Laptop dvd burner replacement

Hi,
My laptop uses IDE despite it has a dual core 2 processor. My dvd burner has suddenly decided to not eject. I can eject it using the eject hole but not using the eject button.
Is it possible to have a dvd burner that supports DVD RW +/_ DL ? ?

I found some sata mini pcie modules, can’t I just use one of them if I decide to upgrade to sata in future? If I do go SATA do I jneed to upgrade my batttery? I heard there are long life batteries.

Hi,[QUOTE=Dumb_cracker;2277163]My laptop uses IDE despite it has a dual core 2 processor. My dvd burner has suddenly decided to not eject. I can eject it using the eject hole but not using the eject button.
Is it possible to have a dvd burner that supports DVD RW +/_ DL ? ? [/quote]Of course. No problem (nearly).
What matters, that is the drive’s internal configuration (Master/Slave/CableSelect/Whatever) and the bezel, especially if your laptop has a custom bezel.

I found some sata mini pcie modules, can’t I just use one of them if I decide to upgrade to sata in future?
No.
If I do go SATA do I jneed to upgrade my batttery? I heard there are long life batteries.
You can’t use Sata drives if your laptop is equipped with Pata interface.
And battery is absolutely unrelated :wink:

Michael

Thanks for your reply! I checked in my bios, the dvd burner should be slave drive. Does that mean it can’t have a dual layer burner?

How much would a DVDRW DL burner cost?

[QUOTE=Dumb_cracker;2277649]Thanks for your reply! I checked in my bios, the dvd burner should be slave drive.[/quote]:eek: Please check in Windows Device Manager. A “Master” drive should show up as “device 0”, a “Slave” drive as “device 1”

Does that mean it can’t have a dual layer burner?
No. The drive’s internal configuration is independent from its features. All slim drives you can buy nowadays claim to support DL.

How much would a DVDRW DL burner cost?
This depends on your local market.
Prices start from 40 USD (Newegg, USA)

If your only problem with that drive is the lack of DL support, you may consider buying an external half height drive. Media support is often better, and they are mechanically more solid.

Michael

hi michael
I can’t seem to find one that supports RW DL. Could you please recommend one All the slimlines I could find only support DVD R DL +/-. It needs to be IDE and prefably internal. I don’t understand why the Sales settings should matter then.

Hi,[QUOTE=Dumb_cracker;2277889]I can’t seem to find one that supports RW DL. [/quote]:doh: Then I misunderstood totally. Sorry.
My Dell laptop is equipped with a TS-L632H, which is the equivalent to Samsung SN-S082H. ImgBurn reports the drive is capable to burn DVD-RW DL (not DVD+RW DL). These formats seem to be rather exotic. Many drives can’t even read them.

I don’t understand why the Sales settings should matter then.
Not sales settings. If the internal configuration of a slim drive does not fit, then it will not work in your laptop. Simple that is. Half Height drives have jumpers for configuration, slim drives have that setting as part of the firmware.

Michael

Hi
It’s only 1.5cm tall. It’s a pioneer GADL369732wl in an Acer 5633wlmi. Would any slimline do? I took the drive out once and I don’t remember seeing any jumper settings. So how do I know if the slimeline am going to buy has it setup as a slave then?

Hi,[QUOTE=Dumb_cracker;2279206]
It’s only 1.5cm tall. [/quote]There are two types of slim drives: standard slim drives with 12.7mm height and ultra-slim with 9.5mm.

It’s a pioneer GADL369732wl in an Acer 5633wlmi.
This does not look like a Pioneer model#. :confused:
Would any slimline do? I took the drive out once and I don’t remember seeing any jumper settings. So how do I know if the slimeline am going to buy has it setup as a slave then?
That is the problem. Most drives come in “Master” configuration. A few of them can be adjusted by utilities or other firmware (like the already mentioned TSST SN-S082H).
Have you verified the drive’s configuration in Windows Device Manager as suggested?

Michael

Thanks for being patient with me. I don’t know anything about laptop hardware. I’ve only had experience building a pc. Actually it windows it seems to be registered as a master. I loaded up the properties window for my burner it said

Location 0 ( channel 1 targaret 0 lun 0)

Funny enough thats the samsung I was going to get. Samsung SN-S082H is it a good burner?

Hi,[QUOTE=Dumb_cracker;2279478]Thanks for being patient with me. [/quote]You’re Welcome! :slight_smile:

Actually it windows it seems to be registered as a master. I loaded up the properties window for my burner it said

Location 0 ( channel 1 targaret 0 lun 0)
That’s good news since most drives come in Master compatible configuration.

Funny enough thats the samsung I was going to get. Samsung SN-S082H is it a good burner?
I own a TS-L632H, which is the OEM version of that drive (same hardware, but firmware from Dell). Well, it’s an average drive.
If I had to buy a new laptop drive, I’d try to get a Sony/Optiarc with real NEC design. LG aren’t bad either.

Michael

I am new of this forum
Hi everybody.

I have problem with my DVD TSST corp TS-L632N,on a laptop Hp Dv 6723el.
This dvd unit no read many dvd’s movies:
start spinning and spinning and many times
must eject dvd manually …
I updated with FW SC03(last one) but nothing.

Same dvd’S work good on my friend laptop
with dvd PBDS DS8A1P,that should be a lite-on DS8A1P.

I want to buy a new drive to replace my TS-L632N,
and was thinking about lite on DS8A1P,because I see already
that this drive can read very easily many dvd movies,
but can not find the model on Lite-on web site!!

What About the Sony/Optiarc mentioned ??It is good?
Which model can be comatible with my laptop Hp Dv 6723el ??

I ask some help because dont know nothing about laptop dvd.

Thanks for suggestion.

[QUOTE=kagira;2280536]I am new of this forum
Hi everybody.

I have problem with my DVD TSST corp TS-L632N,on a laptop Hp Dv 6723el.
This dvd unit no read many dvd’s movies:
start spinning and spinning and many times
must eject dvd manually …
I updated with FW SC03(last one) but nothing.

Same dvd’S work good on my friend laptop
with dvd PBDS DS8A1P,that should be a lite-on DS8A1P.

I want to buy a new drive to replace my TS-L632N,
and was thinking about lite on DS8A1P,because I see already
that this drive can read very easily many dvd movies,
but can not find the model on Lite-on web site!!

What About the Sony/Optiarc mentioned ??It is good?
Which model can be comatible with my laptop Hp Dv 6723el ??

I ask some help because dont know nothing about laptop dvd.

Thanks for suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Hi all.
Someone can help me ,please.
I need one dvd unit that can read easily most of dvd disk brands.

Thanks you.

You NEED a slimtype burner with HP firmware, anything else will not work.

Hi,
thanks for answer.

I take out dvd writer from laptop and
put in one old combo cd/rw + dvd (qsi cdrw/dvd Sbw242B)
It works great,and can read Dvd disk that my TS-L632N can not !!!

I make this only for try,because this reader is too old and can not
write dvd.

I think there is no problem with other Dvd’s model ,I must try.

My question is which one I must buy ??
Sony optiarc or Lite-on or Pioneer ??

Thanks

One which is suitable to/with HP OEM firmware.

I put a Sony Optiarc AD-5540 on my notebook ,…It work great!!
Even the Dvd front panal can be switched with
the original Hp one.

I think I’ll buy a new Sony Optiarc Ad-7590A.

Thanks you.