Laptop DVD drive not working after update

Hi
HP Pavilion Entertainment PC
Drive not listed
This is what is says in device manager
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device
Light scribe drive

Have a problem with the dvd/cd drive on my HP laptop.
Does not read discs since last update. Can not use system restore. All attempts fail.

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click ‘Check for solutions’ to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Cant update driver because I’m told that I have the latest one.
Cant rollback either.
I had to do a total recovery to get the drive working right again.
I tried turning off all updates but was not able to and an (important) update came in after turning the computer on and the drive stopped working again…Microsoft web site has had me try several different things and nothing fixes the problem.

Now what should I try next?

Oh and disabling the driver and turning the comp back on does not fix the problem. Nor do the fix it sites from MS.

Hi and Welcome!

please try these:

[ol]
[li]Uninstall (not disable) the drive from device manager and reboot
[/li][li]Uninstall the IDE controller your drive is connected to and reboot
[/li][li]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/
[/li][/ol]

Michael

[ol]
[li]Uninstall (not disable) the drive from device manager and reboot[/li]> [li]Uninstall the IDE controller your drive is connected to and reboot[/li]> [/ol]

Thank you for replying to question.
I know where to find the device manager and do step one.
i don’t have any idea where to find the IDE controller to uninstall that.
Can you be more specific on how to do that?

Thanks

[ol]
[li]Uninstall (not disable) the drive from device manager and reboot[/li][li]Uninstall the IDE controller your drive is connected to and reboot[/li][/ol]
Thank you for replying to question.
I know where to find the device manager and do step one.
i don’t have any idea where to find the IDE controller to uninstall that.
Can you be more specific on how to do that?

Ok I found the ide controller in the devices mgr.
it was for the cdrom.
i uninstalled it and tried the fix and still nothing.

Any more ideas?

You were given a fix to try here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/ just click on fix it for me

It would be good to also know what O/S your using as well…

I’m using windows vista home premium.
The fix didn’t work.
I did a recovery for the second time. That fixes the drive problem.
But another update is waiting to come in and that will cause the problem to come back.
I’ve been through all this before. The updates are causing the problems.
How can I stop the update for good?
thanks

I personally wouldn’t recommend disabling the updates completely. Saying that, I have Vista on both my desktop machines, all fully updated, and haven’t had any problems with my burners.

However, if you really want to disable Vista’s updates, then go to Control Panel -> Windows Update.

On the left, you’ll see a list of links (Check for updates, change settings etc).

“Change Settings” is the option you want - click that, and choose how you want your updates. The is an option in the drop-down menu which says “Never install updates”. Choose that one.

A happy medium IMO, would be to choose “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download/install them”. :wink:

You might also want to investigate that it’s not another piece of software causing it (it’s a change to the upper and/or lower filters in the Registry that’s the problem). :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alex22;2494476]I’m using windows vista home premium.
The fix didn’t work.
I did a recovery for the second time. That fixes the drive problem.
But another update is waiting to come in and that will cause the problem to come back.
I’ve been through all this before. The updates are causing the problems.
How can I stop the update for good?
thanks[/QUOTE]

I have Win7 and disabled the updates only updating or checking monthly to see if there are new updates to be on the safe side. Also if you haven’t done so they have Vista SP1 and SP2 out already so you might want to get those updates rather then using windows update for now. You can download those service packs or pay little money and get the service packs shipped to you on disc. M$ also says you first need to go SP1 then go SP2 is what they recommend you doing. And I guess then after that you can do the manual update check to see what your missing for Vista updates.

I wonder if this problem is related to the KB977165 patch.
On some XP installations this has caused a BSOD - some security researchers think this might be due to some rootkit which infected storage drivers like atapi.sys.
See also http://club.myce.com/f94/microsoft-stops-serving-windows-patch-blamed-blue-screens-308732/

Michael

A happy medium IMO, would be to choose “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download/install them”.

And how am I suppose to know what the updates are?
All it ever says is "there are important updates ready to be installed.

You might also want to investigate that it’s not another piece of software causing it (it’s a change to the upper and/or lower filters in the Registry that’s the problem).

The only other software I put on the laptop is the Norton 360 (virus protection). That has been working for the last month. I don’t know when the drive stopped working but about 5 days ago I wanted to install a newer version of MS Works. I then found out the drive wasn’t working. I’ve been going on Windows help forum. Others are having the same problem too. I’ve been trying the fixes they told me to. Nun of them worked. I had no choice but to do a recovery. Then the last recovery I did was 3 days ago. The drive worked that day. The comp was on most of the time. I turned it off that night and when I turned it on the next morning an update was installed. (I could see that the screen said that an important update was being installed.) I thought I turned off the updates but I guess not. After the update was done I checked the drive operation and sure enough it didn’t work.:sad:
This morning I did another recovery and everything is good.:clap:
So I am convinced the updates are causing the problems.:doh:
I’ll take my chances without them. :bigsmile:

If a known fix comes out please let me know.

Thanks
Alex

Why don’t you try the suggestion that Arachne gave you and switch how the updates are downloaded. This way, you can CHOOSE which updates you want to install instead of having them automatically downloaded which is the way you have it set up now. Once the updates are downloaded, you choose CUSTOM install and it gives you a list of the updates to be installed. You can uncheck the ones you don’t want and hide/never show them again also.

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

Wyman

[QUOTE=smileychgo;2494877]Why don’t you try the suggestion that Arachne gave you and switch how the updates are downloaded. This way, you can CHOOSE which updates you want to install instead of having them automatically downloaded which is the way you have it set up now. Once the updates are downloaded, you choose CUSTOM install and it gives you a list of the updates to be installed. You can uncheck the ones you don’t want and hide/never show them again also.

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

Wyman
[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of choosing what updates to take. However it’s not like the updates are called anything that can be understood.
All I ever saw was important update #xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Or security update #xxxxxxxx.
I have not a clue as to what they were. Of course if I saw an update that said (This update takes out the driver for your cd drive) I would not want it. Would you? But they don’t say that now do they.
I have another computer. It’s a Dell. It came with free life time tec phone support. You know how many of those updates that came in caused something to stop working?
Now when I call them and say I have a problem they tell me there’s a virus on your computer and you have to pay us to fix that. $150.00 for 4 events. That means you can have 4 problems fixed before you have to pay again. I used them 2 times. You know what they said last time I had them on the phone? Guess what after November of 2009 we will no longer support Windows XP. Say good bye to the 2 times you have left on the warranty you bought. Well I stopped taking updates on that too.
One of these days I’ll get a MAC Maybe they’re better.
Turn to the DARK SIDE

Alex

Hey guys
Guess what
I have all the updates turned off and the driver for the cd rom still got taken out by something.
I’m starting to think that it’s the Norton software.
That’s the only thing that has been taking updates.
Is that possible?

[QUOTE=alex22;2495239]Hey guys
Guess what
I have all the updates turned off and the driver for the cd rom still got taken out by something.
I’m starting to think that it’s the Norton software.
That’s the only thing that has been taking updates.
Is that possible?[/QUOTE]
It could very well be. I haven’t used Norton products in 10 years and the very reason I gotten rid of them because there always seems to be issue with it or it causing a problem, in additional to it being bloated. What you could try is uninstalling it and downloading your updates and see if the drive is still there.