LAN Problem/Azurues?

vbimport

I’m using Windows XP SP2 and have Windows firewall ON. I have a small network set-up at my home. Three computers, each receiving my cable internet through my Belkin 4-port router.

It seems, at random, my connection will be lost. I have my network settings displayed in the taskbar, and it seems like dozens of times a day I’ll get the error, “A network cable is unplugged.” Almost instantaneously, it will find the connection again. This probably doesn’t sound like a problem, but, although I’m imediately connected to the network again, it takes a while to start receiving my internet feed again. (Probably about a minute?) This is extremely frustrating when using a chat client like AIM and MSN, and having all of my conversations wiped out because of a lost connection.

One thing that I could think of that’s causing the problem: I’m using the P2P client “Azuereus,” and I have opened the port 6881 on both my router’s firewall and Window’s firewall. Opening this port increases download speeds exponentially, so I consider it a necessity.

While I said it usually takes a minute to start receiving my cable internet connection, there’s something that makes this a little stranger: when my computer is idle, I’ll lose the connection…and it won’t get it again. If I’m download something overnight, it seems it’ll go for maybe 15 minutes, then the LAN will be disconnected. When I wake up and turn my computer monitor back on (it auto-shuts down with power save), I usually am greeted with the “network cable unplugged” message. It’s like it hangs at that part of the little “cycle.” (By ‘cycle’ I’m referring to the disconnect, instantly re-connect, wait a minute for the internet…etc that’s just been plauging my computer). To go on a little more…usually, if I’m using my computer and I lose the connection, it will log me out of AIM and MSN etc and will be a big pain…but if I just give it a minute or so it usually comes around. If I go to bed and this happen, it seems to ‘hang’ and not re-find the LAN. This is incredibly frustrating when I finally achieve a good download speed on a large file over Azureus and hope to possibly have it completed by morning, only to find that it (apparently) stopped 15 minutes after I left the computer alone. Even if I’m downloading while browsing the interent, going on AIM/MSN…etc, it still is a pain, as when I lose my connection, I also lose my connection to all of those seeds/peers. (I’ll go from 70 KB/s with 15 seeds and 50 peers, and then it’ll disconnect and I’ll have to download at 2.0 KB/s for a while when it re-finds those other seeds/peers.)

Any ideas? Maybe conflicting firewalls? I don’t know. I’m just really frustrated right now. I’ve ran NortonAnti Virus, SpyBot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware – all with most recent updates – and eliminated anything that I thought could possibly be doing this to me.

Help!

I’m using the latest build of Azereus by the way, with a few plug-ins that I found through SourceForge.

It may be caused by a number of problems, but this phenomenon: “…when my computer is idle, I’ll lose the connection…and it won’t get it again.…” is caused by the firmware of the router.
Some years ago Simens routers had the same problem, i.e. loosing connection when PC was idle for some time, and most interestingly it was country-specific.
Simens provided a new firmware and the problem was solved.
Check the website of your router for a firmware update or most probably you will be able to do it through the Router’s configuration menu.

Good luck.

My cousin was having a similar problem, so updating the Firmwire was actually one of the first things I did!

And moreso, the reason I don’t think that was the problem was because of how it does it when I’m using the computer, anyway…(IE: chatting)

=-\

Check the connectivity lights on the cable modem to see if it is loosing connectivity when the problem occurs. You may have a possible block sync issue.

I just had a similar issue several weeks ago.
I started to watch the connectivity lights on the cable modem and noticed that the modem would loose connectivity during the brief disconnect period.
This eliminated all other hardware and what remained was either a line problem or moden issue.

The cable techs observed that the signal on the line fluctuated randomly between +5db and -4db.

After five visits from the cable company, during which they changed the drop line, replaced a DC coupler, removed a high pass filter and replaced the cable modem, they switch the tap that my line was connected to.

The problem was solved for me although it still existed on the other tap.

As you mention that you have three PCs on the network, does this problem happen with just one PC or all three PCs?

Problem with only one PC:

There is a good chance that there is some radio frequency interference causing the signal to drop, such as from a poor quality network cable and some source of interference (mobile phone, motorised appliance, etc). As you also mention that the connection is more likely to drop when you are away than when you are near by, this may be another sign of RFI as your body likely absorts some of the interference when you are in front of the PC, enough for the connection to go back up almost instantly after the connection is lost, but to remain down when you walk away. To rule out RFI, try changing the network cable with that from another PC, in case the cable is not properly crimped or one or more of the core pairs has been untwisted too much.

