Kill clock started for Firefox 3.0

This is a partial excerpt from an article posted on Computerworld.

Link: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9135001

Mozilla launches Firefox 3.5, starts kill clock for older 3.0

The appearance of Firefox 3.5 also starts the end-of-life clock ticking for Firefox 3.0. Mozilla’s policy is to support an older edition for only six months after the launch of a successor, meaning the kill date for Version 3.0 will be Dec. 31, 2009. At or around that time, Mozilla will stop producing security patches for the older browser.

To address that, and to move more users from 3.0 to 3.5 in a shorter span, Mozilla has changed from past practice and started offering the upgrade to Firefox 3.x users today. They can update by selecting “Check for Updates” under the “Help” menu.

The change, said Mozilla developer John O’Duinn in a blog post yesterday, is significant: The first time Firefox 3.0 was offered to Firefox 2.x users, for example, was more than two months after the former’s release. “This means people should be able to migrate from FF3.0->FF3.5 faster then we have historically seen people migrate from FF1.5->FF2.0 or FF2.0->FF3.0,” O’Duinn said.

Mozilla will also be able to offer Firefox 3.x users what it calls “major update” offers on a continuous basis, rather than having to build, then rebuild each offer. “This means we can issue, and re-issue, major updates as often as we like to users … [and] users who passively wait for major updates will now only be shown a major update dialog box when [Mozilla executives] ask for the ‘background-idle’ major update to be unthrottled,” said O’Duinn.

The appearance of Firefox 3.5 also starts the end-of-life clock ticking for Firefox 3.0. Mozilla’s policy is to support an older edition for only six months after the launch of a successor, meaning the kill date for Version 3.0 will be Dec. 31, 2009. At or around that time, Mozilla will stop producing security patches for the older browser.

To address that, and to move more users from 3.0 to 3.5 in a shorter span, Mozilla has changed from past practice and started offering the upgrade to Firefox 3.x users today. They can update by selecting “Check for Updates” under the “Help” menu.

The change, said Mozilla developer John O’Duinn in a blog post yesterday, is significant: The first time Firefox 3.0 was offered to Firefox 2.x users, for example, was more than two months after the former’s release. “This means people should be able to migrate from FF3.0->FF3.5 faster then we have historically seen people migrate from FF1.5->FF2.0 or FF2.0->FF3.0,” O’Duinn said.

Mozilla will also be able to offer Firefox 3.x users what it calls “major update” offers on a continuous basis, rather than having to build, then rebuild each offer. “This means we can issue, and re-issue, major updates as often as we like to users … [and] users who passively wait for major updates will now only be shown a major update dialog box when [Mozilla executives] ask for the ‘background-idle’ major update to be unthrottled,” said O’Duinn.

“Open-source is certainly well-received in the EU,” said McLeish, “but [any change in share] will really depend on what decisions the OEMs make, and how they will offer alternative browsers. It’s too early to get any insight into what those relationships will be. But it’s a good time for Firefox or Chrome, or even Opera, to forge new relationships with OEMs.”

Firefox 3.5 can be downloaded in Windows, Mac and Linux editions in nearly 60 different languages from Mozilla’s site; current users can update by choosing “Check for Updates” under the “Help” menu.

:cool::cool:

Sorry for the doubled up paragraphs. :slight_smile:

We just figured it was a doubly important message platinumsword. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It’s been one of those days. :slight_smile:

I thought it was me.
I thought it was me.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2301428]Sorry for the doubled up paragraphs. :slight_smile:

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE] Is posting the same thing twice [I]in the same post[/I] considered cross-posting? :stuck_out_tongue:

Only if it makes people angry :stuck_out_tongue: