Kingston HyperX Savage 128GB USB3.1 Gen 1 Review

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following review: Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB3.1 Gen 1 Review[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/04/hyperx_logo-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The HyperX Savage USB3.1 is one of the fastest drives that you can get, and Kingston was kind to provide me one for an in-depth review. So click here to find out everything about the HyperX Savage USB.3.1

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/kingston-hyperx-savage-64gb-usb3-1-gen-1-review-79079/](http://www.myce.com/review/kingston-hyperx-savage-64gb-usb3-1-gen-1-review-79079/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks for the review.

I think you’re being too kind to this kind of drive by only focusing on the performance on large files. This drive is pretty awful at handling small files compared to some other high-performance drives like e.g. the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB.

Let’s compare two benchmarks of the Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB and the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB, which I have and ran some tests on for this thread.

Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB (Crystal Disk Mark)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (Crystal Disk Mark)

Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB (FastCopy)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (FastCopy) (Windows Defender in Normal mode)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (FastCopy) (Windows Defender set to exclude the FastCopy.exe process)

The fileset I used for FastCopy is not the same as yours but it’s approximately the same size.

The SanDisk drive is at least 8-9 times faster than the Kingston HyperX Savage for small files while the Kingston is up to 40% faster for large files.

In my opinion an “Excellent” drive shouldn’t have a major weakness like this, so I think the Kingston is only good for large files while being less than Excellent overall. Users should be aware of such weaknesses.

Great review Antonis.:wink:

Kinda confusing whether you’re reviewing the 64 or 128 versions of this drive. It does make a difference.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2771942]Thanks for the review.

I think you’re being too kind to this kind of drive by only focusing on the performance on large files. This drive is pretty awful at handling small files compared to some other high-performance drives like e.g. the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB.

Let’s compare two benchmarks of the Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB and the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB, which I have and ran some tests on for this thread.

Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB (Crystal Disk Mark)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (Crystal Disk Mark)

Kingston HyperX Savage 128 GB (FastCopy)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (FastCopy) (Windows Defender in Normal mode)

SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB (FastCopy) (Windows Defender set to exclude the FastCopy.exe process)

The fileset I used for FastCopy is not the same as yours but it’s approximately the same size.

The SanDisk drive is at least 8-9 times faster than the Kingston HyperX Savage for small files while the Kingston is up to 40% faster for large files.

In my opinion an “Excellent” drive shouldn’t have a major weakness like this, so I think the Kingston is only good for large files while being less than Excellent overall. Users should be aware of such weaknesses.[/QUOTE]

I cant comment on the SanDisk because i haven’t tested it, so I’ll take your word for it.
I have seen faster drives on the small file test, but I personally believe that most people will copy large files, such as flac, mp3, movies, isos, and very few will copy 48128 files, so my priority is on lagre files.

DrageMester thank you for your comments, as always they are correct and you give a lot to think about.

[QUOTE=CDan;2771962]Kinda confusing whether you’re reviewing the 64 or 128 versions of this drive. It does make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Its the 128GB drive I will fix this asap, thank you for the correction.

Prices have come down so drastically that 128gb USB sticks are in the 60 dollar range, whereas just last year they were double that.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772010]Prices have come down so drastically that 128gb USB sticks are in the 60 dollar range, whereas just last year they were double that.[/QUOTE]

Prices going down while speed and size going up, I am sure that many like it that way :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772010]Prices have come down so drastically that 128gb USB sticks are in the 60 dollar range, whereas just last year they were double that.[/QUOTE] I recently bought a couple of decent Samsung 128 GB USB 3.0 sticks for approx. $46 each. The don’t perform as well as the Kingston or SanDisk drives above, but they are faster than most drives (120 MB/s read and 40 MB/s write).

$46 at Danish price levels including 25% VAT should translate to $30 - $35 in the US.

[QUOTE=vroom;2772029]Prices going down while speed and size going up, I am sure that many like it that way :bigsmile:[/QUOTE] Only read speeds are generally going up while write speeds are only going up on performance drives.

