Kodak Professional Gold DVD burn failure

vbimport

I have been needing to do an extra backup of my digital photo files for some time now, but I was unsure of which media to choose as I wanted it to last as long as possible. Therefore I was happy to see the Kodak Professional Gold DVD-R, promising to last 100 years (I’d do a reburn after 5-10 years anyway, but still). So I bought 20 discs.

When I finally got around to the burning, I was very disappointed to see the backup process failed. Nero found several errors on the finished disc, so there were corrupt files. As I understand it, verification errors are due to bad DVD media, and not my NEC (ND-3550A) burner. True? I checked the disc identity, and it was MBI 01RG40, manufactured by Moser Baer India Ltd. Is this a true Kodak DVD? When I checked a website that tests DVD media, Moser Baer was classified as 3rd class media (of four), with “very questionable [quality], about 50-80% success rate”. They continue: “Many of these are known for sham marketing (“archival grade” and whatnot) and can actually cost more than 1st or 2nd class media”. This sounds like a really crap DVD media!

Does anyone else have experience of these discs? Kodak usually make high quality products (film, developer etc), so this was really disappointing.

If anyone is interested in the log file from Nero, it’s here:
www.uglyelephant.se/Log.txt
</pre>

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What you have is media made by Moser Baer India Limited, and branded by Kodak.

MBI media actually isn’t as bad as “that” website claims. While it isn’t in the TY etc league, I wouldn’t say it was 3rd class media personally. In my experience, it can be burner dependant though (while my LG and Samsung drives love it, my BenQs for example aren’t so keen).

You’re burning at 16x as well, I would reduce it to 8x - 12x.

IMO, if you want to make an extra backup, choose something like Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004). Verbatim even make an Archival Grade media, if you’re interested in that.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll try to burn at a slower speed then. But if that doesn’t work either, then there’s nothing I can do with the remaining discs, is there? I knew I should avoid the cheap no-brand discs, but that even Kodak discs would behave like this… it’s a jungle! :a

Could the burn result depend on how much free space I have on my hard drive? It’s a bit tight, and I know that Windows Explorer need a certain amount of space, but Nero Back-it-up has never complained…

These Verbatim archival discs, is it these? http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=331497 (page in Swedish but the relevant info in English)

Yep, those are the correct discs :slight_smile:

The problem with your MBIL/Kodak discs appears to be failing on verify…I’m not the best person to comment on that, as I’ve has discs pass verification in Nero and turn out unreadable on other drives, so personally I’m not sure I trust it :wink:

I would still use those discs for everyday use - movie or data backups that you have also backed up to something like Verbatim. So all is not lost, except you probably paid more for them :sad:

Sometimes burns can fail if HDD space is a bit tight…but yours aren’t failing the actual burn, they’re failing the verify. Still it may be worth freeing up some space if you can anyway. :slight_smile:

Check with Cdspeed - download it from www.cdspeed2000.com and open it. Do a “Transfer Rate Test” in your NEC.

Post the results here using the “attach file” function when posting.

I’ve used those Verbatim Archival Grade discs you linked to and they work very well. They also have a scratch proof surface, which is far from actually being scratch proof but still is far tougher than usual.

They are MCC02RG20, which are some of the best discs ever made IMO. They are far cheaper than those shitty kodaks also! Here in Australia those Kodcrap cost 9 bucks each!!! You can get almost 5 of the Verbatims for that price.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2017594]Check with Cdspeed - download it from www.cdspeed2000.com and open it. Do a “Transfer Rate Test” in your NEC.

I’ve used those Verbatim Archival Grade discs you linked to and they work very well. They also have a scratch proof surface, which is far from actually being scratch proof but still is far tougher than usual.

They are MCC02RG20, which are some of the best discs ever made IMO. They are far cheaper than those shitty kodaks also! Here in Australia those Kodcrap cost 9 bucks each!!! You can get almost 5 of the Verbatims for that price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I paid $8.99 for one of those Gold Kodak’s to satisfy my curiosity :a (it was Made in USA), haven’t burnt it yet. 5 pack of Verbs are $12 at Harris Technology. Will be buying some tomorrow :slight_smile:

[quote=cd pirate;2017594]Check with Cdspeed - download it from www.cdspeed2000.com and open it. Do a “Transfer Rate Test” in your NEC.

[/quote]

Well, this looks depressing… See the attached png file… I left the disc in the drive, does that affect results?

