Laptop Crashing

Hey everyone i got another sticky situation going on. My sons laptop is now giving us problems. It shuts down after starting up…

CPU Intel ® CPU P6100
CPU 2.00Ghz
HDD MODEL Name WDC WD3200BPVT_@@ZEST0
HDD Serial Number WX_WX71A80W1027
ATAPI Model Name HL_DT_STDVDRAM GT30N
System BIOS Version V1.05
VGA Bios Version INtel V1994
Serial Number LXSG020040370F6CB1601
Product Name NV55C
Manufacturer Name Gateway
UUID 383C8DBC3C1EB5A037BE88AE1D98A950

Try starting it in safe mode. If it stays working then try using system restore, pick a date it worked ok.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

This might be caused by heat. Most modern computers will shut down quickly if the cpu is overheating.

If you are comfortable opening up the laptop, you should check to see if there is a lot of dust buildup in it, and blow it out.

You’ll want to make sure the fans are spinning up when you start the machine, both on the cpu and the power supply.

Thanks Jethro, did that and it started up ok and then it shut down with a blue screen that didnt allow me to do anything to it… Tryed safe mode
safe mode and network
safe mode and comand promptblue screen says something to the effect of dumping memory to hard drive then shuts down…

@Kerry56, im kinda scared to take it apart, but if you tell me step by step ill jump into it. it starts in safe mode then goes to the blue screen then makes aloud beeping sound then goes back to the screen to choose how to start it up, but jumps right to the blue screen and i cant chose anything…

In your first post you said [I]“It shuts down after starting up…”[/I],
which I took to mean that the computer was shutting off completely…no power, no activity at all. This would be a hardware shutdown, possibly due to cpu overheating.

If it is still sitting there idling, albeit at a blu screen, then you probably have something else going on. ~Jethro~ knows laptop hardware better than I do.

Do you have access to a bootable disc? Like an operating system disc or maybe a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD? I’d like to see if either could load into memory successfully.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2641069]In your first post you said [I]“It shuts down after starting up…”[/I],
which I took to mean that the computer was shutting off completely…no power, no activity at all. This would be a hardware shutdown, possibly due to cpu overheating.

If it is still sitting there idling, albeit at a blu screen, then you probably have something else going on. ~Jethro~ knows laptop hardware better than I do.

Do you have access to a bootable disc? Like an operating system disc or maybe a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD? I’d like to see if either could load into memory successfully.[/QUOTE] No cd to reboot from of any kind. I followed a post i saw about restoring and recovery and starting in safe mode it worked but after log in it would go back to the blue screen then beep and then back to chose which star system i wanted to use then blue screen now it says error in start up and installation of program, asks to push ok and the trys to restart then just repeats over and over…

Says that the HDD Password is frozen… Now im just poking at everything and trying ev erything…

It sound like either a memory or hard drive problem. Is it still under warranty? This video shows how to replace your memory, in your case you are taking it out and reseating it. Take them both out and put them both back in, if it still fails on boot, try them one at a time, in the lower slot first then the upper slot. Remember to remove the main battery and the power cord first.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2641086]It sound like either a memory or hard drive problem. Is it still under warranty? This video shows how to replace your memory, in your case you are taking it out and reseating it. Take them both out and put them both back in, if it still fails on boot, try them one at a time, in the lower slot first then the upper slot. Remember to remove the main battery and the power cord first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_uqf6KhkY[/QUOTE] It says setup is starting services then goes back to the error message and wont let me reboot or repair anymore… No more warranty got it two years ago.

Try unplugging the hard drive then boot, reinstall hard drive reboot. Take the battery out and unplug the ac first. If this fails then I would say your hard disk is toast or your mother board is toast.

[QUOTE=SpoiledBarbz;2641065]@Kerry56, im kinda scared to take it apart, but if you tell me step by step ill jump into it. it starts in safe mode then goes to the blue screen then makes aloud beeping sound then goes back to the screen to choose how to start it up, but jumps right to the blue screen and i cant chose anything…[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you had a Heat problem, but I think you compounded the problem. If you turn your Laptop over on the bottom you will see some Vents. Do you hear the Fan when you turn the computer on? If not that is your problem, and to open up your computer you need the Maintenance Manual. Working on Laptops requires experience, so I suggest taking it to a good Computer Shop or sending it back to the Manufacturer. :cool:

Thanks everyone, ive tryed everything except opening it up. Im going to bed, ill take it to the shop later today to see what they have to say. Ill let you all know what happens. Thanks Again…

[QUOTE=SpoiledBarbz;2641083]No cd to reboot from of any kind. I followed a post i saw about restoring and recovery and starting in safe mode it worked but after log in it would go back to the blue screen then beep and then back to chose which star system i wanted to use then blue screen now it says error in start up and installation of program, asks to push ok and the trys to restart then just repeats over and over…[/QUOTE]

Try using the install disc for the OS you have on your computer.