Kodak Discs (Identification)

vbimport

Okay, in this post, I'm not interested in hearing whether or not Kodaks are good or bad. I'm not interested in opinions. I know there are some people who love them, and then there are those who hate them.

For those who have had good experiences with Kodaks, I'm just trying to determine which particular Kodak you've had experience with.

I know Kodak has several varieties of CD-Rs. I'm trying to identify if what I've found are the exact Kodak CD-Rs that Kodak lovers swear by.

The current ones that I find in the market (in my area) now are these:

KODAK CD-R Ultima 80 24x (Mexico)

Lite-ON:
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 46f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = KODAK
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

ATIP info from disk - Read by Feurio 1.65:
Recorder: LITE-ON - LTR-32123S
ATIP start of lead in: -02:32:29 (sector: -11429)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:74 (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code: 97 27 46 - Kodak Japan Limited (Type: 6)
Reference speed: -
Minimum recording speed: -
Maximum recording speed: -
Unrestriced use: No
Disc type: Not Rewriteable
Disc subtype: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-)
Target writing power: 4
Power multiplication factor:-
Target y value: -
Erase/writer power ratio: -

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Well, buddy, the matter has been discussed back and forth, day in and day out.
Nevermind, in case if you’re interested in some issues here at the forum, just try to use “search” feature first . This is the simpliest way to find what you’re looking for. Right ?

In the meantime, I’ve done this tough job :bigsmile: 4 ya and here’s the result :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=114127&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Good luck ! :wink:

Hi, err, buddy. I did indeed use the search function prior to writing my post, and believe it or not, I did manage to get the same “search” results as you did.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. Or perhaps you simply glanced through my post.

Regardless, if you’re still interested in “helping” me out, then you would notice that when clicking on the individual posts of the search results, that a lot of people mention simply Kodak without reference to the exact Kodak CD-R. They are just simply stating the brand name.

But, when people do that, they can be talking about different varieties of Kodak. Perhaps they speak of the discontinued golds, or the gold/silver ones, the gold 8x ones, the 16x ones, etc. And then there are version issues of the same specific CD-R. For example, perhaps the Ultima has had versions in 74 minutes, in 80 minutes, made in Mexico, or made in some other country, etc.

They are all still Kodaks, but which exact one are people talking about?

I am not interested in the quality of Kodaks in general, as a lot of the posts discuss.

I am interested in those who have claimed that Kodaks are good to tell me the specific Kodak they are referring to (rather than just name the brand). This includes model, write speed, place of manufacture, etc.

Hmm… I guess to make myself more clear, let’s envision the following scenario. I’m shopping for a car. I hear a lot of pepole mention Honda Civics are pretty good. But which one? For all I know, they’re talking about the 1992 Honda Civic or the 1998 Civic, or even last year’s model. But that’s not enough, because they could be talking about the Si, the Special Edition version, or the one actually made in Japan, and so on.

It’s entirely possible that I may have missed the several posts that users give specific reference to the exact Kodak CD-R they’ve used. Perhaps you can point to the abundant (due to this issue apparently being discussed “back and forth, day in and day out”) posts that do so? Specific ones… I would be ecstatic with around 4 posts that give specifics (for consensus purposes).

All I have seen is, “Kodaks are the best,” or “Kodaks work really well,” etc.

The ideal post would be one that says something like this: “Oh yeah, I have had awesome experience with the Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 24x that was made in Mexico with the following ATIP,” because that’s what I asked for in my original post.

Thanks to anyone who can offer this information without attitude! :smiley:

Btw, Boskin, thanks for your “help”, but no reply is necessary unless you can give me something close to my ideal post above (2 paragraphs up). Seriously, “If you don’t know the answer, just DO NOT FORCE yourself to reply it. Otherwise it’s highly misleading. And the folks here are supposed to get a helping hand and really professional answers. Isn’t that true ?!” (Actually, that’s a quote from you, which, ahem, I’ve managed to find using the rare skills of using the “search” function…http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47029). To reply without really answering what exactly I’m asking for would be off-topic and not very helpful and professional.

royboy…please stay calm when somebody answers in a way you do not like
…more people will asnwer if you behave friendly

I myself can’t seem to get any kodaks near were i live. I use to buy Kodak Gold in Germany. Do not know what speed they had…but i liked them a lot…never got a coaster. But that were the 6 speed times…lol

@royboy 123

Hello again ! Thanks for your prompt reply and for quoting me.
Sorry for being so inconsiderate.

“and believe it or not, I did manage to get the same “search” results as you did.”
Great ! Which means that we now may sleep peacefully and quietly- the function works fine and treats us equally.

“Oh yeah, I have had awesome experience with the Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 16x that was made in Mexico with the following ATIP,” :

Kodak Ultima 80 16x 700MB ( 25 pcs spindle )

ATIP info from disk - Read by Feurio 1.65
ATIP start of lead in: -02:32:30 (sector: -11430)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:74 (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code: 97 27 45 - Kodak Japan Limited (Type: 5)
Disc type: Not Rewriteable
Disc subtype: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-)
Target writing power: 3

Hopefully this will be more helpful to you.