Killed my DRW1008IM already!?!

vbimport

Hello all, having a few probs hope someone can help.

Installed my 1008IM as secondary slave in my system, booted up, winXP recognised it, installed it for me and it appeared in My Computer as my new F drive (pushing my previous F drive down to H). All seemed well, I checked device manager and there were no exclamation marks, etc - until I tried using the d@mn drive!

All I would get was “please insert disk”…

Anyhoo, I downloaded, installed and ran the Liveupdate program like it said on the sticker (on the front of the drive). LU then downloaded and installed update #0358 (previously 0055). LU asked me to restart which I did.

Sorry for the long back story, but here’s the problem - now whenever I boot up, XP loads, I access my account (if I’m quick enough) just in time to see a “found new CD drive”-bubble, then the PC just loses power and reboots - only to repeat the same pattern again.

Have I killed this drive by doing the recommended firmware upgrade? Can I save it? Please help.

If you guys need any further info from me to help, then just let me know.

Cheers,
Dan.

Primary master = HDD1 (boot drive)
Primary slave = HDD2 (storage)
Sec. Master = LG CD-RW
Sec slave = BTC DRW1008IM DVD+/-RW

Motherboard = Jetway 866as ultra
Processor = AMD Duron 1Ghz

hy,

is your system booting correct when you disconnect the 1008 from the sec. slave???

cya

Thanks for replying, herbei.

Yes, when I unplug the drive, everything works fine.

Its just that since updating the firmware, it won’t let me boot up fully. Weird…

I know there are a few thing I could try such as swapping it round with the sec.master, trying it in another machine, but any suggestions on what to try first?

Thanks again,
Dan.

hy,

I would connect the drive as secondary master without a slave and flash the drive in dos back to an previos fw version. ( use the search function in this forum to find a guide). there is maybe something gone wrong when updating to the new fw.

to space out problems with your sys ( hardware, software…) try the drive in an other pc, if possible.

Installed my 1008IM as secondary slave in my system, booted up, winXP recognised it, installed it for me and it appeared in My Computer as my new F drive (pushing my previous F drive down to H). All seemed well, I checked device manager and there were no exclamation marks, etc - until I tried using the d@mn drive!

All I would get was “please insert disk”…

what discs have you used? maybe not supported?

if the disks were supported and the drive makes the problems also on an other pc. i would bring the drive back to the dealer for changing to a new one.

cu

Thanks for your advice herbei.

After much testing, I detemined that the drive was a dud. I took it back to the store (like you suggested) and they swapped it for a new one which works perfectly.

Cheers dude!