Kodak Ultima 80 24x questionable

I have purchased a couple of packs of these cdrs at Pulsar computers in Melbourne and tested a couple with my new TEAC w540e burner, @16x and @24x. I then scanned them with Nero CD speed 1.0 and had quite a few damaged blocks (yellow).

I have done the same tests with Verbatim 40x and Mitsui gold 24x and 100% error free.

I am now questioning the quality of these particular kodak cdrs.

Also, I have spotted some 24x Mitsubishi at the same shop and I am wondering whether they are the same as the Verbatim DLP Super Azo 24x? does anyone know. I couldn’t buy them individually, only in a pack of 10.

i’ve seen Kodak to vary a lot too. In fact, at the school I went to, they used compton’s CD-rom encyclopedia, and they used burned copies to avoid destroying the originals. The kodak media that they used would not even play back in some of the older machines. :a

^^ Kodak Ultimas are very … well… average when it comes to quality in my opinion. The older 12x ones work quite well but i think they’ve skimped lately. It’s visible too. The printed layer looks… bad quality on the newewr cds.

And… yeah, mitsubishis and verbatims are basically identical.

Thanks, KyRoWire

I have two boxes of the older 12x in jewel cases and I have not problems burning them- get 100% green blocks.

Regarding the mitsubishi cdrs, a box of ten 24x super azo cost $AU15 and the Verbatim DataLifePlus Super Azo 24x cost $AU10.
I guess it comes down to quantities that the shop can buy them in. In other words I shouldn’t waste my money on the actual Mitsubishi brand?

Originally posted by sozos
[B]Thanks, KyRoWire

I have two boxes of the older 12x in jewel cases and I have not problems burning them- get 100% green blocks.

Regarding the mitsubishi cdrs, a box of ten 24x super azo cost $AU15 and the Verbatim DataLifePlus Super Azo 24x cost $AU10.
I guess it comes down to quantities that the shop can buy them in. In other words I shouldn’t waste my money on the actual Mitsubishi brand? [/B]

the mitsubishi is a little bit better than the verbatim despite being the exact same thing.

Is it worth the extra money? 50% more! Or are they better than Mitsui Gold 24x?

Originally posted by cd pirate

the mitsubishi is a little bit better than the verbatim despite being the exact same thing.

This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Either they’re “the exact same thing” or they’re not. :rolleyes:

Btw sozos, if you don’t need cases, you can get 50 cdr rolls of the mitsui golds (80 min) for about $35 au at the same location (i.e. less than half the price per cdr of what you’re paying for them with cases).

Btw Philamber,

I already bought two boxes of 10 Mitsui Golds and I already burnt 6 and after tests they are all clean.

I asked the question about Mitsubishi cdrs because I am always on the look out for good quality cdrs.

I tend to compile a lot of music cds and I do need cases to store them. I do realise that spindles are good value for money but I have some reservations about their quality. Are the mitsui spindles made by the same factory as the ones in jewel cases?

I am heading up there now to check out some cdrs.

Yes, they are. Exact same quality, exact same production lines, exact same discs. CHeaper mostly due to shipping fees of the jewel cases being bigger.

Fallen,

Thank you for this valuable information.

What about the mitsubishi and verbatim brand?

Originally posted by philamber
This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Either they’re “the exact same thing” or they’re not. :rolleyes:

the mitsubishi has a different protective layer and i have noticed really tiny pinholes in the verbatims. i prefer the mitsubishi because they seem to be a bit better quality.

Originally posted by cd pirate
[B]

the mitsubishi has a different protective layer and i have noticed really tiny pinholes in the verbatims. i prefer the mitsubishi because they seem to be a bit better quality. [/B]

As pointed out, not the exact same thing by a long margin.

Ice’y

So, for the TEAC W540e burner would the original mitsubishi cdr be the ideal media? OR Mitsui Gold

Originally posted by sozos
So, for the TEAC W540e burner would the original mitsubishi cdr be the ideal media? OR Mitsui Gold

the only thing i can reccomend is that you try both and decide for yourself.