Laptop DVD+/-R DL burner burning CDs not DVDs

vbimport

I have had this problem for long without knowing it. I discovered recently that my Gateway laptop internal DVD burner (DVD+R/RW DL) does not burn properly either +Rs or -Rs. I tried a variety of different media (which cost me a pretty penny too :sad: ), including Ritek G04 and G05 -Rs (from an old stock which I have successfully used earlier in a plextor standalone burner) and some Taiyo Yuden 02 series +Rs (rated among the best in another thread of this forum).

:confused: I seriously need to know what to do. I have made quite a few shiny coasters already. :frowning:

The burner burns CDs from all manufacturers without a hitch. But DVDs it won’t burn. I have tried burning data DVDs through Nero 6, Roxio creator 8, as well as some specialized burning tools from WinISO and some others. Everytime the burning program reports a successful burn, but when I put the DVD back in the tray in my laptop or any other machine, it does not show any of the files. If I use the Nero tool to check the DVDs, it shows unrecoverable errors. :a

Please, any help is appreciated. I have already generated a log with the Nero Info tool, but it is quite long. So, if it is necessary, please let me know and I shall put it up here.

Who says this is an slimtype burner?
It could be an combo drive…

What is the exact name, type and model?

Thank you for your reply. From the Nero Info tool, the name, make and type of the burner are as follow:

Drive Information

Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532A
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : TI51
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 11-02-04
Serial Number : 51E6124792
Vendor Specific : 11/02/04
Drive Letter : E:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 24 , 20 , 16 , 6 X
Write Speed : 24 , 16 , 8 , 4 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Hope you or someone can help me out with this serious problem… :slight_smile:

Someone? Anyone, who can help me with this problem? I still cannot burn DVDs :confused:

Is it still under warranty? There are separate lasers for CD and DVD’s so your DVD part maybe dead.

Unfortunately, my laptop is out of warranty; stupid me never really tried burning DVDs on the laptop while it still was under warranty… :frowning:
Thank you for the reply, @rolling56. If there is nothing else that I can do, I would probably bite the bullet and buy a replacement DVD drive… [ouch!!]
If someone else has any other suggestion, please let me know.

Ritek is known as crap media, what other dvd media have you tried with??

Yes check out all functions of a burner when getting one new or used. Best time to make sure and double check is just before warranty goes out.

Funny thing these electronic devices :doh: you never know when they will go out :frowning:

In 1st post this person used TY02’s plus the crappy Ritek. I might have read it wrong though.

You are right, rolling56. I did try, and have the same result with, new Taiyo Yuden disks, as I did with the Riteks. I agree with chef as far as the new Ritek media are concerned; they are indeed crappy. But I have some unused Ritek disks from about 3-4 years back, which was a time when Ritek disks were counted among the best… Pity I wasted a couple of them on the laptop DVD recorder business!!

Thank you all for your replies.