Laptop DVDRAM not working.. driver problem?

vbimport

Hi! first post on the forums!.. hope maybe someone can help me!

I have an Acer Extensa 7620G on windows vista home premium (34bit) with a DVD RAM drive that’s stopped working! going into “my computer” the drive doesnt seem to be listed, although the light is on and obviously has power. I’ve been uninstalling unused programs this afternoon and since then it’s stopped working, though this shouldnt have affected it. The only one I can think of thats remotely related was “magic ISO”. Either way, there wasn’t a retore point to go back to. In device manager, properites for the drive it says:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click ‘Check for solutions’ to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

… so I click on “check for solutions”… it seems to search for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

I also try updating the driver software… but apparently this is up to date.

Help and support on vista seems to be more trouble than it’s worth so I’m here to ask for help! any ideas? Thanks!

Uninstall the drive in the device manager and reboot, let vista reinstall the drive, should be good to go. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, sadly this hasn’t worked. there’s an error during reinstallation and nothing has changed. Any other ideas?

Go here, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us , use the guided help.

thanks, I’ll give it a go… this guided help is for windows XP… will there be any issues in using it for vista? I can’t seem to find the same kind of help topic on microsoft support specifically for vista…?

For Vista, try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 :flower:

Although, I have known the XP method to work with Vista, too. Welcome to CDF, BTW. :slight_smile:

Thanks!! It works!!! I’m celebrating by trying out my new game… “new” is such a strong word… Myst III… Exile. Thought i’d give it a go… for £2.99 can’t really go wrong!

Thanks for the help!

Bargain for £2.99 :iagree:…happy gaming :wink:

Do a restore to yesterday, then be a little more prudent in deleting files. :bigsmile: