LabelFlash vs LightScribe

I just posted the article LabelFlash vs LightScribe.

The next generation Hi Definition formats Blu-ray and HD-DVD are not the only contendents in optical media market. In fact, there is also a, maybe more silent, “war” between the two main…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12809-LabelFlash-vs-LightScribe.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12809-LabelFlash-vs-LightScribe.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think LightScribe is far more popular than Label Flash simply because a lot more burners support it and there is also a large variety of media certified for LightScribe labeling. Not only does Label Flash work with DVD blanks only, but as far as I know, only FujiFilm media has a Label Flash surface. On the other hand, Label Flash has the advantage that text or picture can be written to the data side of a blank DVD.

LabelFlash was shown to be higher contrast and easier to look at than Lightscribe. I have a lightscribe burner and they created a higher contrast utility which might now rival labelflash. I like lightscribe and would have gotten label flash if there were burners and discs which there were (and are not) readily available. Hope the next gen formats use one of these label side systems.

As both of these technologies are far inferior in appearance to inkjet printables, they need to cost LESS than inkjet, not more.

Would be more accurate to say “Pio is not dropping labelflash yet…” … as I’m still looking for LF media to come to Canada. Maybe there will be some as they lower royalties.

>>Pioneer is relaunching the LabelFlash technology Pioneer drives use same chips as NEC drives. So NEC LabelFlash in Pioneer burner is not a big deal :S

I would say lightscribe is cheaper than inkjet discs once you factor in the price of overpriced marked up ink jet refills needed. I bought a laser printer and will never go inkjet again, it is a waste of money for me.

Does anyone know what label design software labelflash uses?

Do you know if you can use lightscribe discs to burn on if you have a labelflash burner? :bigsmile: