LA cracks down on CD/DVD pirates on trains & warns buyers

I just posted the article LA cracks down on CD/DVD pirates on trains & warns buyers.

With  physical CD and DVD piracy moving away from the streets, the Los Angeles  Sheriff's Department ran a sting on piracy carried out on the trains running between Long  Beach and...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11524-LA-cracks-down-on-CD_DVD-pirates-on-trains--warns-buyers.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11524-LA-cracks-down-on-CD_DVD-pirates-on-trains--warns-buyers.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The real question is when will they target piracy in planes, or even ocean liners. Can piracy enforcement in space be far behind, now that we have companies like Virgin Galactic providing sub-orbital trips int he near future? What about time travel? Will they be able to stop pirates in the 1600s? How about the year 2525 AD? Let’s not forget alternate dimensions!

I don’t know what you have been smoking mate but you can keep it. Police in England went on a rampage in Harrow arresting all these Chinese illegal immigrants selling pirate material on the weekend. Guess they are going for the easy targets like physical distributors rather than P2P operaters. I suppose it’s harder to turn around and say that P2P operators use piracy to fund other criminal activities…
[edited by StarGhost on 21.02.2006 06:29]

Is it just me, or do we hear way more about this type of bust then anything to do with our out of control drug problem in North America?

Your out of control drug problem is out of date news my friend. No-one is interested in it. Anyway it’s hardly relevant to this site is it?

'Police in England went on a rampage in Harrow arresting all these Chinese illegal immigrants selling pirate material on the weekend. Guess they are going for the easy targets like physical distributors rather than P2P operators. I suppose it’s harder to turn around and say that P2P operators use piracy to fund other criminal activities" 'Is it just me, or do we hear way more about this type of bust then anything to do with our out of control drug problem in North America?" This whole thing about pirate’s funding terrorists is just getting way over the top. When in doubt always use the excuse 'it funds crime and terrorists" These nut cases have been dropping bombs long before anybody ever heard of Hollywood or DVD’s and I highly think the MPAA is likely to stop it. The other side has several 1000 years of practice.

Anyone consider that perhaps some innocent people got “busted” in this sting. Perhaps some of the people busted were carrying copies for their own listening/viewing pleasure. Granted portable CD players never really gained too high of a popularity (at least not that I personally observed) but could it have been possible that some of these people were commuters who had a portable DVD/CD player and were actually viewing/listening to their legally made copies while going to/from work? I have heard of people busted for “piracy” when a cop who pulled them over to give them a ticket noticed that their CD collection was all hand labelled, a sure sign of piracy. Also heard about people turned in by their mechanics who noticed the same thing. Far fetched? Nope, I have seen a few people on the commuter train I take who bring portable DVD players along. Don’t know if they have the original discs or copies. Don’t care, they clearly were not trying to sell them on the train that I take.

well im supprised then if this is so mutch to do with organised crime then why havent the mob the crime rings put out hits on members of riaa mpaa or whatever they are ll called ??? why cant the corperates just be happy with the collasal amounts of money they get ?

“Raids resulted in a seizure of an estimated 1,841 DVDs, 5,904 CDs, two CD/DVD writers, a portable DVD player and various other items related to the piracy.” i think we’re all missing the real question, what the hell where they doing with two CD/DVD writers on a train? “i’ll just do you a copy on the spot mate, take about 12 minutes”. i better not buy a DVD writer, come home on the train, and have a look at it on the train or i might get busted too! what next, they catch you using your phone with a 1gb flash card and they arrest you because the phone could in theory be used to store a pirated film!

Of all the crimes that need to be eradicated in that area, they go for the low-hanging fruit which doesn’t harm any humans… ignoring dangerous crime, cuz it’s dangerous. Folks should think twice about buying DVDs of current theatre movies on mass transit, not because they could get busted by real-crime-avoiding cops, but because the film quality is pretty much bollocks. That copy of [I]Jarhead[/I] I watched last Christmas which was filmed at a Mexican theatre sucked because all the (jar)heads were cut off!

This is so much crap. I’ve been going to the same spot in L.A. for the past 3 years and they’re always there. Sometimes you can tell that there is a sting or whatever cause everyone is gone, wait 20 minutes, they’re back in business. Think the Police are that stupid? Naahhh, they just couldn’t care less. :d

“well im supprised then if this is so mutch to do with organised crime then why havent the mob the crime rings put out hits on members of riaa mpaa or whatever they are ll called ???” Perhaps the organized crime is running both sides of the show. Think about it. They invest heavily in the RIAA and the MPAA to get profits from them. Then they encourage piracy operations on the street to get money from that side of it. Just to stir things up, or when one pirate operation isn’t paying as much as the syndicates think they should, they provide a tip to the cops. The cops bust them, get big headlines, then the syndicates, through the MPAA/RIAA, push for tougher DRM’s through bribes … er I mean contributions to politicians to maximize their investments. :d This way they win regardless of what happens. :B