Laptop/notebook issues with USB 2.0 and external drive

vbimport

I’ve got a 1640 in an external drive. I bought it over a year ago and at the time I had done ALL the homework to get the right chipset and I can burn at 16x onto the external 1640 from my desktop. On my old laptop (Compaq R4000) I had to use firewire, because the USB 2.0 ports on the lappy was just not up to snuff (couldn’t get high enough burst rates), but I had the firewire backup plan, so no real big deal. Well, I had to replace the R4000 with a shiny new “Vista” ACER that has USB 2.0, but no firewire…guess what- the USB 2.0 is slow too! I got burst rates up to about 11MB/s (yuck), and when I turned off all power management I got up to 13MB/s (still yuck). Anyway, what’s up with the laptop’s USB 2.0 ports? What can I do to rip and burn at 16x???

Thanks

Hi,

What chipset is the notebook equipped with? There are even brand new chipsets, that still have poor USB performance. Ali and Ati (they use sometimes Ali southbridge) chipsets are only two examples.

What can I do to rip and burn at 16x?
Nothing. Even USB 2.0 Cardbus adapters with NEC chipset max out at about 15 MB/sec. Maybe adding a firewire adapter will help, but I am not sure about that.
Another option might (not sure about that either) be one of those brand new express card adapters if your notebook supports them.

Michael

It looks like it is an ATI chipset…in device manager:
ATI I/O communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI
driver is dated 6/21/2006 and is 6.0.6000.16386

So, I guess I’m stuck buying a new IEEE1394 card. This sucks that USB 2.0 in laptops sucks so much! I really don’t want a big “wart” sticking out of my laptop, nor do I want to unplug the PCMCIA card EVERYDAY…

Maybe I should call ACER about this issue???

Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

Seems, as if my crystal ball is still working :bigsmile:

So, I guess I’m stuck buying a new IEEE1394 card. This sucks that USB 2.0 in laptops sucks so much!
This is not an issue with notebooks in general, but with the chipset that is used. I wouldn’t expect any problem with Intel chipsets here.

Maybe I should call ACER about this issue???
Waste of time and money, as they can’t do anything about that. And they don’t care.
Any chance to return and get something Intel based instead?

Thanks for the reply.
You’re welcome!

Michael