Laptop Monitor Showing White Line Across Screen!

vbimport

Hi

I have a ‘Toshiba Satellite A55 S326’ Laptop. It must be about 4 years old. I switched it on today and noticed a single ‘thin white line’ spanning the whole length of the screen horizontally. It is almost dividing the screen into two halves. The laptop was low on battery when I started it and was giving me a warning message but now its connected to the adapter. I have restarted my laptop and it still shows that white line. I didn’t drop my laptop, didn’t spill any water on it either. The only thing is that the hinges of the screen have broken and the screen is loose so that I have to put a support behind the screen so that it doesn’t fall down. The screen may have fallen down twice or thrice but not anytime near to when this white line problem has started and the screen has fallen down on the mattress of my bed because I usually use my laptop on the bed or while closing the screen down on my laptop.

All help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
:slight_smile:

Moved to General Hardware.

This can only be one of the 3 things, the first two is what you hope for, the third is costly.

1. The lcd cable assembly is loose.
  2. The inverter card may need to be reseated
  3. The lcd itself has a thinline crack and needs to be replaced

All of these require the knowledge and knowhow of how to open the actual inlay and internal parts, which is actually not so hard. Also since you say its loose anything you do now can better reseat a component just mean sit can jitter itself loose again.

[QUOTE=xtacydima;2076550]This can only be one of the 3 things, the first two is what you hope for, the third is costly.

1. The lcd cable assembly is loose.
  2. The inverter card may need to be reseated
  3. The lcd itself has a thinline crack and needs to be replaced

All of these require the knowledge and knowhow of how to open the actual inlay and internal parts, which is actually not so hard. Also since you say its loose anything you do now can better reseat a component just mean sit can jitter itself loose again.[/QUOTE]
Ok. So should I show this to a professional or can I fiddle with it by myself. If I can fiddle with it by myself then where can I get the required information to open up the parts?
Now it’s showing two of the same lines, one above the other about 1cm apart and is it causing more harm to the LCD if I delay the repair?

Thanks.

If you are uncomfortable doing such a repair then I would take it to a shop. I would google around for your laptop model service manual first though. Read it up and see if it looks complicated to you first.

Delaying normally wont cause mmore harm, if something is broken its already broken, and will need to be replaced either way.

I did check the net for a service manual but couldn’t find it. I have surfed the net and did some research about my problem and all the signs point towards me changing my LCD screen. I also asked one professional and he too was saying the the screen will have to be changed. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be such a big problem. I’ll try to take it to a repair shop soon.

Thanks.

the real answer of the satanists pawn should have been, buy yourself a 16:9 screen, so it won’t happen again, when we hack your computer via the power network. because we don’t bother if you got a 4:3.