Laptop SATA DVD stuck in PIO after install Windows XP dual boot

vbimport

I have recently purchased an Emachines laptop G640.
AMD Athlon processor and AMD M880G chipset.
After installing Windows XP Pro 32 as a dual boot system I cannot get the built in TSST TS-L633C DVD drive to use anything other than PIO mode in Device manager.
The SATA Hard Disk is working fine - using DMA 6
I have tried all the methods described in my google searches.
I have uninstalled the controllers from device manager, edited the registry and run various scripts all to no avail. :sad:
The drive runs DMA 5 in Windows 7, so I know it is capable.

Is it just that XP is not compatible with this drive?

Registry listing below:
http://club.myce.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213117&stc=1&d=1290362487

I have even tried editing the MasterDeviceTimingMode, no success.
Open to any suggestionsor questions

Hi,

have you already reinstalled the Southbridge drivers? Preferrably the latest version?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2558834]Hi,

have you already reinstalled the Southbridge drivers? Preferrably the latest version?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried various driver packages, I have the latest AMD/ATI Catalyst package 10/11 installed at the moment, with both NB and SB drivers showing as installed OK.

I have event tried drivers from HP, model with same chipset, without success.

No firmware updates showing for drive from either Emachines or Acer websites. (This laptop appears to be Acer based)

Hi,[QUOTE=Sonic2171;2558852]
I have tried various driver packages, I have the latest AMD/ATI Catalyst package 10/11 installed at the moment, with both NB and SB drivers showing as installed OK.[/quote]Hm. Okay. Is there a Sata configuration option in your Bios setup?

No firmware updates showing for drive from either Emachines or Acer websites. (This laptop appears to be Acer based)
That’s quite normal for Acer (Yes, eMachines=Acer) :frowning:
If you think, it’s a firmware issue, then the only way would be crossflashing to - for example - SCxx firmware (which is the version for Samsung computers). See the FAQ link in my signature for possible sources. Unfortunately, this would void any warranty of your computer.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2558925]Hi,Hm. Okay. Is there a Sata configuration option in your Bios setup?
That’s quite normal for Acer (Yes, eMachines=Acer) :frowning:
If you think, it’s a firmware issue, then the only way would be crossflashing to - for example - SCxx firmware (which is the version for Samsung computers). See the FAQ link in my signature for possible sources. Unfortunately, this would void any warranty of your computer.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your suggestions.

There is one option in the BIOS that I had to change to get XP to recognise the Hard Disk. I changed drive setting from AHCI to IDE mode.

As the writer performs very well, scanned with Benq 1650, I don’t think I will bother with the firmware.

The writer operates correctly in Windows 7 so it is not really a problem.
It is just a puzzle that I would have liked to find an answer for.

Derek

To use AHCI, the OS must be installed with this iption on…