Kingston HyperX 3K SSD review

I just posted the article Kingston HyperX 3K SSD review.

MyCE is taking an indepth look on the Kingston HyperX 3K SSD. The Kingston HyperX 3K comes with the 25nm NAND from Intel and uses the Sandforce SF-2281 processor. Continue reading to find out more…

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/kingston-hyperx-3k-ssd-review-61544/](http://www.myce.com/review/kingston-hyperx-3k-ssd-review-61544/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well, not one comment. Ok, we got one now. This is a good review of real world performance. My HyperX 3K 120GB will be here tomorrow. After I get it installed I’ll post what I think of it.

It is my first SSD and is going to be my OS drive. My 1TB Seagate will be the storage drive. I expect great results.

Got mine for $60…a steal for sure, today anyway.

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656042]Well, not one comment. Ok, we got one now. This is a good review of real world performance. My HyperX 3K 120GB will be here tomorrow. After I get it installed I’ll post what I think of it.

It is my first SSD and is going to be my OS drive. My 1TB Seagate will be the storage drive. I expect great results.

Got mine for $60…a steal for sure, today anyway.[/QUOTE]

The HyperX 3K is an excellent drive, and for only $60 you cant go wrong.
It would be nice to read your personal experience with this drive, also some tests will be welcome. :cool:

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656042]Well, not one comment. Ok, we got one now. This is a good review of real world performance. My HyperX 3K 120GB will be here tomorrow. After I get it installed I’ll post what I think of it.

Got mine for $60…a steal for sure, today anyway.[/QUOTE]

Mine Arrived today and for some reason I suspect we were both up in the wee hours of Thursday morning to actually get the deal from Newegg

Right now I’m at the point just short of screaming frustration…

I am running my Desktop off the “Clone” of my OS drive that I keep trying to switch from RAID to AHCI…
Yeah I know all about changing the paramater in machine key from “3” to “0” but oddly it was ALREADY set to “0” when I went into
machinekey with regedit.

Changing from RAID to AHCI still results in a BSoD and a no-start
and an invitation to launch startup repair…

So to restart I get to go into setup and change the SATA controller mode back to RAID…

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2656167]Mine Arrived today and for some reason I suspect we were both up in the wee hours of Thursday morning to actually get the deal from Newegg

Right now I’m at the point just short of screaming frustration…

I am running my Desktop off the “Clone” of my OS drive that I keep trying to switch from RAID to AHCI…
Yeah I know all about changing the paramater in machine key from “3” to “0” but oddly it was ALREADY set to “0” when I went into
machinekey with regedit.

Changing from RAID to AHCI still results in a BSoD and a no-start
and an invitation to launch startup repair…

So to restart I get to go into setup and change the SATA controller mode back to RAID…

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!![/QUOTE]This small tool from MS should fix it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Run it from whichever mode is working for you at the moment, then reboot to the BIOS and set it AHCI mode.

[QUOTE=Dee;2656174]This small tool from MS should fix it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Run it from whichever mode is working for you at the moment, then reboot to the BIOS and
set it AHCI mode.[/QUOTE]

Dee, I already tried that one, before I tried the manual Regedit that has been floating around
in several tutorials for a couple years.

I’ve already decided that the next person I talk to in person who mentions how wonderful SSDs
are is going to get kicked in the shin. (as I’m 6’4" and 300lb this will likely break their leg)

I’m sure SSD’s are “wonderful”, just the actions necissary to switch to them are a long
path of frustration.

I started another topic so as not to clutter this thread, but I’m currently stuck in RAID
mode and switching the controller to AHCI crashes my system and I can get the system
back up by switching the controller back.

Until I’m convinced TRIM will function the SSB is an expensive paperweight that is
sitting here mocking me…

I’m sure I’ll laugh about it when I find the solution, but until them I will be unpleasant
to be near…

Upon further reading I’ve been misled.

IF that parameter is already set to “0”, as it would be in a modern SATA-only
computer set in RAID mode, then there is nothing that needs to be done.

I was told “You gotta do this”, and when it didn’t work I got frustrated.
Because I was mis-informed I was actually trying to do something that
my system didn’t need.

And now I’m really ticked off because I’ve wasted nine hours chasing this issue…

and I’m otherwise occupied tomorrow.

So I don’t get to install this thing until wednesday…

AD

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I built this machine in January 2011 and needless to say there was a lot of test (not as in benchmark) software installed to figure out what I liked.

I was going to use Migrate OS and decided not to, so here I am…fresh install, trying to get basic stuff going. It really flies! Blew by boots off…gonna be a pain when winter hits!

I done the ACHI thing a long time ago and installed that way so I think I am good to go.

