Labelflash almost dead?

Just found by accident that my Pioneer 218L supports labelflash! Had a quick look for UK sellers of the media and have so far only found 1. Is this pretty much on its way out now?

[QUOTE=rendez2k;2583712]Is this pretty much on its way out now?[/QUOTE] In my opinion it was never really on it’s way in and it never caught on.

Label flash didn’t require special media just blank space on the recordable side of the disk to etch in the picture. Pretty sure the newest drives only support DVD media though I think the early Yamaha CDRW burners obviously supported CDR media as pretty sure they originally developed it.
Light Scribe does use special media to work and I think it is getting harder to find. I have a 30 pack I bought just to try it out and haven’t used one yet.
I did use Label flash a few times when I got firmware that supported it and it was cool but the newer media layers are so light now you can hardly see the pictures, plus it takes a long time to burn the pics, but it is pretty cool when it works. I can print labels with my Epson printers so as long as I have some printable media that’s what I do now if I want a cool label or picture.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2583768]but the newer media layers are so light now you can hardly see the pictures[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the image faded over time?

I found an old Labelflash blank yesterday in my stocks and printed the same label on that and a Lightscribe. I am really surprised that Lightscribe is the preferred method out of the two these days and Labelflash seems all but gone! The image and contrast was much better with Labelflash.

I also have a Canon disc printer but somehow Labelflash still looks great and has a special almost high-tech look to the print.

Is [I]Dartman[/I] getting Labelflash confused with LabelTag, the system used by some of the current LiteOn models!?

Nope, there was a Label flash version way before Label tag which I think is just a ripoff of the tech Yamaha was using that got adopted by other makers when they quit.
The 7263 Optiarc drives and some of the Pioneer variants support it. I think it was more popular in Europe, here in the state we seem to be pushed to Light Scribe tech.
And no the image doesn’t fade over time, the newer dyes are just a lot lighter then the older slow speed disks we used to get so the photos don’t show up as well.
I have some I did when I crossed my 111 Pioneer drive and they still are as vivid as they were when new except for all the scratches from laying around forgotten at times.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2584106]Nope, there was a Label flash version way before Label tag which I think is just a ripoff of the tech Yamaha was using that got adopted by other makers when they quit.
.[/QUOTE]

Yes but what you are referring to is Labeltag (Yamaha DiscT@2).

Both those systems print to the unused area on the data side of the disc. I have a LiteON Ihas524 that does this.

Labelflash, like Lightscribe, prints to a special coating on the media, on the LABEL side of the disc.

Well it was called LabelFlash on the Pioneer and also on the 7263 and it printed to the unused area of the DVD’s I used to try it with so maybe I’m wrong but pretty sure at least the Pioneer was way before label Tag came out.
My version of Nero calls it LabelFlash and has my 7263 listed as supporting it.
Never had to use any special disk that I know of and it is cool that I can use crappy disks to make cool pictures with or label or whatever though I haven’t used it much. I’ve never used the 30 LightScribe disks I bought just to check it out once the other drive could do it on any disk just about I had laying around for much cheaper.

I think you may be write, that at some time Label flash was used to describe a form of writing to the data side of the disc.

Though I believe what the OP is referring to is the latter version, using special Labelflash discs - see:

http://labelflash.jp/what/index.html

WHEW! Maybe we are both right then, never heard of that version so it’s new to me but usually the LabelFlash drives I use never got sold here in the USA either so it doesn’t get much notice here anyways.
That’s very interesting link and they use the same symbol that Nero uses for the program built into their burning stuff. Now if both styles of drives are available in some areas that must be very confusing and frustrating for the poor users. I haven’t even looked for any LightScribe disks in years so don’t know if the disks for that version are still readily available either.