Laptop mobo

A friend of mine recently placed there laptop in a shop for repair and my question is would the bios appear if the mobo is knackered and is £170 a fair price to replace a board on a laptop? The total cost of the laptop was about £300 i aint sure about the specs.

Hi,QUOTE=confirmme;2273352 my question is would the bios appear if the mobo is knackered[/quote]Yes. But this depends on the damage. Basically anything is soldered onto the motherboard.
I had a bad cardreader in my laptop - to fix that, the motherboard needed to be replaced. Luckily, it was still under warranty:)

and is £170 a fair price to replace a board on a laptop? The total cost of the laptop was about £300 i aint sure about the specs.
Laptop replacement parts are extremely pricey since they are original (or refurbished) spare parts, so I wouldn’t consider this price as rip-off.
If such an expensive repair can be justified, can only be judged by the customer. Perhaps buying a new laptop is the better option.

Michael

Thanks for your answer. I did believe buying a new laptop may be the better option i will be sure to pass your advice on to my friend.