Labels affecting playback?

i have been having problems with backed up discs not playing in a lot of dvd players. i changed media as suggested by the helpful people here. I bought the highly recommended “made in taiwan” verbatims and after making a copy i did a quality disc check with nero cd/dvd speed and it gave me a 95 quality rating and the graphs looked really good. i thought i figured out the problem(bad media), but i then put a label on the disc and rescanned it with nero speed and got a 0 quality and the graph started to spike towards the last half of the disc just like the other dvd’s all did. The burn quality looks really good until halfway through the burn, and then the graph starts to spike at around 2.5-3.0 gig. this pattern is the same with every disc that i have burned and then scanned with nero speed. I was wondering how bad media would cause this? I would think bad media would be inconsistent and faulty in different places on the disc, which is not the case here. So it appears that the labels are causing the problem. maybe as the laser gets to the outer portion of the disc there is too much wable and it causes problems. I was wondering if anyone can recommed good labels that don’t give these types of problems. thanks

I’ve found that labels on CDs are fine - providing they are properly centred and lovely & flat.
However, with DVDs it seems to be a little different. Nobody here would recommend labels on DVDs. Maybe it’s a case of the balance being affected or as the construction of a DVD being quite different to a CD that the laser recognition is affected. There is also the suggestion that over time the adhesive is being absorbed into the burned layer.
Lightscribe or printable surface DVDs are probably the only way to go.

These lables on DVD are almost certainly a problem, there bad on CD-R’s as I have found out over time, the adhesive actually dries out and causes the lable to come loose, removing the writable layer of the CD,this results in a totally useless CD.

I now use an Epson R300 for printing both DVD’s and CD’s, it is very easy to do and more cost effective than lables.

This is not entirely correct, since the CD is a single 1.2 mm polycarbonate layer with the reflective layer on top of it, while a DVD consists of the reflective layer sandwiched between two 0.6 mm polycarbonate layers.

But these labels might be causing warping. Many labels will also attract water with time and make balance trouble.

If you remove the labels, you’ll see that the quality will most likely go back up and you’ll be able to read your data again, maybe not as good as before applying the label though.

Were these by any chance Verbatim Super Azo + Crystal CD-R? The Crystal surface of these is quite prone to those problems.

thanks for the feedback, most people are saying that the labels are a problem over time. I don’t know if this matters but i put the label on 15 minutes after i burned the disc and rescanned it immidietly and got a zero quality reading. as far as the balancing goes, i don’t know because i can’t see inside the drive but it would make sense that the errors occur on the outer portion of the disc because there would be more wobble towards the outside of the disc.

does your epson print the cd’s/dvd’s in colour or black in white only? i was trying to find one that prints color but could find only black and white for the dvd printing

Epson prints in colour. Be warned it is primarily designed as a domestic photoprinter with disc printing capabilites. REad this thread I can’t be arsed typing it all again: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=175345

Topic title answer: yes.

i don’t know if cd speed is giving me accurate info or not, i have quality checked the dvd’s and have seen anywhere from 0 quality reading to 95 qulaity reading on the same disc without changing a thing. with a 0 reading i would not expect the dvd to play in any dvd player but it does play with no problems. i am starting to think that there may be a problem with my p.c. or burning software. this is getting frustrating.

Labels are crap and should NEVER be used at all. They cause physical rotational imbalance in disks, causing the bearings of ROMS and stand-alone players to wear out more quickly and they are a headache for the poor laser trying to track the disk, as well. Also, I have heard that the formulation of adhesives in labels can somehow eat into the disks themselves, sometimes playing havoc with the data layer.
I used to label disks all the time and, to a disk, they all corrupted after a couple of months, quality media or not. I invested in a Canon Pixma 3000 printer a couple of years back to print directly onto printable media and have never looked back ever since. If you want labels on disks this is your best and safest option. Buy a printer that prints directly to disk and chuck your adhesive labels away.

I also use an Epson (R220 I think) to print labels directly on printable DVDs. In fact thats th only thing I use the printer for.

Printing directly on DCs/DVDs is the greatest invention since sliced bread! Not only does it eliminate the balance/solvent/peeling problems of stick-on labels, it is less time consuming. No need to stick a lablel on after printing it.

I was a little hesitant to buy the printer because the documentation said it can take up to 24 hours for the label to dry. But on the disks i’m using (Verbatim DVD+R) they are dry almost imediately. Maybe some other brands of printable media surface are so non-porous it takes a long time to dry.

i don’t know if cd speed is giving me accurate info or not, i have quality checked the dvd’s and have seen anywhere from 0 quality reading to 95 qulaity reading on the same disc without changing a thing. with a 0 reading i would not expect the dvd to play in any dvd player but it does play with no problems. i am starting to think that there may be a problem with my p.c. or burning software. this is getting frustrating.

Kenny…it’s most likely the quality of media you’re using and the labels…however it is possible that extensive use of labelled disks has stuffed your burner. Read what I wrote above…please ditch those labels for your burner’s sake and your wallet’s sake.

Thanks for the advise, i am throwing my labels in the trash. As for my burner, i wish i had the skills to troubleshoot it to see if it is working properly or not. Still new to this but i am learning a lot quickly