Lame settings in cdex!

vbimport

Ok there are alot of settings in lame in cdex so i want to get it right.

Im using cdex 1.70 beta 2 and lame 3.97

anyway the settings:

firstly thread priority?

anyway mpeg version, i guess ill just use I

Mode: stero, joint stero, forced stero, and mono. What are the differneces between these steroes?

then 4 checkboxes: Private, checkdum, original, copyright?

then quality: alot of options i dont understand…

then on the fly mp3 encoding

and finally vbr method and vbr quality (only available in some quality settings)

and a few questions on the side:

On some cds media player knows the artist album, song names, etc, how?

If you rip an mp3 with lame on the same settings twice, will they both have the exact amount of bytes?

when lame comes to a new version, that is reccomended, should i re-rip my mp3s with it?

Also, if you copy a CD and rip the copy to mp3, will the files be exactly the same? If so what are blank discs for audio for?

and finally, if you convert your audio cd to waves, are the songs exact lossless copies?

thanks to anyone who answers - sorry for so many questions

http://users.on.net/~alexanderino/cdex/

yeh but that site doesnt really explain what all the different settings mean :frowning:

thanks though

OK, just some basics then. You can spend days or even weeks on the Net learning about the finer details of audio compression. But this is not the Hydrogenaudio Forums, nor am I an expert in the matter.

Ok there are alot of settings in lame in cdex so i want to get it right.

There is no universal “right” here, so don’t worry about it. Do what you’re comfortable with (and only your own learning process and experience will tell you this).

Im using cdex 1.70 beta 2 and lame 3.97

You’re up-to-date there.

anyway the settings:

CDex comes pre-configured, except for updating to your preferred Lame version and entering an e-mail address for the remote CDDB. No need to change anything really, unless you have a good reason to.

firstly thread priority?

Refers to multitasking on your PC.

anyway mpeg version, i guess ill just use I

Correct, don’t change it.

Mode: stero, joint stero, forced stero, and mono. What are the differneces between these steroes?

For best results use Joint-Stereo.

then 4 checkboxes: Private, checkdum, original, copyright?

Not required.

then quality: alot of options i dont understand…

Read up on these Lame settings if you must. Presets are provided for your convenience and “preset fast standard” is recommended. If you need smaller files, look in the guide I linked to for alternate settings.

then on the fly mp3 encoding

On-the-fly means encode while you rip (as opposed to first rip, then encode).

and finally vbr method and vbr quality (only available in some quality settings)

There’s CBR (Constant Bit Rate), VBR (Variable Bit Rate) and ABR (Average Bit Rate) to choose from. Google if you need more details, an often used and simple setting for everyday use is CBR@192kbps.

On some cds media player knows the artist album, song names, etc, how?

Audio CD’s can have something called CD-Text or your media player can look them up in an online database. Mp3’s have ID3-Tags.

If you rip an mp3 with lame on the same settings twice, will they both have the exact amount of bytes?

I would think so. Why don’t you try it?

when lame comes to a new version, that is reccomended, should i re-rip my mp3s with it?

If you (think you) can hear the difference and you have the time, feel free to. Always rip from the original CD or WAV file, do not re-encode existing mp3’s.

Also, if you copy a CD and rip the copy to mp3, will the files be exactly the same? If so what are blank discs for audio for?

Another experiment you can make (but you certainly won’t hear any difference). Blank CD’s for Audio are intended for use in standalone recorders that don’t support normal CD-R/RW discs.

and finally, if you convert your audio cd to waves, are the songs exact lossless copies?

Yes.

thanks to anyone who answers - sorry for so many questions

You’re welcome - I hope it can help you get started. :slight_smile:

A couple of follow-up questions from another CDEx novice. I’ve found various tutorials on setting up CDEx (my computer runs WindowsXP). Can anyone clarify two points for me please:

1. How can I tell whether I need to download and install an “ASPI layer” (whatever that is!) from Nero or Adaptec or wherever. The alexanderino tutorial linked above says “don’t download the Nero ASPI if you already have the Adaptec one installed”. But how do I know, and how can I check?
  2. can anyone please explain/translate the various Filename Format settings (the string of symbols including % signs). There is a default setting in CDEx; the various different tutorials (eg on codecs.com and help2go) recommend putting in different settings, but don’t explain what these settings deliver in terms of Artist/Title/Track format. Can someone provide a plain man’s translation and guide explaining what each formula actually means?

br1anstorm

Hi, - when running XP by no means install Adaptec’s ASPI. You can put Nero’s wnaspi32.dll in the CDex folder if needed. Google for ASPICheck if you want to see whether you have Adaptec installed already.

