandmother of 4. An artist, collector, and philosopher. I love art, animals, gardening, and playing with my grand babies. I have random moments of sanity where I collect my thoughts and try to do all of the important things that I haven’t been able to do for time. I am like Rip Van Winkle and some of the things that I know are no longer relevant (especially where technology is concerned).

I am on my 3rd laptop now but they were all purchased used. It seems that prices have come down on new laptops and it might be better to buy new and enjoy some warranty.

Here are my requirements - email, web browsing, basic office tasks, photo and video editing, burn dvds, 80 gig or larger hd. I’d like to be able to have several applications open at once without slowing things down. Portability is very important so light weight and long battery life are preferred.

I get so confused when I start reading the numbers and specs. The Dell Inspiron 15 looks interesting but when I get to processing speeds and memory I don’t know how they will impact the performance. If cost were no factor it would be easier, I’d just get the fastest highest of everything. lol

I have only had Dell… I have heard that HP is good and that a Sony might be good too. If anyone has any input for me I will be ever so grateful.

please help!
:confused:

Here are a couple that might work for you. The first is ultra inexpensive but would work well for many tasks. The second has a great processor (the T4200 is a T6400 with half the cache) and very good features for the price. I bought the second one (Acer Aspire 4730Z) over a month ago and have found it to be a very fast and capable computer. Especially for the price.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0307967

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0308285

[QUOTE=yellowcat;2294394]I’d like to be able to have several applications open at once without slowing things down. Portability is very important so light weight and long battery life are preferred.

I get so confused when I start reading the numbers and specs. The Dell Inspiron 15 looks interesting but when I get to processing speeds and memory I don’t know how they will impact the performance. If cost were no factor it would be easier, I’d just get the fastest highest of everything. lol

I have only had Dell… I have heard that HP is good and that a Sony might be good too. If anyone has any input for me I will be ever so grateful.

please help!
:confused:[/QUOTE]

First off Portability and lightweight sacrifices battery life. Long battery life means larger full size laptop means larger batter and longer battery life from the cord. Numbers and specs do get confusing but also take into consideration the cost and extras as well and warranty of the laptop. HP are good I am currently using a older HP laptop and it has served me well. But also since I don’t know if your from States side or Euro it be hard to make recommendation on laptop. Sony sounds good but are way expensive from my browsing at the local electronics store. I also heard Sony has to many junk software installed rather then the software you need. Get back and I see if I can dig up some laptop for you to see if not other might have some for you to see as well.

I’ve always liked The Voodoo Envy. Blazing fast, but no battery life at all.