Laptop memory upgrade question?

vbimport

Ok here it goes.

I have a gateway P-6860FX that will only go to 4G with DDR2 667 memory but I found on Newegg that they have DDR2 667 memory in 4G modules. If I ordered two of these 4G modules being as they are also DDR2 667 specs would that imply that now my laptop would be 8G of RAM rather then the 4G as specified by the manufacture?? I am asking this because I also have a Dell E1505 with 4G of RAM in it right now with W7x86sp1 and it shows as 3.5G and runs and works fine and the memory one that is also DDR2 667 specs? How can this be are the manufacture pulling a fast one on the end-users saying they can’t expand the memory but in fact there is a memory that would work?? Could someone explain to me why I (2) 2G modules DDR2 667 in a Dell E1505 would work and why won’t doing the same thing in a Gateway P-6860FX wouldn’t help this power hungry laptop more? I am seriously considering ordering a pair of 4G modules with DDR2 667 specs and trying it on my Gateway just to test to see if it works and then I will test the same RAM in each of my laptop to see if it does work and if it does I will update the RAMs to a larger specs.

http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/28116 4gb is the max 32 bit os only “see’s” 3.5 gb

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2612152]http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/28116 4gb is the max 32 bit os only “see’s” 3.5 gb[/QUOTE]

I know The limitation of x86 RAM but I am saying the fact that Dell listed the Dell E1505 as being able to only use RAM up to 2G max but I have a E1505 that has 2 for 2G Ram modules that will add up to 3.5G of Ram which shouldn’t work or boot up and say memory error or say to replace with correct RAM. That is what I am saying that what they specify shouldn’t work for RAM capacity does work. So they say 2G RAM is max but you can put two 2G Ram modules for a total of 4G Ram as only 3.5G of Ram is seen with x86 but of which it shouldn’t work.

Did you even look at the link I posted? The chip set will support 4gb, no more, if the bios is not locked then both of your laptops will support 4gb not the 8gb you want.

Yes I did but what I am saying is what Intel says is quite different from what the laptop manufacture says is the max memory that can be installed. That is what I am getting. I might just order a pair of 4G Ram to see if it works if not I just send it back and loose part of the money for the restocking fee. I guess you just have to try to see and if it doesn’t work I will know then…

I give up, do some reading about chip sets, bios, ect.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2612200]I give up, do some reading about chip sets, bios, ect.[/QUOTE]

huh…I don’t get understand a simple question was to ask if it was possible or if anyone has did such a test to see what the result was and to tell me if the laptop did boot or boot but had odd results. I talked about two very different laptop one Dell and another Gateway but you seem to take the notion they both had the same chipset and I did search on the Gateway and it does says 4G limit but what I am saying since you didn’t look carefully was that the Dell manufacture listed the Dell E1505 as only being able to use up to 2G Ram for max expansion but I was able to go to 4G Ram and this was from not knowing about the chipset link you posted was able to put 4G Ram onto the laptop. I did check on the Intel chipset for the Gateway and it did list the chipset max at 4G but the worse that can happen is the memory doesn’t work and I loose some money for the restocking to return and get the proper memory at least then I know I tried something and knew for fact my test did support their Ram limits based on their chipset. What I asked all along was if anyone has gone beyond what the Intel or Laptop manufacture said to see what results occured if they got Ram or no Ram and no boot.

This is what I call tweaking to see if the impossible is possible and if not you will at least know the limits and how to test for experimentation to push the limits of the hardware. Batting down questions and inquires with manufacture specs sheets doesn’t help to improve or help others learn more about what they can do to improve computing performance. Asking for one to be open minded isn’t a hard thing to do but for others to do so sounds like a Everest climb and if you never try it then you won’t at see the fruits of the labor and what you can learn from it.

Put all the ram you want in it, it will not recognize nor use more the 4gb, man your thick.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2612208]Put all the ram you want in it, it will not recognize nor use more the 4gb, man your thick.[/QUOTE]

You know I think you already had a mindset to not even think outside the box the moment you read what I was asking.

Yo

@Jethro-

My mom always told me:

“You can lead a horse to water - but you cannot force them to drink.”

@coolcolors

“Don’t ask a question if you don’t want to know the answer.”

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2612211]

@coolcolors

“Don’t ask a question if you don’t want to know the answer.”[/QUOTE]

We all already know it will not boot or if it does have bad or good consequences to doing something like that. But how many have tried it?? Not many from the reply I gotten so far.

The question was simple question has someone tried to go beyond the specs sheets knowing that it will not boot but would it work? And everyone knows for a fact that just the same identical laptop parts and components doesn’t act or behave the same way. Why else would we do lab experiments to disprove or prove that for that particular trial confirms the test they did.

