Laptop RAID0?

I have a Toshiba G45-AV680 and have upgraded the two internal drives to 320gig WD drives. Re installed Vista Ultimate and expected to setup a RAID0 but never got the option. Any ideas how I can do this?

Also what is that 1.46GB EISA config partition and the 513MB NVCACHE drive?

(see attachmet)

Thanks in advance

Was this recovery done via cd/dvd or a partion recovery console on the HDD? You should have imaged your OLD HDD’s onto the new drives. Do you still have to old HDD’s? If you do I would image your new drives with the old drives.

It originally had two 120 GB drive in a non-RAID configuration. I used the recovery disks to return it to factory default. There was no option to use RAID during setup and I cannot convert them to striped RAID in post recovery like I had hoped. :confused:

I would be happy to use some third party software to magically turn them into a RAID0, but don’t know what to use.

If the IDE/SATA controller (whatever it uses) does not support RAID, then it is not going to happen. If it does, then you should find the correct RAID driver and put it on a thumb drive, then reinstall VISTA via the “Anytime Upgrade” disk you probably got with the system. Every version of Vista is on that disk. When you put in your Key, it will install the correct version. Or you can not enter your key, just make sure you pick the correct version from the list or you will have to reinstall after 30 days.

Anyway if the chipset supports RAID, you have to go into the BIOS and first, enable it. This will allow you to setup up your array name, stripe size, etc. After that then when you get the the VISTA install screen where you have to choose the volume to install it onto, hit the browse for driver button, and locate the RAID driver on your thumbdrive, then install it onto the RAID volume that you created.

Your computer may nnot Support RAID, if it is an Intel chipset it would have an “R” at the end of the name. I can tell you that the only laptops I have ever seen come with RAID are alienware.

-Brian

Actually a lot 17" laptops have RAID (eventhough its pretty much pointless).
But as Brian said, you need to define it in BIOS/RAID BIOS first.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;1998123]Actually a lot 17" laptops have RAID (eventhough its pretty much pointless).
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Really? I work at a retail company that sells computers (lots of computers) and we do not offer a single model that comes factory with RAID enabled.

We sell almost all models of HP/Compaq, Gateway, IBM/Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba and emachines. Some of the HPs we sell have 2 HDDs, but they are not raided.

I think they may support it, but do not come factory, because HDDs in laptops fail so often. We do a lot of data recovery for people and it would be much harder if they had RAID 0 enabled from factory. RAID 1 would save me a lot of time, and my customers a lot of money.

Data Recovery 100$US per 10 GB
Failing HDD 500$ For all of it
Failed 1000$ For all of it

Anyway if you know of any specific models (that don’t suck) that come with RAID 0, I would like to know, I am always in the market for another laptop.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;1998123]Actually a lot 17" laptops have RAID (eventhough its pretty much pointless).
//Danne[/QUOTE]

no its not not any more than any ware else i use a 120G and an 80G using XP dynamic disks ebd up with 40G os and 160G striped raid array the raid array works perfectly like any raid array giving near on double the throughtput. vista on th other hand that is pointless only one reason to run windows thats games for windows and games for windows dont run under vista like they do under xp, so if yuor not gaming why are you using microsoft mac or linux seem far better choices when you eliminate gaming.

Raid causes more issues but the benefit cant be m,eaures its the core of everything speed it up and everything gets faster, my Raid array doubles drive speed and thats simple XP software raid and in real l,ife with a stop watch i can show near bouble performance.

not had much experience with laptop size HDD’s but this one in my machine had done over 600,000 and failiure smart points out that its beyond its MTBF but otherwise disk is healthey for this disk its mtbf is 400,000 so i am pretty pleased.

i owned personally over 20 HDD’s most of which are still in use and not one has ever just not worked they all indicated they were dieing so i could back up not until i baught a huge 500GB western didgital did i experience a totally dead HDD :frowning:

dont knock laptops mine would kick most anyones machines bottom :wink: mine is a gaming laptop and with a 7950 @ 660x860 there not much in the single card arena of any size that beats it :wink: of dx9