Laptop is on Ultra DMA Mode 2

I just bought a new laptop computer, It has amd 64 bit dual core processor, 4 gig memory, Windows Vista home premium OS.

I copied a movie on it and thought it was a bit slow so I checked the DMA specs and found that instead of being Mode 4 it was at Mode 2. Does this seem right? Does anyone knowwhy this is? I’ve only done 3 movies all in new condition so I am suprised if windows backed it to mode 2.

Any thoughts?

Jim

What drive do you have?

If you don’t already have Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.15 > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ it is a free tool. Put an already burned disc in your drive. Fire up Nero CD-DVD Speed. Click on Run Test and choose Burst Rate. See what the test shows and report back.

One correction its 3 not 4 gig memory

The drive is Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 ATA. I’m just wondering if there is something different as relates to Ultra DMA modes between vista and xp or between laptops and desktops or between ide and ata.

Thanks

Jim

[QUOTE=JamesTaylor;2024000]One correction its 3 not 4 gig memory

The drive is Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 ATA. I’m just wondering if there is something different as relates to Ultra DMA modes between vista and xp or between laptops and desktops or between ide and ata.

Thanks

Jim[/QUOTE]The Burst Rate test will basically show you UDMA in MB/s

OK Thanks Bob, I ran the test and the results are: 23MB/s 3 seconds to do 3MB

How do I translate that to dma mode?

Thanks

Jim

[QUOTE=JamesTaylor;2024023]OK Thanks Bob, I ran the test and the results are: 23MB/s 3 seconds to do 3MB

How do I translate that to dma mode?

Thanks

Jim[/QUOTE]Looks close enough to be UDMA 2. I have no idea what your drive is supposed to run at.

Most lappy drives that i know of only burn at 8x but your burst rate is good enough to burn at 16x. At least 12x anyway.

Ok Bob I appreciate. How does all this relate to read speed?
Thanks
Jim

Speaking from a desktop PC and XP,
I just had some posts bitching about DMA 2.
My PC will drop to that mode at the slightest hint of a read error or it seems.
then it burns very slow. [pisses me off when it does that too.]
It should be at Ultra DMA 4 So I end up having to un-install the secondary channel which is home to my Plextor 16x Burner and Rom and reboot the PC.
It then goes back to Ultra DMA 4.

Don’t know if laptop works the same.
If it does, go into your device manager and un-install your secondary channel [U]IF [/U]that is where your burner lives.
Don’t know about laptops with Vista but I DO KNOW that multi read DMA 2 is definitly too slow in a desktop PC with the stats you have cause I have 2 gig memory, XP2, 2.8 processor and 32 bit.

[QUOTE=JamesTaylor;2024025]Ok Bob I appreciate. How does all this relate to read speed?
Thanks
Jim[/QUOTE]With an already burned disc in the drive. Fire up Nero CD-DVD Speed and click on run test and choose Transfer rate. See how fast your drive can read a disc.

Thanks again Bob:
The average speed is 3.62 transfer rate, Burst rate 22mb, Compared to 8.15 transfer rate burst rate 44 on the Pio112L
Laptop dma mode 2 desktop mode4
So these values seem to suggest this drive runs at about 1/2 the speed of my pio112L on the desktop with xp.
Which brings me back to my original question. Is this normal? and If so how come?

Thanks

Jim

[QUOTE=JamesTaylor;2024359]Thanks again Bob:
The average speed is 3.62 transfer rate, Burst rate 22mb, Compared to 8.15 transfer rate burst rate 44 on the Pio112L
Laptop dma mode 2 desktop mode4
So these values seem to suggest this drive runs at about 1/2 the speed of my pio112L on the desktop with xp.
Which brings me back to my original question. Is this normal? and If so how come?

Thanks

Jim[/QUOTE]Lappy drives have never been any faster than 8x burners at this time. Maybe in the future they will be.

Aha!!!

Ok Thanks Bob

I am new to both Vista and Laptops so The slowness confused me. Sata drives are also a mystery to me.
I’m thinking of trying to put one of the desktop drives into an external enclosure and seeing how that goes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim

I have a Samsung 203B (SATA drive) in a SATA/eSATA external enclosure. My lappy is old so i had to buy an eSATA PCMCIA card but i get 20x burns with that setup.

Also i have an eSATA on my mobo I/0 that i can hook it up too. And of course i have another 203B hooked up internally to a SATA port on my mobo.

So i can get 20x burns if needed no matter what i use. At home or away with my lappy.