The file name strings are explained in CDex itself. Just try it out and use the settings you prefer yourself for making folders/mp3 file names.

My filename settings in CDex are generally like this:

%2%1 - %7 - %4

This will result in an Album folder, and inside a filename like this: Artist - 01 - Track Name.

I can’t remember having to install any ASPI on either of 2 systems to get CDex running correctly. Howver, I may have had Nero already installed on both machines.

I like an “Artist - Album (Year)” folder with “01-Track Name” files :slight_smile:

Don’t ask me what that is in CDex, I haven’t ripped a CD in ages (who uses them anymore :bigsmile: ). I only use LP’s :eek: .

Thanks, Cressida… this makes things slightly clearer. But not completely. I’ve figured out the filename setings. But I’m still puzzled by this ASPI business. I’ve checked using ASPICheck, and it seems my system doesn’t have the Adaptec ASPI.

OK, so now what? Do I need to install an ASPI? I’ve read two tutorials on CDEx which contradict each other. This one, http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/CD_Ripping_Encoding_Guide_2.htm

says that as an XP user I should check the setting that says “Use Native NT SCSI library”.

This one, http://users.on.net/~alexanderino/cdex/ says (like you) that I should download and insert wnaspi32.dll from the Nero site , and uncheck the “Native NT SCSI …” box.

So which advice should I follow? And what difference does it make?

br1anstorm

So you don’t have Adaptec’s, that’s good. If CDex works fine with the “Native NT SCSI library” then keep that. If you experience any problems, try the Nero or FrogASPI wnaspi32.dll file. There’s no difference, as long as it works. :slight_smile:

Well, the plot thickens…

I installed CDex (logged on as Administrator). When I opened it, a popup said it couldn’t find an ASPI, and did I want to use the “Native NT SCSI library” instead. I clicked yes. All seemed well, and i configured the rest of the settings. CDex was able to connect to remote cddb, and identify the music CD in the drive. I didn’t actually rip from it…

Then I logged out as Admin, and logged into my normal user account (for security reasons I don’t like logging in as Administrator to do regular daily routine work). When I tried to fire up CDex (as a User) a popup said CDex could not operate with “Native NT SCSI library”, and that I needed to install an ASPI.

So, as advised, I downloaded the Nero wnaspi32.dll and copied it to the CDex folder.

Fired up CDex again in my User account. Same popup… and even with a music CD in the tray, it doesn’t seem to “see” the drive or read the CD info (the CD drive tab boxes are all blank).

Does CDex only function on a system, or on an account, which has Administrator privileges? If so, this seems pretty daft. Is there any way of resolving this so that I or others can use CDex while logged on as a User?

(I’m beginning to think this issue deserves a separate, new thread about CDex and ASPI - can the moderators move these posts?)

br1anstorm

Try again with Nero BurnRights :wink: .

• and I thought CDex was supposed to be simple…straightforward… user-friendly! Now I have to download some of a Nero program to get CDex to work?

I already have Sonic RecordNow CD-burning software pre-installed on my computer. Can I be confident that installing some bits of Nero won’t screw up my Sonic RecordNow program?

I’m beginning to wonder whether I shouldn’t go for Exact Audio Copy instead. I think I’d be willing to tackle the more complex configuring of EAC, if installing it doesn’t need the addition of a collection of extra bits of software from elsewhere!

Or does EAC also require this faffing around with ASPI and Administrator/User accounts?

I’m a great believer in KISS (Keep It Simple, …). So what should be my next step(s)?

br1anstorm

You can do without BurnRights if you prefer, but then you must read the CDex FAQ :slight_smile: . It comes down to the same thing. Running a limited user account will always require some extra work, not only with CDex, you will agree.

Keep in mind that CDex is a freeware-project which was abandoned by its maker long ago. But like Decrypter & Shrink it has survived this long just because it’s such a great little program :iagree: .

Ah well, I’ve bitten the bullet. Installed Nero BurnRights, set up the relevant permissions, and - I think - I can now run CDex from my User account. Will try it out anyway (if it doesn’t rip, I’ll be posting again!).

So thanks, Cressida, for your advice and patience. Incidentally I wasn’t aware CDex had been “abandoned”: aren’t newer versions currently being worked on?

And - for the benefit of other Win XP or XP Pro users who need to set up CDex using the Nero wnaspi32 and BurnRights - I strongly recommend John Bokma’s guides. See this link for his general guide http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/01/30/ripping-music-cd-with-cdex.html

and this one for the Nero BurnRights info http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/01/30/nero-burnrights-installing-and-configuring.html

Thanks again - and good luck to others who go down the same road.

br1anstorm