Laptop CPU fan problems

vbimport

Hi. I’ve got a Compaq Presario 2580US laptop with a fan that is starting to make some really bad, high pitched sounds and then shuts off. I talked to a repair guy today and he said that if blowing compressed air through the grill doesn’t fix it, that I would have to send it to the manufacturer for repair. He said that the laptops all have proprietary fans on them. That didn’t seem to make sense since I’ve seen fans on sale all over place. I really don’t want to have to buy a new laptop since I"m short on money right now and trying to save up to move in a few months. Any suggestions?

You could try to find one of those “cooling pads” they sell for laptops. They basically blow fresh air under the laptop. Maybe that would suffice, but then of course you don’t really have portability.

Short of that, you’re left with tearing the laptop apart to find the fan. Keeping in mind that the fan needs to be of a certain type. Good luck getting a part number from Compac, but maybe you can find a 'puter shop that can find out the number. These laptop platforms often wind up being used by more than one brand. Anyway, you’ll need the part number and try to find one just like it.

Most fans will have a paper or plastic cover over the bearing, if you peal this back and add a small drop of 3 in 1 oil you may be able to extend the use of the fan. This is not a fix, but may buy you time.