<table cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” width=“80%”><tbody><tr><td width=“20%”>[U]General Information[/U]</td></tr><tr><td height=“5”>
</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Operating System[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>Windows XP </td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Drive[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>_NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A </td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Firmware Version[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>1.05</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Serial Number[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>62LM428S211</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Disc[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>DVD-R</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]MID[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>MBI 01RG40</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Capacity[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>4.36 GB</td></tr> </tbody></table>
<table cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” width=“80%”><tbody><tr><td width=“20%”>[U]Transfer Rate[/U]</td></tr><tr><td height=“5”>
</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Start[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>6.57x</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]End[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>11.25x</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Average[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>10.97x</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Type[/B]</td><td width=“80%”>P-CAV</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” width=“80%”><tbody><tr><td width=“20%”>[U]Log[/U]</td></tr><tr><td height=“5”>
</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[B]Time[/B]</td><td width=“15%”>[B]Elapsed[/B]</td><td width=“65%”>[B]Action[/B]</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[00:27:52]</td><td width=“15%”>
</td><td width=“65%”>Starting transfer rate test</td></tr> <tr><td width=“20%”>[00:33:10]</td><td width=“15%”> 5:19</td><td width=“65%”>Speed:7-11 X P-CAV (10.97 X average)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Should be a smooth line. That looks like there are slowdowns. Unless you’re using an old IDE cable and the drive is not getting the full speed it needs to reach 16x, it’s simply a bad burn.

Got any different media you can do a TRT with? If they show a smooth line, it means the disc is at fault.

I might very well be using an old IDE cable! I just put the DVD writer where my old CD writer used to be (which was 5 years old). How do I know what kind of cable I have, and what I should have? I know nothing about hardware, obviously…:confused:

Could it be these slowdowns that are causing verification failure? What’s the difference between burn failure and verification failure? I’m thinking if there was no burn error, there wouldn’t be any verification errors, so it’s basically the same thing?

If you’re system’s 5 years old, the cable connected to your CD drive (and therefore now your DVD burner) will almost certainly be a 40-conductor cable. You need an 80-conductor cable for the best result at high speeds.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

You guys are great! Thanks for all your help! I’ll investigate this cable thing further, and see what I can do about it. I’m a bit nervous about opening the computer and figure out which cable goes where… Can I just replace the 40-cable with the 80-kind? Will it fit the same?

Ignore Lordsmurfs list it’s terrible and unreliable.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2017117]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What you have is media made by Moser Baer India Limited, and branded by Kodak.[/quote]
Correction :cop:. Unlikley that it’s MBIL made because true MBIL gold media is still rare at this time. Much more likely the disc’s are made by MAM-A (made in usa) using MBIL’s stampers.
made in usa -> MAM-A most of those kodak gold disc’s.
made in INdia -> MBIL a very small part of the kodak gold disc’s. Mostly cd-r’s by the way.

[QUOTE=egaeci;2018381]You guys are great! Thanks for all your help! I’ll investigate this cable thing further, and see what I can do about it. I’m a bit nervous about opening the computer and figure out which cable goes where… Can I just replace the 40-cable with the 80-kind? Will it fit the same?[/QUOTE]

No it won’t fit yet, some minor modifications are required. You need to first carefully cut the 80 wire cable into 2 sets of 40 single wires. It will look like birds nest after you’ve done that. You then have to carefully solder every second wire to a “80 pin conductor” clip. The other 40 wires you did not solder will be used to tap into another… JOKING :stuck_out_tongue:

Hilarious I know. Yes the newer cable will fit just fine :wink:

[quote=cd pirate;2018388]No it won’t fit yet, some minor modifications are required. You need to first carefully cut the 80 wire cable into 2 sets of 40 single wires. It will look like birds nest after you’ve done that. You then have to carefully solder every second wire to a “80 pin conductor” clip. The other 40 wires you did not solder will be used to tap into another… JOKING :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2018384]
Correction :cop:. Unlikley that it’s MBIL made because true MBIL gold media is still rare at this time. Much more likely the disc’s are made by MAM-A (made in usa) using MBIL’s stampers.
made in INdia -> MBIL a very small part of the kodak gold disc’s. Mostly cd-r’s by the way.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, thanks dakhaas…yeah, I’ve been hearing some interesting stuff about MBIL gold media recently from a very reliable source…I probably still had it in the back of my mind when I posted :slight_smile:

Blonde Moment :wink:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2018384]Ignore Lordsmurfs list it’s terrible and unreliable.

made in INdia -> MBIL a very small part of the kodak gold disc’s. Mostly cd-r’s by the way.[/QUOTE]

Were MAM-A (and eventually MAM-E) stampers supplied by MBI or they were just using MBI MID code? And what kind of dye did they use?