Knock on wood?

I heard the song Knock on Wood by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones today and I got to wondering what does knock on wood mean? I asked a few friends and no one seems to know. Anyone know?

In our country,it’s associated with “I hope I get some luck on this matter”
It’s origin is based on superstition…knock on wood before you have to do some things that frighten you,and you might get away with it…:slight_smile:

Or it sometimes means that I hope this never happens. It depends on where you live.

I thought it means you’ve been having more luck than others on certain matters, and to continue such good fortune, you should knock on wood.

Originally posted by Stoner
I thought it means you’ve been having more luck than others on certain matters, and to continue such good fortune, you should knock on wood.

This is my understanding also.

Practical explanation, dialog:

1. I hope I do not fall of a cliff during my golf game!
  2. I sure hope so, indeed!
  3. Let’s knock on wood…

the wood musn’t be painted…

“I have never had a speeding ticket !” (And he knocks on wood , hoping that in the future , he will not have one either)

In my local culture, the expression is holding wood instead of knocking on it. The meaning however, is the same; hoping for something to happen (or not).

But then again, that’s just my local culture; the same in which my friends and I have a tradition on a party to fake you have something private to say to a girl who thinks she’s great and belch loudly in her ear :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Practical explanation, dialog:

1. I hope I do not fall of a cliff during my golf game!
  2. I sure hope so, indeed! <—
  3. Let’s knock on wood…

[/B]

Nice friend :slight_smile:

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Originally posted by Wannes

But then again, that’s just my local culture; the same in which my friends and I have a tradition on a party to fake you have something private to say to a girl who thinks she’s great and belch loudly in her ear :stuck_out_tongue:

OMG. Humour of a super level ! … NOT.