New MusicNet service to launch in

There's not much news these days, as you probably understand most of the web is reporting mostly about the terrorist war in the USA and most companies don't release new products these days. Do you however find intresting news, please use our news submit.

Cnet.com reports that Musicnet is set to be launched in weeks. This service backed by several big players on the internet will resell their content to services like AOL and Napster.

On the other side they are also busy, Musicnet's rival Pressplay said last week it was set for a mid-September launch, but because of the terrorist attacks this date is unsure.

MusicNet, backed by RealNetworks, AOL Time Warner's Warner Music Group, EMI Recorded Music and Bertelsmann's BMG Entertainment, is one of two music subscription services poised to launch this fall. Zomba, a giant independent label, is also part of the MusicNet service.

Rival Pressplay, owned jointly by Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment, said last week it was set for a mid-September launch.

"The normal course of business will resume on Monday, and we will revisit the issue then," a Pressplay spokesman said Friday.

Many Pressplay's employees were based in New York, where business was at a standstill this week because of the collapse of the World Trade Center in air attacks, he said.

Pressplay is set to launch on Microsoft's MSN, Yahoo and MP3.com. The service will also market directly to customers, offering a selection of somewhere between 70,000 and 100,000 songs.

MusicNet is a business-to-business venture, selling both technology and its content to partners such as AOL, RealNetworks and Napster

I can't wait untill they release these services, personally I'm very intrested in the security issues that will come with these services.

And as long as there are still other filesharing networks I can't imagine these new paid services will succeed, but on the other had, people are used to pay way to much for music.

Source: Cnet.com

No posts to display