I bought a 32 GB SanDisk-something drive this year which only had 4 MB/s write speed. I have 7-8 year old drives which are 5x faster than that. :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772037]Only read speeds are generally going up while write speeds are only going up on performance drives.

I bought a 32 GB SanDisk-something drive this year which only had 4 MB/s write speed. I have 7-8 year old drives which are 5x faster than that. :doh:[/QUOTE]
They give drives away faster than that here Drage. I threw away all my 4mbs write speed USB drives. I stick with the Sandisc Extreme 128gbs thatwas 59.99 on Amazon, and still is today. I also use alot of Lexar USB P10 USB.I am definately going to try the HyperX though, I just bought the Hyper X SSD 960gb Savage.

For me in the USA, this is the best deal on the market with the LexarP20 128 close behind. I am taking into account build quality and speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Savage256GB-HXS3-256GB/dp/B017OUHFZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460469196&sr=1-3&keywords=Kingston+Savage+USB 256gb Kingston Savage USB 3.1

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772105]For me in the USA, this is the best deal on the market with the LexarP20 128 close behind. I am taking into account build quality and speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Savage256GB-HXS3-256GB/dp/B017OUHFZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460469196&sr=1-3&keywords=Kingston+Savage+USB 256gb Kingston Savage USB 3.1[/QUOTE] Samsung makes some inexpensive and reasonably performing drives (120MB/s Read and 40 MB/s Write). I bought mine at a brick-and-mortar shop but links to Amazon here, currently selling at $34.99 for 128 GB.

Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive 128GB MUF-128BA

Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT 128GB MUF-128BB

The problem with discount drives being that performance specs can change without notice.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772145]Samsung makes some inexpensive and reasonably performing drives (120MB/s Read and 40 MB/s Write). I bought mine at a brick-and-mortar shop but links to Amazon here, currently selling at $34.99 for 128 GB.

Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive 128GB MUF-128BA

Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT 128GB MUF-128BB

The problem with discount drives being that performance specs can change without notice.[/QUOTE]

My problem now is to find some good 4gb USB 3.0 sticks for Windows 10 Pro.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772156]My problem now is to find some good 4gb USB 3.0 sticks for Windows 10 Pro.[/QUOTE]

Thats is going to be a problem, most new drives are 8GB or 16GB, but in any case you can use that extra space to add some drivers and software that you frequently use.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772156]My problem now is to find some good 4gb USB 3.0 sticks for Windows 10 Pro.[/QUOTE] I’m not sure if you’re serious or just kidding?!

I can’t find drives smaller than 8 GB here and I don’t know any reason you would need a 4 GB drive. 8 GB drives cost nearly the same as 16 GB drives, so I wouldn’t buy anything less than 16 GB myself.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772203]I’m not sure if you’re serious or just kidding?!

I can’t find drives smaller than 8 GB here and I don’t know any reason you would need a 4 GB drive. 8 GB drives cost nearly the same as 16 GB drives, so I wouldn’t buy anything less than 16 GB myself.[/QUOTE] I am talking about a good drive to install Windows 10 Pro, none of the editions are more than 4gbs, I do clean installation frequently, especially on my neighbors infected machines. Its nice not waste space. If I use a crap USB stick it always has an issue. So I guess I have to find a quality 16gb and waste the rest of the space.

If you want to have both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro on the same USB Flash Drive, which is something that Media Creation Tool can do, you’ll need at least an 8 GB drive anyway.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772263]If you want to have both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro on the same USB Flash Drive, which is something that Media Creation Tool can do, you’ll need at least an 8 GB drive anyway.[/QUOTE]
I just ordered these, they will do- 5 pack

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772323]I just ordered these, they will do- 5 pack

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-256GB-Supersonic-Boost-Flash/dp/B00F9V72H4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1460408411&sr=8-5&keywords=supersonic+boost+xt&linkCode=sl1&tag=patrmemo04-20&linkId=413a4976ee04bc161153abbb4e61e09c[/QUOTE] So if you can’t find 4 GB drives you’ll use 256 GB drives instead?! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772340]So if you can’t find 4 GB drives you’ll use 256 GB drives instead?! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE] No thats just the link, you have to select the 8gb 5 pack. ;):wink: