Kprobe, comparing results between 811s and 851s

vbimport

Hi, I have been reading the forums the last few days and I just learned about kprobe. So I decided to start to test some of my burns to make sure that everything is well. What perplexes me the most is the different results I get between burners. I have the Liteon 811s at home and the 851s at work. When burning using the 811s and testing with kprobe on each drive the disc looks MUCH better on the 851s. For example a Ricoh R01 would give an average PI of 80 on the 811 but on the 851 the max never exceeded say 12.

So last night I loaded the 4.60 ASPI drivers and updated the 811 from HS0k to HS0Q and did another burn. I then used Kprobe to scan the disc. Here is disc written with and read by the 811.

OK, here I scanned the same disc using Kprobe on the 851s

What should I make of this??

I have been using Ricoh media for months and my Liteon loves it and so does my APEX so I was very happy. I just picked up some cheap Memorex Ricohs and I’ve read some bad stuff about them on the dvdrhelp board. Some go as far as to say that Memorex Ricohs are not as good as other Ricohs. Without starting an argument on the subject I figured I would test them.

By looking at the 811s scan I would say that the media is just so, so. But looking at the 851s scan I would say that this Ricoh media rivals TY.

But which is right??:confused:

They are both “right”. What they are telling you is that the media is working better, to some extent, in one drive. It tells you that you really can’t always compare burns and scans from different drives. You might just as easily get the same variation in results on 2 811S drives, or 2 851S drives.

This new firmware seems to have effected the way the 811s reads but I am unsure of how it has effected its ability to right. Here is a disc written with the HS0K firmware and read with the HS0K

Same disc again but read with the HS0Q firmware

The PI’s and PO’s doubled with the new firmware but obviously the burn was the same. I am mostly interested in burn quality.

For grins here is the same disc using the 851s to scan.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
They are both “right”. What they are telling you is that the media is working better, to some extent, in one drive. It tells you that you really can’t always compare burns and scans from different drives. You might just as easily get the same variation in results on 2 811S drives, or 2 851S drives.

rdgrimes, thanks for your reply. I certainly agree with what you are saying. I have also tested some of these discs in another 811s that I have access to and the PI and PO counts are usually half of what my drive reads. I’m just trying to figure out if I have a problem. Of course BEFORE I downloaded Kprobe I was very happy since my DVDs playback great and my standalone loves them.

My goal is simply quality burns.

Originally posted by rainmakers
OK, here I scanned the same disc using Kprobe on the 851s
What should I make of this??

OK, here is one scan of RICOHJPNR01 2,4-4X burned at 8X
Note; my drive is 411@811(Z-modV4). Burn HS0Q scan HS0K

What can you make out of this? rainmakers.

Pinto2, well I would say it looks excellent. A good burn, good scan, and quality media.

Originally posted by rainmakers
Pinto2, well I would say it looks excellent. A good burn, good scan, and quality media.

Doesn’t it also show that HSOK has better reading capablity ?

I just went back to HSOK from HSOQ because all Kprobe scans were worse on HSOQ with the Ricoh R01/02, in the regions of PI max= 120 with HSOQ and 90 with HSOK.

Now the discussion shows that the burning quality is necessarily better with HSOK.

Well, back to HS0K