King Kong, Problems with DVD Shrink reading VIDEO_TS.VOB again

vbimport

This is a similar problem I had with another movie concerning AnyDVD rip to hard drive and then using DVD Shrink.

Ripped to hard drive ok. Opened DVD Shrink and got an error “cannot read VIDEO_TS.VOB”.

Unlike the last movie where the VIDEO_TS.VOB was not in the ripped folder, this time it was but DVD Shrink could not read it. I checked the original DVD and compared the sizes on the 2 VIDEO_TS.VOB files and they were different sizes. I then copied the VIDEO_TS.VOB from the original and pasted in the ripped folder, overwriting the old one.

This time DVD Shrink processed it fine.

I also had a problem the same as Mike89, when I tried to rip King Kong to the hard drive using AnyDVD 5.9.5.3. CloneDVD2 couldn’t read the file.
To get around the problem I just dragged the Video TS folder from off the disc onto my hard drive, with AnyDVD running. CloneDVD2 then copied the film with no problem.
Is it a problem with AnyDVD version 5.9.5.3?

Try 5.9.5.6 and see it helps.

Simply have Anydvd running in the background (and don’t use this program, by itself, to rip) and let Shrink do the work–or simply drag and drop the video_ts folder to your hard drive using Windows Explorer. Ensure “copy protection based on unreadable sectors” is checked off (under feature removal) first. For Nero Recode, uncheck this option.

Granted, I haven’t tested King Kong, but I’ve been able to duplicate the problem you’re having with Shrink only when using Anydvd ripper (version 5.9.5.6). It seems to me there are only special cases where using Anydvd ripper is advisable or even required. I only use Anydvd ripper now when the first two methods I stated above, fail. In other words, FixVTS is rarely required anymore when “copy protection based on unreadable sectors” is selected in anydvd when using Shrink. And FixVTS is rarely required anymore when that feature is unselected in Anydvd when using Recode.

I didnt seem to have this problem, as the menu wasnnt paticually exciting i just ripped the main move to dvd. Id suggest you try the same.

I mainly like to copy to hard drive for a couple of reasons.

I just like the idea of DVD Shrink or Recode 2 working off the hard drive instead of having to do all that processing straight off the DVD. Those programs also work quicker off the hard drive (even though there is the additional time of copying to hard drive first).

There is also the added benefit of making another copy if the burn goes bad without having to put the DVD in again.

Another reason is I’m a die hard full screen dude. I never got used to watching movies on my full screen TV and getting robbed of my viewing screen (turning my 32" TV into a 19" TV). I just don’t like it and never will. When that day comes when I own a widescreen TV, then widescreen movies will be fine but for now I want to view the whole screen I paid for. I use IfoEdit to change the ifo’s to fullscreen (thanks to Oilman for the help discovering and using that). Can’t do that off the DVD. While this method will only change 16x9 or 1:85x1 to fullscreen, it’s better than nothing. On 2:35x1 or 2:40x1, it will only change it to 16x9, so that helps a bit too, at least it gives more viewable screen to watch. I buy my movies in Fullscreen but there are some that just don’t come in Fullscreen, so those I adjust as much as possible.

In my personal experience, this merely adds to my overall time if I rip to a harddrive first. Regardless, you can still (as I mentioned before) drag and drop the video_ts folder to your harddrive (with Anydvd running in the background) using Windows Explorer instead of using Anydvd ripper.
This bypasses the Fixvts stuff, which, in this case, I believe is causing the problem when using Shrink . . .

There is also the added benefit of making another copy if the burn goes bad without having to put the DVD in again.

With some programs, you don’t have to (the processed files are stored in a temp directory).

I know, but I’m just not a CloneDVD2 fan. I have the program but just don’t use it. DVD Shrink is my all time favorite (it’s what I started with) and Recode 2 is second.

Even though I’ve seen Recode 2 accept ripped files that DVD Shrink wouldn’t, there are a couple things I don’t like about it. One, it doesn’t save the .iso like DVD Shrink does (at least I have not seen a way to make Recode 2 not delete it after the burn) and for multiple Titles (like widescreen and fullscreen for example) on the same disk, Recode 2 chooses which one it’s going to take (making movie only), where DVD Shrink shows them both and you can view to decide which one you want. Recode 2 went a little too automated there (to make it simple for the dummies I guess) and should have left the old manual method.

