Kubuntu

vbimport

I’m so new with linux, so don’t be harsh on me if I ask “stupid” questions.

I’ve tried to install different distributions of linux on my computer, but with no succes. Recently I tried to install linux peanut and Immunix. Everything went fine till I needed to give my login name and password, cause after I had done that I got stuck in a sort of dos-mode. I have no Idea what so ever to do from that dos-mode.
Could someone help me? Where did I go wrong, or what should I type in the command line to go to a graphical user interface where I can just work with my mouse . . .

and . .

Could someone please explain to me, the difference between the kubuntu Desktop Edition and the kubuntu Alternate Edition, or do I need both of them to work?

Thanks in advance, and please keep in mind, I’m completely new with linux, I have no Idea what to do . . .

:confused:

Try “startx” after login.

Forget those two distibutions you mentioned though. As a beginner better install Kubuntu - Desktop sounds like the right choice (should be easy to search or google what the Alternate stands for - I don’t know).

Alright, thanks for the reply Cressida, by the way, I did try the startx command in the command line for the peanut and Immunix version, but I constantly got an error, something about my graphic configuration or so.

Anyway I’ll try the Kubuntu version, hope that, that one will do the trick . . .

Thanks again . . .

[B]By the way,
is it normal for the Kubuntu software to fit on just 1 CD-R ???[/B]

Hi :slight_smile:
This looks promising from your point of view.
[B]Unbuntu:[/B]

Thanks, I’ll dig into it.

:smiley:

[I]By the way,
is it normal for the Kubuntu software to fit on just 1 CD-R ???[/I]

Hi :slight_smile:
Most home editions seem to be around 690MBs. So yes a single CDR should be adequate.
BTW differences between the two:

Desktop CD:
The desktop CD includes a live system which allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all, and provides you with the option to install it permanently. This is the most common type of CD image that is downloaded, as the installation process is easier for new users. You will need at least 256MB of RAM to install from this CD.

Alternate CD:
The alternate CD allows you perform custom, or expert, installations of Kubuntu. It is required for setting up automated deployments, upgrading from older installations without network access, LVM and/or RAID partitioning, installing GRUB (Boot Loader) to a location other than the Master Boot Record, and for systems with less than 256MB of RAM.

I think it safe to say that Desktop CD is the better option here.

Your getting the error because your graphic card is not configured. And you need to configure X.
After you type your user name and pass word.
Type “su” or “sudo” and your root password
Then type [B]“ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg [/B]
Answer the questions on the screen in most cases you can accept what the setup screen proposed and just click OK and select your screen resolution and all is done.
Then type [B]‘sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start [/B] you may or may not need sudo at the start of the command

That’s it and now you should have a fresh new GUI appeared. :slight_smile:

That would be for (k)ubuntu, [B]coathi[/B], but I don’t expect there’ll be a problem getting into the GUI with that :wink: . Peanut and Immunix are pretty old, [B]SDragonX[/B], I wonder how you still wound up with those. Unless you have older hardware as well, you’ll never get them set up correctly. If you haven’t wiped the partitions and installed kubuntu yet, “xf86config” (as “root”) might help (it did in my CorelLINUX OS days :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Yes you are correct :iagree: it is for ubuntu but works the same with kubuntu and most other linux distros! They are both Debian base distro, the only difference is ubuntu uses gnome as a GUI and kubuntu uses KDE.

Yes Peanut is old it used to use Enlightenment as its default GUI but it still lives on. It’s been reincarnated as alinux. :slight_smile:

Since I’m a beginner with this, trying to install it (linux) properly appears to be very difficult, but I think I got it now.

Thanks for the help you guys, I’ll give it a try as soon as possible :smiley:

I found openSuse10.2 alot easier to work with … kubuntu was a shocker for my (newer) video card hardware - and I was using edgy edge, the latest version, about 1 month ago :stuck_out_tongue: