Laptop drive won't burn CDs/DVDs

(If you have a short attention span and don’t want to read all this, please just skip to the bottom in parentheses)

Ok so I bought a new laptop a couple months ago and it was having problems with it’s original drive (it would cut out and stop reading, but it did burn stuff) so I took it to the place I bought it and they replaced the drive. The problem stopped and I was able to read discs no problem. I tried burning a disc about a week ago though and I wasn’t able to get anything to burn.

I’ve tried with different media, different programs, speeds, etc. I can’t get it to burn. The only way it will burn is directly through Windows, which sucks. Nero fails, Alcohol 120 fails, iTunes says no recordable drive, the list goes on.

I took it in again yesterday and he basically tells me that because it will burn using Windows, he can’t replace it. I asked him what the problem could be and he tells me it’s all Vista’s fault. I know this is a bunch of crap though becaues I’m able to get all of the above programs to burn no problem in Vista with my desktop. So basically I’m stuck with a brand new DVD/CD-RW drive that won’t burn anything.

What can I do about this? The drive is a TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532M by the way.

(Now for those that didn’t want to read all that: my drive is a TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532M and I’m using Vista. It won’t burn CDs or DVDs in any programs such as Nero or iTunes, but will burn in Windows. It either fails or says no recordable device. This sucks and I want to fix it. I’ve already taken it in to the store I bought it from and they said there’s nothing they can do and that it’s all Vistas fault, which is crap. What can I do?)

I’d say, remove Alcohol and use Imgburn (for testing).

Yeah I tried that, cause Vista has problems with the virtual drive programs or whatever. I got rid of them all and it didn’t fix it.