Yes I have added more ram in a Gateway laptop before and it did boot. It however did not read them correctly.

I had put in 2 2gb stick and it only read it as 2 gb total, I am not sure if it would only read 1 stick or half of each.

[QUOTE=bean55;2612215]Yes I have added more ram in a Gateway laptop before and it did boot. It however did not read them correctly.

I had put in 2 2gb stick and it only read it as 2 gb total, I am not sure if it would only read 1 stick or half of each.[/QUOTE]

More than likely the limits of the chip set only recognized 1gb on each stick, just like I said to the op…:slight_smile:

There are a lot of people upgrading their netbooks from 2gb (or even 1gb) up to 4gb.

Doing some searching on the PM965 chipset, others have tried to upgrade to 8gb and have done so successfully, they did it on windows 7 though. Your x64 vista should take it. It didn’t recognize all of it (6.75gb) but thats a good upgrade.Laptop forum

But you have to realize that Intel did not LIE about it, because at the time you had two memory slots and the largest stick of ram was only 2GB.

Well now that I have ordered my 2 4G sticks of Ram for my Gateway laptops and I can report back that I was successful on two of three Gateway to get them to recognize and run with the 8G Ram.

Gateway P-6860FX W7x64 will run and recognize the 8Gigs of RAM.
Gateway NV52 W7x64 will run and recognize 8Gigs (7.75Gigs usable).
Gateway M-6862 W7x64 comes on but will not boot to windows so no go.

So that is my report so far I will take the 8G and place those into the P-68 as that will be the power house desktop replacement and maybe in the future order another pair for the NV52 when they go back on sale for the RAM. Why the M-68 is a no go could be the chip-set architecture. But at least I know the limits but wised the M-68 would go 8Gigs would’ve been nice to have but I can live with it.

Hosts file

Is there a bios update for the Gateway M-6862?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2614387]Is there a bios update for the Gateway M-6862?[/QUOTE]

I tried and found it but still trying to get the M-6862 to take it will try again later this week to get the BIOS to update but I think it does have a BIOS update to it. I will report back on how that goes. Forgot to mention the NV and M-68 both have their BIOS update to the last most available BIOS as well. It’s possible that if the BIOS can be updated the M-68 Gateway will recognize the 8Gigs of RAM if that does work then I will get 8Gigs for that laptop as well.

Ok, I finally got the m-68 to take the BIOS update but had to downgrade my OS back to vista premium home and then run “as administrator” to get the bios to update the BIOS. What a pain in the a55 to just update the BIOS but it did update to 91.24 from 91.22. Later tonight I will stick my 8Gigs Ram into the M-68 and see if it will boot to the desktop. If it works then I will be happy and if not I be disappointed since the P68 and NV52 would take the Ram but not a M68 of which resembles the look of the P68 but the P68 has Nvidia GPU and the m68 has a ATI GPU. Maybe something is different in the chip-set architecture there.

I build Desktops and rebuild Laptops, but I always go by Manufacturers Specs. The Specs like for Memory is there for a purpose, the Manufacturer of that MB says to run a stable Machine you stick to the Specs. You can over clock your Processor and stick in all kinds of Memory, but will it run stable and for how long? For my Desktops I only use SuperMicro MB’s, and they go back all the way to Windows 95 and they are all still running. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2614484]I build Desktops and rebuild Laptops, but I always go by Manufacturers Specs. The Specs like for Memory is there for a purpose, the Manufacturer of that MB says to run a stable Machine you stick to the Specs. You can over clock your Processor and stick in all kinds of Memory, but will it run stable and for how long? For my Desktops I only use SuperMicro MB’s, and they go back all the way to Windows 95 and they are all still running. :cool:[/QUOTE]

There is no OC here it’s stock memory that matches the 4G specs to the 2G specs of the manufacture specs. If you might have notice if it didn’t work the laptop wouldn’t boot or upon reaching desktop would reboot and reboot or just not start. The memory I used to go from 2-4G=8G matches the 2-2G=4G specs and there is nothing OC about the memory or laptop CPU. Sometimes one doesn’t gain any knowledge if one doesn’t try the worse would be it fails or doesn’t boot. But in this case my attempting to use more then the manufacture specs proved that if the higher memory matches the lower memory specs it will work for my Gateway. Plus those memory specs was there at the time when those memory were available and probably most likely haven’t been updated since. Why, because why would the manufacture want to sell to older hardware when they can make more money on selling you newer hardware. One has to think outside the box as well.