Laptop motherboard issues

vbimport

Okay to start my whole entire issue is I have an HP Pavilion dv9700 CTO… I have had it for about 4 years and have had it sent in for repairs half a dozen times within a 3 year warranty. that being said many might know my issues. for those who aren’t sure, the laptop likes to overheat and shut off. most of the time I could actually turn the computer back on after it had cooled off. Sadly just recently it had its final draw. When I try to start it up nothing would happen. I did some research and some others said they had similar symptoms, but they also stated the light in the front would light up for a mere sec. My computer would not do a thing. I only have a light from the charger port, which I assume is powered independently by the plugs power. So yes there are a few things I’m not sure about with computer hardware, although I do know a little bit. I know what the cpu is (easy right) but what exactly is the chipset? I have two chipboards with a nice shiny chip in the middle. One says Nvidia and has a few number/letter sets with one more noticeable than the others MCP67D-A3. The other chip still had thermal compound on which I intend to clean off once I aquire some rubbing alcohol. I am working on replacing the thermal compound, but I’m not confident that it will work sense my computer wont even power up. I did check the motherboard and didn’t see any problems. Also, I tried looking for motherboards I could possibly get to replace with the one I have and all I can find are the original boards. I was thinking more of a different make/model. If anyone needs more info that I may have left out please let me know.

AcEric87
I’m moving your thread to the laptop forum, but quite frankly, I think you would be much better off investing in a new laptop. You can get a brand new Dell for a $400 base price.

There are many things that could be wrong, including a bad motherboard, or a bad power supply. So you could go to the expense of replacing parts one at at time without a real clue as to the extent of the problems, or you could simply get a good working laptop as a replacement.

The chipset refers to the entire integrated circuits of the motherboard, and traditionally includes both a northbridge and southbridge, though many modern designs don’t have this separation anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Thanks for the advice, I’m gonna try to reapply the thermal compound still and see if I can extend the life a little. I’m going to school for engineering and have to run CAD programs, so usually the $300-$400 laptops are no good. If anything I’ve been working on saving up and building a desktop, since my laptop overheated so much I figured since desktops can be much more of a power house and also have a better cooling system.

With that Nvidia chip, your particular model is an AMD based laptop, using at [B]best[/B], a Turion X2 cpu running at 2.4ghz, at least according to their online service manual. An i3-390M laptop like I linked should stomp it into the dirt.

Reapplying the thermal compound won’t hurt to try. May not help.

A desktop would certainly be a better choice for CAD programs.

If the laptop has an NVIDIA graphics chip then you very likely have the same problem I had with a Dell D620 laptop I own. Certain NVIDIA graphics chips from that period run hot. They cycle from a high temperature to a low one frequently. This cycling eventually causes the graphics chip to become disconnected from its socket. The fix is to have it re-soldered into the socket. I had this done twice on my D620 and the second time I was told to install a utility that will run the fan at 100% continuously. I have been doing this for two years now and the problem has not reoccurred.

I found a shop on ebay that did my repair. They had a 90 day warranty and repaired the laptop the second time for free. It looks like the fan utility is a good workaround solution since there really is nothing else to do except find a motherboard with Intel graphics. That may not be an option for you.

I agree with that the best path might be to buy a new laptop. I have seen great deals at Micro Center for 15"+ laptops with decent specs, even HDMI output, for $259. I paid around $100 for my repair but I had to ship the laptop out of state to do it.

These mobile GPUs by nVidia are well known to be problematic and they even sold defectives to the mases.

On the other side, many ebay sellers have built up their biz on that weak GPUs. :frowning:

Awesome thx for the help. I am assuming the i3-390M is a dell laptop since the only link I found was of that. One other thing I ask is if anyone knows a good source to learn more about gpu’s, cpu’s, overclocking, etc… I’m sure I can find on google somewhere, I just hoped someone would know of a good source already. If not it’s all good. Thank you for the help again.

just wanted to correct myself over the processor. wasn’t paying attention.

Overclocking a laptop is not the easiest thing to do. The BIOS is generally not overclock friendly and laptops aren’t good at dealing with the heat added by overclocking. There are plenty of web sites that deal with overclocking. My advice is to find one, sign up and start reading threads. Then ask questions along the way and you will get yourself up to speed (pun intended) in no time. There are also many good CPU/GPU review sites to read regularly.

I love overclocking CPUs. It is a way to increase the longevity of a system and get very good performance on the cheap. I usually buy the lower clocked version of a CPU and try and get it up to the same level of the higher clocked CPUs, or greater, of that line. One thing to note is that the most current Intel CPUs that have locked multipliers are not very overclock friendly.

I have two HP Laptops, ZD and a DV Both have damaged themselves through overheating. HP were useless insisting that i update the bios, the result of which runs the fan all of the time, to little effect. I have seen shims available on ebay to give better contact with the heatsink, but I believe the problems to be caused by the batteries which as they get older generate more heat during charging.using the machines without the batteries did not result in extra damage, but the machine needs to be permanently plugged in to remember time&date etc. I wont buy anything HP now.