What’s also nice about these two programs is that when having multiple sound entries, you can view and listen to each one to know which ones you don’t want (like Directors cut audio that is not labled as such). Can’t do that with CloneDVD2. Also the frame by frame editing for removing before or after movie stuff instead of the chapter by chapter way that CloneDVD2 does it. If CloneDVD 2 changed that stuff (and got rid of that stupid looking cartoon interface), I would use it exclusively.

I’m not sure about the .iso, but the actual processed video files are kept in Recode’s temp directory until you process another title.

and for multiple Titles (like widescreen and fullscreen for example) on the same disk, Recode 2 chooses which one it’s going to take (making movie only)

If you pick “Recode an entire dvd to dvd”, don’t you get the option of selecting whatever you want? I don’t know if I have a dvd in my collection with both the fullscreen and widescreen movie on the same disc, so I probably can’t test this.

Anyway, for ripping, you can just drag and drop the video_ts folder to your harddrive with anydvd running in the background (you don’t need to use anydvd ripper–and, for now, unless you are having problems with the drag and drop method, I would avoid using anydvd ripper).

Anyway, for ripping, you can just drag and drop the video_ts folder to your hard drive with anydvd running in the background (you don’t need to use anydvd ripper).

Well that kinda defeats the purpose of having it in the first place doesn’t it? I like it fine except those occasions where it leaves out the .vob (resulting in DVD Shrink not accepting it). Having that check box there (that unreferenced thing) is kind of a hit or miss deal, I mean you have to know beforehand whether to check it or not, and the only way to really know is to rip it first. So it kind of makes that option non functional in practice (having to guess each time).

My impression is that anydvd ripper is now only useful in very specific instances (i.e. faulty VOBU pointers or mastering errors):

from http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1371700&postcount=21

1. Check it off = Shrink

2. Uncheck it = Recode

At least, in my experince, so far . . .

Moreover, you can simply test Anydvd settings without ripping, and just attempt to import first using Shrink and Recode. If you are able to do so without any problems, this likely indicates you have the correct Anydvd setting selected, and you can then go ahead and drag and drop to your harddrive.

Anydvd ripper is for fixing mastering errors…

Yeah, and it seems unlikely to me this is the issue with King Kong (I don’t have this title, so I can’t test my theory–but if Mike89 is able to compare file sizes and is otherwise dragging and dropping a file off the original disc anyway, then I think we can rule out mastering errors . . .). As such, Anydvd ripper (5.9.5.6) should probably be avoided with Shrink for this disc. Either drag and drop the video_ts folder with “copy protection based on unreadable Sectors” checked off in Anydvd–or simply have anydvd running in the background and attempt to import the disc using Shrink.

just ditch the menu, its poo anyway

I have had no problem with King Kong using DVD Shrink without even AnyDVD. Your problem may be some where else.

I used AnyDVD ripper to hard drive, then copy to DL using CloneDVD2 with out any problems. I also used DVD Rebuilder pro and backed up to a SL disc (Movie only) with great results considering it had to reduce to 51.8% to fit the 3 hr movie.

The issue with respect to Anydvd ripper is Shrink. No one should be experiencing difficulties backing up King Kong with Clonedvd2.

Webslinger wrote:

The issue with respect to Anydvd ripper is Shrink. No one should be experiencing difficulties backing up King Kong with Clonedvd2.

If you see the second post in this thread, I had problems with CloneDVD2, which I resolved by just dragging and dropping with AnyDVD running in the background.

If you see the second post in this thread, I had problems with CloneDVD2, which I resolved by just dragging and dropping with AnyDVD running in the background.

Given that curtiscwilson experienced no issues (and provided you are both using discs with the same region code), I suggest you either had a setting wrong within Anydvd, your original disc is dirty or damaged, or you were not using the latest version of Anydvd, which is 5.9.5.6. Keep in mind you don’t need to rip to the harddrive at all before using Clonedvd2, since Clonedvd2 basically does this anyway before burning.

1. Check it off = Shrink

2. Uncheck it = Recode

Actually, that’s not right; I made a mistake.

My findings have been, so far, when using Recode 2.2.8.5 with Arccos, Puppetlock titles are that “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” should be enabled. Examples include Region 1 of The Cave and The Legend of Zorro.

When using Recode 2.2.8.5 with Macrovision RipGuard protected titles, such as Region 1 Flightplan and The Chronicles of Narnia, “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” should be disabled.

Actually, the only time I’ve had to disable “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” when using Recode 2.2.8.5 has been with Macrovision RipGuard protected titles, so far.

You can find the type of protection used under the “Information” screen in Anydvd. Shrink works on both of these protections when Anydvd has “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” enabled.

I hope that helps.