Label Maker Software

vbimport

Looking for a good program to buy or free that will print labels! Music Match was great but now I have Windows 8! I mainly want to print labels that will have song title/artist! Music Match was easy! Thanks

I’ve not used it, but Nero has their label-maker software free. In the $25 range, there’s Surething, which has a good forum and an excellent moderator with a long history of answering CCDB link questions.

Paper labels on CD or DVDs is a real bad idea. Use inkjets and print your DVDs and CDs.

what printer do you recommend to do this

If you live in North America, to print on ink-jet disks, I can recommend the Epson printers - although careful study of ‘what’s available’ will tell you Epsons are about it! If you’re in Europe, there are Canons and Epsons that are roughly equivalent.

In North America, I enjoy the Epson Artisan 700 series - which are now replaced by the new Expression Premium 600 and 800 series.

I can still find Epson Artisan 700s from the Epson Store as Refurb Units, often in the $70-90 range. At this price, buy two because they each contain $70 worth of ink, and IF you get a bad refurb unit, you’ve got a replacement immediately! Very handy.

The Artisan 800 series is the same unit except with an auto-sheet-feeder attached on top. If you do a lot of page scanning, then perhaps this is useful. It’s not to me so I avoid the 8’s.

The new Expression Premium 600s and 800s have direct-on-disk printing - the lower-numbered unit (400s? 300s?) don’t, so be careful when you’re shopping. Every few months, the Expression Prem 600s will be on sale for $99 - and normally are $30-50 more.

The Artisans have an “escalator feed-tray” for direct on disk printing. While this felt flimsy at first, after thousands and thousands of print-jobs, they are wonderfully durable and incredibly precise.

The new Expression series returns to a manually-fed ‘tray’ and, while we used the original R and RX series, the tray-feed rollers are “the first thing to go” - where the rollers eventually became too slicked-up to feed a slick plastic tray for accurate printing. That will take a couple of thousand feeds, maybe twice that many, but that’s usually ‘the death’ of tray-feeders.

The Artisan is a LARGE printer, to warn you. It will take a 2-foot-square amount of desk space. Large! The Expressions are almost as wide but a few inches shallower, so they fit more easily.

Cannon is now selling disc printing machines in the USA, has been for a year or two. Available in plain printers and MF models.

Oh yes, some of the Canons are identical to the Epson Expressions, too - I don’t know if they share ink cartridges. And researching which models print on CD-DVDs remains a problem because of the vast number of model numbers.

Canon-Epson printers have used identical engines for many years now.

These newest Epson Artisan and Expressions (and, likely, the Canon equiv’s) have installed a “reservoir” ink system, too, which I find preferable. Instead of ink-cartridges bleeding into the print-heads, they now empty into a reservoir.

This means that an empty print-cartridge doesn’t stop printing mid-document - the printer completes the document, then beeps for a replacement cartridge.

I have a Canon MG6220 that I bought in a Gold Box deal on Amazon for 50USD and it prints the best discs I have ever seen. Its got the exact same setup as the Epson RX series, print tray goes in and comes out with the disc printed. I only use white inkjet printable Taiyo Yudens 16X -R. :iagree:

I just bought the Epson xp-600 if you look around it sells for $99 to me it is really easy to use.

[QUOTE=thewolfe;2693858]I just bought the Epson xp-600 if you look around it sells for $99 to me it is really easy to use.[/QUOTE]
They are all easy to use if you use stock Ink carts and not refilled ones. I have ruined printers with those refilled after market ink carts. LOL.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2693926]They are all easy to use if you use stock Ink carts and not refilled ones. I have ruined printers with those refilled after market ink carts. LOL.[/QUOTE]
I have never ruined an Epson printer using refills, and I’ve had about 8 of them. There is a definite difference in print quality and lifespan though.