Lap top mouse scroller stoped working

vbimport

My 2 year old got a hold of my laptop and mashed all the keys and did who knows what to it. Just a few seconds of mashing actually changed alot of stuff on this laptop. I changed the settings back how ever the mouse scroller does not work. Is it broken or can it be turned back on? If anybody has any idea I would really appreciate it. THANKS :slight_smile:

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=jamesseiling;2540637]My 2 year old got a hold of my laptop and mashed all the keys and did who knows what to it. [/quote]Ouch :eek:

I changed the settings back how ever the mouse scroller does not work. Is it broken or can it be turned back on? If anybody has any idea I would really appreciate it. THANKS :slight_smile:
Im am slightly confused about the word mouse scroller. Are you referring to the touchpad?
The simplest way: check if there is a hotkey to enable/disable the touchpad (on my Acer I have to press Fn F7 for this).

You could also uninstall the pointing device using device manager and reboot.

Michael

thanks. It is a touch pad mouse with a line on the right hand side that if you move your finger up and down it scrolls the page. I turned it on and off and it still does not work. grrr. I never realized how much i actually used this feature. Thank you…

[QUOTE=jamesseiling;2540663]thanks. It is a touch pad mouse with a line on the right hand side that if you move your finger up and down it scrolls the page. I turned it on and off and it still does not work. grrr. I never realized how much i actually used this feature. Thank you…[/QUOTE]

You didn’t specify what kinda laptop it was so it will be hard to diagnosis what else might have gone wrong to cause the problem. Usually smashing the keys in would involve replacing the keyboard and if the touchpad was damage would mean that would need to be replaced as well. But without knowing what make and model your laptop is would be hard to know what else to go on.

its a compaq laptop. its about 2 years old. I have no idea what model it is. on the bottom it says presario cq60. Thanks for your help guys. I dont know anything about computers. if something has to be replaced I will just buy a new one. it was only 400 bucks. Thanks again :slight_smile:

check HP site for documentation and check for tips to check what might be wrong with your laptop as well on their site.

Hi,[QUOTE=jamesseiling;2540663]thanks. It is a touch pad mouse with a line on the right hand side that if you move your finger up and down it scrolls the page. I turned it on and off and it still does not work.[/QUOTE]What exactly does not work? The touchpad as a whole, or is it only the scrolling feature?

Michael

Just reinstall the operating system and check if everything works again.

Oh, and lock the laptop’s operating system every time your kid tries to destroy it. :slight_smile:

I got a kid who likes laptops as well, so i gave her an already broken laptop. She loves it.