Another possibility is a bad network card. Try swapping the card with another PC to see if the problem persists.

Problem occurs on all three PCs:

In this case, the problem is obviously at the router. I have experienced a few cases where the D-Link 624G wireless series (both 54Mbps and 108Mbps versions) causes this problem. What happened is that after a few hours, the router would intermittently reset itself every minute or two, causing all the PCs to flash up “Network cable unplugged” for a second. However, the reason this occured was due to the router overheating, i.e. it was in a place where air did not freely circulate.

To check if over-heating is the issue, try pointing a desk-fan at your router for about 15 minutes and see if the issue recurrs.

The final option is to try doing a full reset, i.e. reset the router back to its factory-defaults and reprogram it.

This is all a wired network, so it should be noted that an interference problem wouldn’t be the case…

Azureus/BitTorrent is flooding your network with itty bitty packets. Your router is incapable of handling this many itty bitty packets, and is shitting itself. It then figures itself out again very quickly.

The solution is either:

1. Get a better router.

or

1. Limit the speed of Azureus.

hello,

I have the exact problem. I have observed that I have no network disconnect happens when Azureus is not running at all. I start pc, browse internet, download stuff, etc. Then I start Azureus and it will work fine for a while and then starts getting the network cable unplugged error. It will reconnect right away, but all downloads/uploads are hung since then. When the network cable disconnected shows up, the light on the network card and corresponding hub plug goes off.
I have done clean reinstall of OS, replaced hub, network card and network cable, but the problem is still persistent. I am using latest JAVA and Azureus. I had no problems with older version of JAVA and Azureus.
It looks like a lot of linux users have similar problems. It looks like either JAVA or Azureus is causing this. I will try to use an older JAVA and Azureus.
What is strange is that on another PC running WinXP-64 the same java + azureus combination runs fine…

Problem occurs on all three PCs:

In this case, the problem is obviously at the router. I have experienced a few cases where the D-Link 624G wireless series (both 54Mbps and 108Mbps versions) causes this problem. What happened is that after a few hours, the router would intermittently reset itself every minute or two, causing all the PCs to flash up “Network cable unplugged” for a second. However, the reason this occured was due to the router overheating, i.e. it was in a place where air did not freely circulate.

To check if over-heating is the issue, try pointing a desk-fan at your router for about 15 minutes and see if the issue recurrs.

The final option is to try doing a full reset, i.e. reset the router back to its factory-defaults and reprogram it.

Hey, I’m having this exact issue, I have that exact router, and am losing connection every couple minutes. I’ve tried doing the factory reset. Heck I even have the router suspended on one side so it has the top and bottom exposed to air, and I’ve lost connection once while typing this message, sorry make that twice. It’s really annoying :frowning: So if I get a new router, that should resolve the issue you think?

i dmz’d myself at home to avoid that.

You wouldn’t happen to have DHT (Distributed Hash Table network) enabled in Azureus btw? DHT means access to a large pool of possible connections when you’re using a DHT compatible client. Considering the number of connections you could make with such a network your router may not be able to cope with the onslaught.

Hey guys

i had zureus working on port 80 but it stopped after that.
what ports should i use and how do i open it?
i scanned the ports on the cache administrator and ports from 6881 to 6889 are closed.
any suggestions?
10x

I’m having the exact same problem, where my Window XP SP2 machine that is running Azereus get dropped from the network. Here’s a little batch file I wrote as a temporary fix. This reconnects me when my connection drops if I leave Azereus up over night. Stick this in your windows scheduler and have it run every 10 minutes or so:

@ECHO OFF
SET DEFAULTGATEWAY=66.92.42.1
ping -n 1 www.google.com
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO TRYAGAIN
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO END
:TRYAGAIN
ping -n 1 %DEFAULTGATEWAY%
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO RESET
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO END
:RESET
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
:END

If you haven’t already looked, check out the azureus wiki/faq. In particular:

What to do if your network connection keeps dying

Ayman0201, have a look here for recommended port ranges and info on port forwarding:

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_ports_like_6881_are_no_good_choice

Additional help/information on how to forward ports for your router (assuming you can) can be found at your router manufacturer’s website/documentation. www.portforward.com is also a good resource, simply locate your model and follow the instructions to forward the desired port(s).

二楼的签名是什么字啊?柔术?