I left my 1TB drive in tact and installed Win7 to SSD. It put the boot loader on the 1TB drive. So not iy has 1…Win7 2…Mandriva and 3 Win7…the second win7 is the one on the HDD so I should be able to go export stuff.

Mine did require a Firmware update!!! From 5.1 to 5.3!!!

Gonna bench it in a few when I get something installed to work with screen shots.

Post any help you can…I’ve heard to turn off write cache and a few other things. I’d have to look them up so if anyone knows all that stuff please post for all of new guys.

I know where to find the setting, I just forgot what all ones to change to help the life of the drive.

AND NO, I was not up all night. I was resting for a back surgery…I missed out…Next day I checked it 50 times and had one in my cart for 53.99 because it was listed at 93.99, so I tried to add another and lost it…went back, ended up with one! It was past noon.

Looks like something might not be quite right. Going to go look at the review to compare. Here is the first:

Yep, something wrong. Going to change to MSACHI driver to AMD one.

Ok, the first one is mine and the second one is from the review. As you can see my write speeds seem to be way down and read is not quite where I think it should be.

Any ideas?

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656445]Ok, the first one is mine and the second one is from the review. As you can see my write speeds seem to be way down and read is not quite where I think it should be.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Is your drive the 120 GB model?

Compare to another review that features the 120 GB model. For the second set of results with incompressible data, the reviewer gets ~180 MB/s: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4902/kingston_hyperx_3k_120gb_solid_state_drive_review/index8.html

Other reviewers also see their 120 GB sitting at around the same mark for 1 GB (10^3 MB) of incompressible data in CrystalDiskMark. The 240 GB drive appears to handle better for that particular test, which makes some sense. It might just be the typical rule of thumb for flash memory controllers: (explained poorly) the increased capacities come with more flash chips, allowing the SSD controller to access more memory channels, vastly improving write performance.

Of course, this could be one of the drives where that makes no sense, but that would be my best guess.

You have the smaller 120GB drive vs the 240GB that was reviewed. The smaller SSDs can’t utilize all the channels available in the controller and are slower. Albert got it quite right.

You know…thanks alot! I forgot, I read in the specs that the 120 was different from a 240 and read that review.

I wanted a Sandisk Extreme but in those tests this one beat it by just a bit.

It does fly. I’ll post some more from HD Tune and stuff so these other guys will have something to go by.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2656449]You have the smaller 120GB drive vs the 240GB that was reviewed. The smaller SSDs can’t utilize all the channels available in the controller and are slower. Albert got it quite right.[/QUOTE]

Why is that, do you know?

It really is as simple as the fact that the controller has the horsepower to pump data to more memory chips than the smaller 120GB contains. It is slowed down by having less memory to work with in the smaller drive.

Though as you said, still a nice speed up from a HD, isn’t it ? :slight_smile:

Clear as mud as they say. No, really I get it. More chips=more places to sling data, less chips=bottle neck. Now that I fully understand that I’ll be getting some 240’s and put this in my wifes laptop. She is not a geek like us and gets real frustrated when it don’t go “when she thinks it should!”.

Yeah, love it. But want a 240 for that speed and so I can put both OS’s on it…

Maybe two 240’s. Hope Allen gets his all borked out.

…^^^^ is supposed to say all worked out!

Just had to leave it there! Hahahaha

Also this helped me out a bit: http://www.ab9il.net/windows-tips/windows-7-ssd-setup.html

But I think I got it pretty close. Going to have to read about it when I’m not so tired.

Have a look in Dee’s latest review for a sense of which drives give you the most real-world horsepower for your wife’s laptop ;).

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656450]You know…thanks alot! I forgot, I read in the specs that the 120 was different from a 240 and read that review.

I wanted a Sandisk Extreme but in those tests this one beat it by just a bit.

It does fly. I’ll post some more from HD Tune and stuff so these other guys will have something to go by.[/QUOTE]

What got me to buy the Kingston was that the Kingston beat
the Sandisk Extreme by $50.

But frankly if I had the extra $50 available I would’ve bought
one of the 120gb Intel 550 series drives that Newegg is selling
for $124.99

If I stumble into an extra $125 I’ll probably buy one of those
TOO and the Kingston will be my backup… then again the way prices are falling I half expect to see the intels for $89 (or less) for Black Friday.

Now just ponder wht the Kingston might be selling for by then… :slight_smile:

AD

[QUOTE=yankee495;2656445]Ok, the first one is mine and the second one is from the review. As you can see my write speeds seem to be way down and read is not quite where I think it should be.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Crystal Disk and AS SSD both use incompressible data, and therefor a lot of Sandforce SSD’s tend to show a slower performance.
You can testing your drive with ATTO, ATTO will be able to give the max on compressible sequential data, and almost every manufacturer uses it.

The numbers you have there are very good, and you should be able to feel the difference between your HDD and your SSD.

What is your motherboard?