Kprobe 2 SPTI issue?

vbimport

#1

im starting to get really inconsistent results using the latest version of kprobe 2. seems now on the same disk that tested fine earlier im getting consistent high block spikes…not getting this with kprobe 1.29. Is this a result of the SPTI driver setting…this is a external drive so i have to use that driver. not having any issues with the driver for writing dvds with decryptor. I was getting this before my firmware update also and am not using realtime results.

i will try taking the drive out of my usb2 external housing and try it internally and see if it works better with aspi.


#2

ok installing it internally and changing the driver to aspi seems to have made it better. i only had a few individual spikes to delete no blocks like the SPTI was giving me.



#3

Ok heres the skinny on my problem and maybe some others.

  1. dont use SPTI drivers with kprobe2 very inconsistent results (maybe ok if you set both ecc sums to 8 like kprobe1 does).

  2. I rearranged my liteon drive on my ide controller its now a slave to the harddrive on the master channel. It was with the scan above a slave to a NEC 2500A. I dont think it likes being a slave to another optical with nforce chipsets (no im not using nforce ide drivers).

look at the results from the same dvd as above now…

:wink:


#4

also to prove that its better now a scan from my nu 082 drive burning a Cheapo Generic (unknown name) DVD -4x at 4x…i really like nu for cheap media!

also with this configuration im getting very few spikes.
:bow:


#5

hmm getting the bars again…this version seems real inconsistent for me…look like ill go back to 1.29.


#6

still was getting blocks in 1.29 also…removed some suspicious software and now it seems fine. seems my cpu was spiking to 100% for periods of time. Once i confirm this ill report what software i think was doing it…its one that some of us use and others told us not to use it…:wink:


#7

I’ve had red error spikes on my kprobe 2.23 scans as well, when using external usb 2.0 LTR-52327s (either via Ahead/Nero WNASPI32.DLL or via SPTI).

The problem seems to be related to high cpu activity, during which the kprobe2 scanning throttles down in speed (or at least the speed indicator in kprobe window slows down).

I’m running a very well optimized Athlon 3400+ with nforce3 board 1 GB of RAM, fast SATA discs and no nVidia IDE drivers.

However, I’m not getting these spikes all the time, but I do get them regardless of whether I use ASPI or SPTI. I’ve only had it happen with the external drive though (internal drives on the IDE/ATA bus are always fine).

Can you tell me which software you were suspecting for high cpu activity?

Also, if you have any other clues/ideas, please chime in again.

Thanks!


#8

Ive had such little issues with kprobe since 2.1 came out that i really dont know where to help you…are your spikes single spikes? if so just right click and remove them thats normal with some burns and certain media…not a bug. i use my cpu while scanning and havent noticed any issues with it and the graphs.


#9

I do have quite a lot of issues with the external USB 2.0 LTR-52327s when scanning at max speed.

If I do absolutely nothing at all (no other programs running, don’t really do even light tasks), then I sometimes get ok scans without red spikes.

However, even if I do very casual text-only browsing, something which does not throw off the scanning with my IDE drives, I get results like this with the external drive:

I know I can just ignore the erroneus red graphs, but they are misleading and I’d rather get rid of them.

I’m still investigating, not sure if this is a chipset/driver or USB bridge chip issue, but those are my main suspects at this point.

cheers,
halcyon



#10

you using microsoft ide drivers because i had to uninstall my nvidia ones to get it to work ok. also im using firewire…but i cant recall issues with usb2 as to scanning…


#11

Yes, I’m using MS original XP drivers, none of those nVidia flakey ones, which have never ever really worked for me (for opticals anyway).

This motherboard has pretty ok usb 2 implementation (in terms of transfer rates, although a little bit high on the cpu utilisation side). I’ve also tried every single USB port at the back of my computer, but that makes no difference either (as it shouldn’t).

Still investigating…