Thank you all for your replies, they are appreciated. I solved it last night, but could not get back until now. It pays to actually think instead of doing a whole pile of stuff at the same time. I used AOMEI for part, but had to install EaseUS to finish off for some reason. Hopefully I can keep this straight, I have only done it once. I took the C: partition and created another partition D:, deleted E, made the DVD drive E:. Merged the partition that was E: into D:, which created 3 tasks on a reboot, move and resize C:, move and resize D:, then merge the partition that was E: into D:, all preos. All tasks completed, but I got a little worried when on reboot windows went into automatic repair, but survived that. Now AOMEI is supposed to be able to convert logical to primary, but for some reason I did not have that option so I installed EaseUS and finished off. So now I have 2 partitions, C: system, D: extension and DVD drive E:. BTW I will save all this information for future reference, because even although this worked this time, it doesn’t mean it couldn’t be without problems next time.